1970 Volkswagen Single Cab Pickup Truck
Item location: Los Angeles, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Other
- SubModel: Single Cab
- Type: Standard Cab Pickup
- Engine size:
Dual port 1600
- Number of cylinders:
- Power options:
- Drive type:
- Interior color:
- Drive side:
- Vehicle Title:
Want to buy? Contact seller!
1970 Volkswagen Other
1970 Volkswagen Single Cab (VW Pickup Truck)
LowReserve- Get a great daily driver thats a classic workhorse and a great base for a restoration
An solid and reliable single cab pickup truck to use for hauling goods, materials around town. Fold down side gates and tailgate make this a true convenient hauler. I bought it 8 years ago when I moved to LA to be my daily driver. I addressed all mechanical concerns (new brake drums and lines, electrical wiring harness, suspension and tires) and used it regularly beyond commuting for work to carry building materials and furniture/equipment around town with ease.
Itâ€™s not a restored beauty but could be with not too much work. It will provide you with a unique and head turning vehicle that is still as useful now as it was nearly 50 years ago when it arrived in California. Be prepared to meet new people daily as this is a conversation starter. It has a clean California title (in my name) and will come with a bunch of spare parts and items to aid in a restoration. I will miss this truck dearly but have not been able to continue to restore it since I welcomed my 3rd and 4th kids last year, despite my best efforts so it is time to find a new home for it.
Things of note:
- Although it is a lifetime California truck it does have some has some rust (Surface rust on roof and front end - Minimal rot in spots in front wheel well and on drivers side floor). Nothing that would be considered cancerous.
- Previous owner decided to bondo the front en, from portion of roof and drivers side treasure chest (cargo compartment) doora. All of this Bodo is cracked and breaking off. He also gave it a high school auto body shop paint job so the paint is starting to wear thin and chip in places.
- Front end is not original. I didnâ€™t realize this until I had the truck for a few years and someone backed into me. I popped the front panel back out but started looking into fixing it and was told that what I had on there now is from a later model Bus (higher up turn signals). A new 1970 specific front end is available now from Classic Fab for $750 shipped if you want to address it.
- Windshields (front and rear) were replaced 4 years ago with new seals. (There was no sill rust)
- Cargo holds are clean and dry. Latches are there but the locks were drilled out and can be opened and closed by using a flathead screwdriver inserted and turned in the lock cylinder
- Door handles use a single key, ignition uses a separate key.
- I reupholstered the seats, added rubber floor and stand mats, upgraded the seatbelts to modern 3 point retractable versions for safety.
- Added an electric pump to the windshield washer reservoir and upgraded the windows to power windows using motors from an 85 BMW for convenience.
- I also added a an amp and subwoofer (under the seat) and speakers in the door panels to go with the modern stereo the previous owner added. (Stereo was stolen recently but I have a replacement that I will include in the sale).
- The steering wheel has a crack (no structural damage) as does the dash in places.
- The horn intermittently went off while driving so I disconnected it.
- Also removed door buzzer as it was annoying but it is in the glove box.
- Odometer says 45k but I highly doubt that is accurate.
- A dual port replacement motor that has tons of power. I suspect the previous owner who raced bugs, put one of his upgraded engines in it as it will drive smoothly at 75 on the highway if you floor it (not that I recommend this)
- Installed dual kadron Carbs at Kaddie Shack and have a custom hardline fuel line kit ready to install.
- Starts up on first crank and runs smooth when warmed up.
- Brakes and clutch are smooth and responsive
- Tires are in great shape (very limited wear)
Spare parts and misc included:
- New Headliner and bows and sun visors. Didnâ€™t install incase you wanted to paint the car. Saves you a step of removing it.
- New hi lift Jack
- Custom Kaddie Shack Harline fuel line kit.
- New Radio
- Semi complete original wiring loom
- misc relays and switches
- replacement turn signal cluster (was sent 2 by mistake and held on to this one)
- Shifter lock
- New rubber seal sets for front doors and cargo/engine doors.
- Fire extinguisher
- Misc cables and belts and parts
Recent work (this week)
- Tune up and oil change
- Replaced all soft fuel lines
- New fuel filter
- New condenser and points
- New plugs
- New windshield wiper blades
- Brakes and clutch checked and given clean bill of health.
Comes with original manual and service records for all work I have had done.
Selling this asiswithnowarrantyimplied or offered.
Shipping is to be arranged for and paid for by buyer. 500$ deposit due within 24 hours of finish of auction with full payment and balance due within 3 days of the completion of auction.