1970 Mercedes Benz 280SL Class Pagoda
- Condition: Used
- Make: Mercedes-Benz
- Model: SL-Class
- SubModel: Pagoda
- Type: Convertible/Hardtop
- Trim: MB Tex
- Year: 1970
- Mileage: 85,400
- VIN: 11304410013452
- Color: Metallic Red
- Engine size: 6 Cylinder In-Line
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Power options: Air Conditioning
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual 4 Speed
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: BLACK
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1970 Mercedes-Benz SL-Class Pagoda
1970 Mercedes Benz 280SL Roadster
VIN: 113044 10 013452
More Photographs: https://www.flickr.com/gp/140626398@N03/0L1G3g
Beautifully Presented and Restored 280SL RoadsterNumbers and Colors Matching as per Data Card
High Quality Fit and Finish – Restored and Maintained by Pagoda Specialist
4 Speed Manual Transmission
85,400 Original Miles
This is a unique opportunity to acquire a beautiful 1970 280SL with a well-documented history and numbers and colors matching the data card. This car is has been restored and maintained by a Pagoda specialist who understands the significance and the challenges of maintaining originality of a classic vehicle and who has the knowledge and expertise to do it well. Serious buyers can call Gus at (713) 977-9612 or email with any questions.
Vehicle History:In 1991, this car was purchased by its third owner, a Pagoda specialist, who knew from the well documented service history in the original Mercedes-Benz service book that this would be an ideal car for a restoration project. This car was sold new in July 1970 by University Motors in Houston, Texas and has remained in Houston its entire life.
Exterior Restoration:This automobile is finished in its factory original color of 571G Metallic Red over black #131 MB Tex and black soft top as shown on the data card. The car was fully stripped and repainted, resulting in a beautiful finish displaying a deep shine and luster. During that process we discovered that the front panel (nose) had been previously repaired due to what was apparently a small accident at some point in its history. We replaced and fitted a new OE front panel, including the correct headlight body notches, as a part of our restoration. The body panels and floors are original and in pristine, rust-free condition. The trunk compartment and center panel has been repaired and is pristine. Chrome has been refinished or replaced as needed. The hardtop was completely disassembled, stripped, restored and repainted to original color. The car has all new hardtop seals, a new headliner and we rechromed all pieces and installed correct ski rack rails.
Interior Restoration:The interior was re-trimmed and the seats were restored including: all new correct seat pads, new door cards and side panels. We installed new carpet using factory correct materials. The original wood trim was restored by Madera Concepts to original condition and the convertible top canvas was replaced in 2012. The original Frigiking under-dash air conditioning unit was removed and restored and we installed and converted the system to R134A including a concealed modern blower to significantly increase airflow into the cabin. The compressor is a new, modern rotary type and the unit blows cold. The dashboard covering is original and it is in perfect condition. The gauges, instruments, dashboard lights and Becker radio all work as intended.
This car is in outstanding mechanical condition. We removed the numbers-matching engine during the repaint and it was completely overhauled and detailed. It starts immediately, with no smoke on startup or during acceleration. It pulls strong and has excellent power. The original 4 speed manual transmission was fully overhauled including all new synchronizers and it shifts precisely with no gear grinding or clutch slippage. The suspension was overhauled and it is tight, precise and free of any noise. The steering and brakes were restored; they are excellent and free of any play or fading. All rubber seals and gaskets have been replaced. All of the electrical components in the car function like new.
More:The original Mercedes-Benz owner’s manual, service book, warranty book, dealer book, Becker manual, and parts catalog are all present and included with the sale of this car. Other equipment includes the original glove box pouch, ignition key, jack, spare tire and factory tool kit complete with Mercedes-Benz tools.
Summary of Upgrades and Restoration Work:
- Front end completely overhauled and restored
- Original rear axle overhauled and restored
- Suspension completely overhauled and restored
- All brakes replaced and restored, including calipers, lines and hoses
- Engine overhauled and detailed
- Drive shaft restored and balanced
- Power steering overhauled including power steering gear box, power steering pump and new power steering hoses
- Gas tank, fuel pump and fuel lines restored
- Body work, fit and paint to OE specification
- Prep, stone guard and correct paint under floor and wheel wells
- Factory A/C updated to rotary type; replacement A/C blower for improved air flow
- New stainless steel exhaust system welded on
- New windshield and seal to OE specification
- Complete hardtop restoration
- Transmission overhauled including new synchronizers
- Chrome has been re-chromed or replaced
- All new seals for doors, convertible hatch, trunk, convertible top and hardtop seals to OE specification
- Ignition system converted to Petronix
- Wood trim restored to original specification
- Interior restored, new seat covers and cushions, door cards, side panels and carpet
- Clutch hydraulic system has been replaced