1985 Mercedes 300SD Turbodiesel Sedan
Price: - Item location: Brooklyn, New York, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Mercedes-Benz
- Model: S-Class
- SubModel: 300SD
- Type: Sedan
- Year: 1985
- Mileage: 121,000
- VIN: WDBCB20C7FA144210
- Color: Blue
- Engine size: 5-cylinder Turbodiesel
- Number of cylinders: 5
- Fuel: Diesel
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Gray
- Safety options: Anti-Lock Brakes
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1985 Mercedes-Benz S-Class 300SDFor sale is a 1985 Mercedes 300SD Turbo-diesel sedan in good condition. It's mechanically excellent, starts immediately every time, makes great power and is a fantastic cruiser. (The car could hum happily at 75 MPH cross-country.) Cosmetically, it presents gorgeously at 10 feet, but has a couple dings and scrapes befitting a 31 year-old car.
I bought the car 18 months ago with 115,000 miles and NO rust, have put 5,000 more on since. Car is driven only in the summers in Vermont, with occasional trips to Brooklyn, where it is now.
The 1985 300SD is the best year of the model: it has the venerable OM617 turbo-diesel inline-five cylinder engine, plus, for 1985, the 6.5-inch wide "Bundt" alloys from the V-8 S-Class, as well as the differential from the 380SE, making it a more relaxed cruiser on the highway. (Lower revs at higher speeds.) The four-speed transmission was also improved for 1985, the last year before the W126 was refreshed.
Reserve price is reasonable—make a bid.
- Low Mileage for the year: 121,000- NO RUST: Car spent 28.5 years of its life in Texas.- Original, lustrous paint: there are a couple of dings and one small dent, however.- Beautiful interior: leather is supple, no tears or wear.- Recent work (with receipts): Spent $1,700 on bushings, brakes, air-filter housing, steering booster, fuel filter, oil change, vacuum lines, fuel lines- New Tires: 5 (including spare) Michelin Defender tires with just 2,500 miles on them- All lights work- Sunroof works flawlessly (and is the quietest operating roof you've [n]ever heard)- Transmission shifts smoothly- New wiper blades- No exhaust leak- No accidents
- A/C does not work - worked somewhat last fall, lost R12 over the winter. All components, clutch, compressor, drier, etc. work when 12 volts are applied. Diagnosis: when too little refrigerant is in the system, all components shut off. Should be good again with a recharge, though no promises with A/C systems of this vintage.- Radio does not work (original Becker in dash) - Lights and screens on the unit work, it just won't emit sound. Becker will refurbish it completely for $175.- Cruise Control does not work- Small scrape on left rear quarter panel- Crack in righthand tail light- Driver's side door lock is sticky—I usually lock the car from the passenger side or trunk
Work done at Kingdom Imports in Lyndonville, VT; they can attest to the condition and great driving of the car.
I love the big Benz and am sad to let it go, but I'm moving to something that I can drive through the winter.
Car sold as-is, with no warranty. Happy to take questions.