1973 VW Type 181 Thing: Unmolested! No rust! Weekly Driver! NO RESERVE !!
- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Thing
- Type: Convertible
- Year: 1973
- Mileage: 9,999,999
- VIN: 1833024986
- Color: Orange
- Engine size: 1600
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1973 Volkswagen Thing
1973 VW Type 181 Thing:
NO RESERVE - TOP BIDDER WINS !!!
Check out my feedback.... Honest descriptions. Great deal for this awesome Thing.
Unmolested! No rust!
Originally a Texas car according to the last owner. The body is straight, without any bondo (that I could find). It's been repainted the original pumpkin orange and has a couple of less than perfect areas (can't see them from 2 feet away though).
SUPER CLEAN. Relocation forces sale. Fun car to drive!
Flawless running and flawless chrome.
- The last owner told me the original motor was swapped for a 1600cc single port G code
- No Rust…. The pan is SOLID and has been coated with line-x (I never noticed any patches/soft spots)
- Brand new tires…. BF GOODRICH All Terrain T/A.
- Brand new Battery
- The Windshield and seal is Brand new / clear (Thing Shop).
- Brand new black crush Top and Frame from The Thing Shop. Perfectly clear rear window.
- New seat covers
- New Thing Shop Tube Bumpers with front brush guard
- New Thing Shop Nerf bars.
- New Thing Shop Sun Visors. (Driver and Passenger)
- New mirrors – Perfect glass and chrome (Thing Shop).
- New interior rear view mirror (Thing Shop)
- New front safety belts. (Thing Shop)
- New carpet kit – Complete (Thing Shop)
- New 100% Body molding and rubber seal kit. (Thing Shop.)
- 100% All new lights… Rear lights, Front directionals. Perfect plastic and chrome. (Including the license tag light)
- Completely rewired…. Everything works. All lights work perfectly.
(It does need a turn signal switch, it works. But, no auto-cancel.)
(Wipers only work on occasion. Probably needs a wiper switch. Possible wiper motor.)
- It's got new wheel cylinders, carb rebuilt, plugs/wires/cap/rotor/points, adjusted all the pedals, and some other small stuff.
-Gas gauge works.
(Speedometer needs a speedo-cable to the Left Front wheel. Not connected.)
(Just a clarification... I have no idea what the milage is on this vehicle. No information on how long the Odometer / Speedometer cable has been disconnected. This vehicle came with another spare Speedometer assembly. So, I'm not sure which one is the original.)
- Includes a couple of other OEM dash parts, some other miscellaneous parts (valve cover gaskets etc.), and some laminated binder manuals.
Solid driver. Starts / runs great. Driven weekly.
It's a solid example of a Type 181... It's probably straight enough to be a show car with little work, really. The gas heater assembly is not present...the original owner removed it.
Relocation forces me to sell this. My loss = Your gain.
-Clean NV title. VIN # is1833024986
More photos available.
Please ask me any questions you have before bidding. I will try to answer them as thoroughly, and quickly as possible. Happy bidding!