Subaru 360 Sambar Pickup Hotdogger
- Make: Subaru
- Model: 360
- Type: Pickup
- Year: 1968
- Mileage: 10,020
- VIN: K153L3735
- Color: Blue
- Engine size: 360
- Number of cylinders: 2
- Safety options: Just kidding about the airbags, Side Airbags
- Options: Hot dog cart
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1968 Subaru 360
With reluctance, I am looking to sell my 3 Sambar projects. The restoration of these vehicles was to be part of my retirement plan, but a move overseas looks to be long-term and since itâ€™s to a RHD country, I hope to find a sympathetic soul to take on these lovely trucks.
If you are reading this, Iâ€™m going to assume you know the history, rarity, and strong club support for these trucks. If not, by all means do your google research (including the Subaru 360 club site) and google images â€œsambar hotdoggerâ€; and then stop back. These are kei class- tiny! Find a photo with a person. They each will fit on a garden trailer!
This sale includes three trucks and an original, unmolested hot dog cart (the hotdogger is kind of the holy grail of the 360â€™s). Also included is a deep cashe of original, NOS, reproduction and restored parts. Read on:
1) The blue truck. 10,020 miles shown. This truck was to be the hot dogger with restoration well under way. Includes full set of NOS wheel cylinders, sleeved master cylinder, opened/cleaned/coated fuel tank, stainless steel braided brake lines, relined brake shoes, skillfully reupholstered seat to match original color and style, many original parts have been restored/polished such as lenses, Subaru script, mirrors, wipers, seat belts, door handles and so forth, drums have been turned and powder coated, 5 wheels have been powder coated, powder coated brake backing plates, brand new tubes and Falken tires, reproduction parts such as door straps, vent window rubbers, Pleiades emblem, oil tank, rubber body gaskets, door fuzzies and more. Full set (said to be the last available for now) of repro decals. This truck is rust free. About the only parts to source: one hubcap and the reverse light lens (which I think maybe reproâ€™d now). Engine ran and truck drove onto trailer when I purchased. No rust. Includes title.
2) The green truck. 30,430 miles shown. This is a complete, eminently restorable truck. Other than a few parts stripped off (and included), this is a good starting point for a winter project. I set it aside when I found the blue truck, but it sits ready to go. Included a spare windshield to replace the cracked one currently in place. Engine started and ran years ago when purchased. No rust. Included title. Will sell separately if we do not meet the reserve on this auction.
3) Red truck. 3,682 miles shown. This truck had the hot dogger (â€œMini Catererâ€) option. It is a great parts vehicle or a restoration for someone with talent/experience/ and/or a parts vehicle. It is the least run of the three but had some bed rust which was cut out by a former owner. Other challenges: needs a couple wheels, has no side gate (deleted for hot dogger), and has undergone some disassembly. No title.
4) Hot dogger. The NY style, drop in hot dog cart was offered as an option, one of any number of attempts (Uncle) Malcolm Bricklin made to move his quirky products. It was constructed by a NY hot dog cart builder and is as rare an option as you are likely to find. This one needs a polish and a sympathetic restoration. Includes the drawer, various s.s. bins, sliding lucite door, an old coke umbrella (maybe not original) and some gas grills that appear to be original.
5) Other â€˜getsâ€™- large pile of Subaru club docs including the Big Book of Reprints (paper and cd), copies of original factory service manuals, all keys in my possession, piles of random receipts, stacks of 360 club newsletters, an original hotdogger ad sheet and one original ownerâ€™s manual.
Caveats: please donâ€™t respond if you are not a skilled car restoration person. This is not for you. All vehicles are at-grade- come prepared to load yourself. We will help as much as possible, but you will need dollys, winch, etc. The trucks are easy to push around, but wonâ€™t move under their own power. I will be happy to get the blue truck on tires, will need one or two extra tires to roll the red without a dolly (or one dolly for the front will do). If you have no option but to hire a shipper, we will help as best as possible (boxing up parts, etc) and reserve the right to charge up to $500 for time and manpower, all at your risk. Sold as-is/where is. Reserve reflects the increasing interest in micro cars and the rarity of the hot dogger. Please have a good feedback rating. Feel free to send me contact info; if reserve is not met, I am willing to sell the green truck separately as it definitely deserves its own restoration.