1978 BMW 530I AT E12 FIRST FIVE
- Condition: Used
- Make: BMW
- Model: 5-Series
- Type: Sedan
- Trim: 4-DOOR
- Year: 1978
- Mileage: 121,154
- VIN: 5096141
- Color: Bordeauxrot
- Engine size: 3.0L
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Power Locks, Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tan
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1978 BMW 5-Series
Thank you for taking the time to look at my most prized possession currently. I have dreamed of 2 classics and this was one.
I purchased this 1978 530i from a gentleman who was not advertising it to sell but happened to have it in a photo of his own personal vehicle for sale. When I phoned him to ask if it were available he told me to come have a look.
His girlfriend was the original owner and she had since passed. The car sat for years in his storage yard untouched. I purchased at 109K original miles. The car had an acceleration issue, which was repaired after parts were ordered from Germany. Basically the accelerator springs and bushings were worn. Car ran and drove amazing once I got him down to SoCal until overheating occurred. My mechanic at the time (Werkstat West – he owns one as well) stated it could be the thermal reactors or radiator. Well I tackled the first and had original radiator re cored (brass) and installed. Ran fantastic with not a hiccup. Decided to charge the R12 and ice cold he blew! Heaven in that weather but my forum informed me to remove those reactors or I would blow my engine. And here is where we are: I was in the process of changing it over to the rebuild suggested from a donor 1979 528i when I had to relocate to Seattle, WA.
- · Accelerator bushings
- · Re cored / rebuilt radiator
- · Water Pump
- · Removal of thermal reactors to M535i exhaust
- · Tie Rods Center and Outer
- · Door lock actuators (all but passenger)
- · High Performance tune-up – spark plugs and wires with updated electronic ignition (have both)
Repairs needed (to be perfect):
- · Finish changeover to new fuel system
- · Rotors/brakes (will remove shimmy on braking)
- · Power steering gearbox gaskets
- · New AC hoses (will remove leak issue – R12 leaks after 6 months or so)
- · Cracked glove box latch (will stay closed with key lock)
- · One vent control open close will need repair
- · No original radio (have original grills but in my storage in California) also can give you an aftermarket Sony that works fine and gives you Bluetooth
- · Driver side storage box on door is missing
- Driver window will need new clip (window slanting)
- Will need new muffler
- PLEASE NOTE; THIS CAR SAT FOR YEARS AND IN MY OPINION WILL NEED A CARING RESTORATION TO BE SHOW ROOM. IT IS MY REGRET THAT I DON’T HAVE THE TIME TO DO SO BUT RUBBER WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED AND THOSE LITTLE ISSUES ATTENDED TO.
NOT TO BE PURCHASED AS A DAILY DRIVER BUT CAN BE…I WOULD DRIVE IT ACROSS COUNTRY BUT THIS IS MY LONE OPINION – I DON’T SUGGEST YOU DO THE SAME.
I can answer almost any questions. It will NOT smog in California due to complete change not occurring as of yet. He passed smog with flying colors as original and I have paperwork.
Please purchase him because you have been searching for a great, no rust original e12. I have 8 BMW’s and love them all. I only own them because they are truly the ultimate driving machine.
Any questions, feel free to ask. Even better if you are local to take a look prior to purchase I welcome it. I am a very amenable seller and as long as I can help – I will. I ask you not bid unless you intend to complete purchase. Look at the many detailed photos and you decide. I will send you tube link if you would like to hear him running.
Neither smokes nor issues with engine or transmission. No electrical issues and clock, lighter and lights in car even work now! Interior is beautiful. Exterior has some dings as you see in photos. Shocks are great and ride is wonderful. I drove back and forth from No Cal to So Cal twice. Not my M5 speed demon, but what a cruiser! Also I now have windshield wiper fluid motor working to clean those windows. All windows now roll up and down with switches and drivers side mirror works adjusting with button. Sunroof opens, as it should. Will offer the original owners manual and extra key.
I will hold him for up to a month if you need and you have paid. NON – REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT OF $500 made within 24 hours. I will drive him and work with transportation should you need this as well.
Good luck and thank you.