1971 Volkswagen Squareback Starts at $ 1.00 AS-IS
Price: US $787.97 Item location: Portland, Oregon, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Squareback
- Type: U/K
- Trim: Base
- Year: 1971
- Mileage: 100,000
- Color: Orange
- Engine size: 1.6L 1584CC 97Cu. In. H4 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: U/K
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1971 Volkswagen Squareback1971 Volkswagen Squareback. " Clementine"
OK, here's the deal: I bought this car for my wife from a friend of the family for $ 4,700.00 They have had to vehicle in their family since new.
I spent another $ 1000.00 plus getting it road worthy and then my wife decided that she wanted a bigger vehicle.
I was getting it ready to sell locally and had a full safety inspection done at Always V Dub, that's when I found out that I had spent way to much money on a car with mechanical conditions the seller ( ex-friend now) did not disclose.
Left such a bad taste in my mouth I want it gone so I am starting this auction at $1.00, as-is, where it sits. I will detail and list absolutely EVERYTHING I know and have observed about this car.
You make the decision to bid and if you win, give it the attention and care it deserves. I won't be answering a million picky questions from tire kickers and time wasters. You buy the car based on the information I will list and the pictures posted, that's it.
I have receipts included from work done and parts purchased in the past but they tell and incomplete story as much work was done by a German mechanic who did not keep records.
I was told that many of the issues that are shown and being diagnosed were fixed by this mechanic. I cannot verify this. I can only share what I was told at the most recent inspection.
I am not a mechanic, so reading straight from the receipts some upgrades may include:
T-3 Muffler conversion kit with right and left heater box.
Scat " Hard-Core" camshaft.
Pointless electronic ignition.
HD stock push rods.
Push rod 13/1600 and tubes.
35X30 3/4 plug.
New complete D/Port Head. 40X35 5 Bore.
25MM 010 Rod bearing set.
Main bearing dowel.
Plated push rod tubes.
Rebuilt 1600 r/arms.
dual port intake gasket.
rocker shaft clip.
Push rod tube 13/1600.
And many other items....
Starts right up, runs well, drives fair.
Recent work done in last few months:
1. Wrapped all fuel lines in high temperature sheathing to prevent vapor lock during the hot summer days.
2. Full tune up. Set timing, scope, adjust carbs.
3. Replace brake light switches.
4. Rewire light housing to fix reverse lights.
5. Replace horn contact at steering wheel.
5. Replace front brake pads, rotors and hoses.
6. Install new battery.
Runs and drives. Brakes redone, all tires in good shape. I have hauled 500 lbs of gear in the trunk and driven it 2 hours round trip with no issues other than an obviously loose front end. No promises though.
Main mechanical issues:
1. #2 and #4 plugs have inserts. A temp fix to bring compression up, possibly due to cracked heads. Runs well as it is now but no promises for continued future performance until addressed.
2. Play in steering and front suspension is loose. Likely needs a front end rebuild.
3. Odometer is not working. Mileage unknown.
4. Generator light is on though charging system is working correctly with new battery.
5. Aftermarket shifter broke and new aftermarket shifter was installed and adjusted. Shifts fine through all gears.
6. I cannot seem to get the heater to blow hot air from any vents.
I have not washed or cleaned the car. What you see is what you get. It actually looks better in person, so there you go.
Originally Clementine Orange, was repainted a mustard yellow color and then orange painted over that. You can see flaking and such as the cheap paint job has gotten old.
Rust bubbles in various places as shown in pictures. A dent in the rear hatch as shown. Interior is nice with some issues. Plastic cracking, rubber around doors and windows has shrunken or split. Cardboard liner behind vinyl in rear hatch has corroded due to moisture.
Aftermarket front shoulder belts were added and they are quit short.
Drivers seat frame is broken due to previous driver being 6'5".
Paint flaking as mentioned, dent in nose.
Driver's side paint looks shinier than the rest for some reason as if it were touched up on the door later than the rest of the car.
Original Oregon license plates.