1991 FORD THUNDERBIRD SUPER COUPE PROJECT 5-SPEED LOADED WITH OPTIONS
Price: - Item location: Converse, Texas, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Ford
- Model: Thunderbird
- SubModel: Super Coupe
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: SC
- Year: 1991
- Mileage: 123,553
- VIN: 1FAPP64R0MH149074
- Color: Red
- Engine size: 3.8l Spercharged V6
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Windows, Power Seats
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Safety options: Anti-Lock Brakes
- Options: Cassette Player, CD Player, Leather Seats
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1991 Ford Thunderbird SC1991 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe. This is a project car that is not currently in drivable condition. Loaded with factory options. Clean blue Texas title in my name ready to transfer.
Needs a lot of work, but would be an excellent example of the SC with all the options it has. Stock as far as I can tell except someone along the line lowered it by heating or cutting the springs. Engine is also stock as far as I can tell except K&N air filter. OEM shifter knob is in the center console, but the leather is torn.
- Exterior: Red exterior with black leather interior. Most of the clear coat has or is peeling off. Color coat is not in good condition either. Baking in South Texas sun has not been easy on it. Small area on left front fender and hood appear to have paint bubbling from brake fluid damage. Small dent on top of left front fender. Front and rear bumper wraps were damaged when I bought it and I damaged them further putting it on a car dolly that wasn't set up for a car sitting this low. Lower beam of radiator support is also bent from loading it on the dolly. Windshield is cracked. Front turn signal lenses are cracked. Black coating on aluminum trim around windows is peeling.
- Engine: Engine has an exhaust leak into the coolant system so it overheats. Chemical tests I did confirm there are exhaust fumes in the antifreeze. I have receipts from a previous owner for head/valve job, head gaskets and head studs. I do not have the work order from whoever removed and installed the heads so I don't know who did it and if they knew how. Oil dipstick did not get bolted back down by whoever did the head work. Exhaust is leaking on the left side near the rear tire.
- Transmission/driveline: From the little I did drive it before putting it on the dolly, the transmission did shift into all gears. First to second was not smooth though if I tried a quick shift. Might need synchros or just a good service. I never even got as far as checking fluid levels. Clutch is nearly gone. I think I burned it up bashing it up onto the dolly. Car will move but clutch slips under heavy acceleration.
- Suspension: Previous owner had a local dealer perform a 100 point inspection while they were woking on the ABS. Tech reported the upper ball joints, lower ball joints, and sway bar bushings on the front and rear needed replacement. As stated above, someone lowered this car the cheap way so ride quality is not the best. Electronic controlled struts are still installed and system still gives green indicator light with manual switch activation or revving the engine. Original SC alloy wheels still installed. Tires hold air but are in very poor shape.
- Brakes: I have work order showing previous owner paid to have a local dealer to install a used but working ABS accumulator/pump. System was working when I bought it, but the pump motor is acting up now. You may be able to baby it back in shape, but sitting for almost three years has not helped it. Dealer inspection referenced above also lists brake pads need replacement. I planned on installing a hydro-boost setup and didn't worry about the ABS. An SC purist will be happy to know the complete system is still there.
- Interior: Black leather interior that is in fair shape for its age. Drivers seat has normal wear & tear from getting in and out. Both front seats are 6-way power seats with inflatable bolsters and inflatable lumbar support. Pumps for bolsters and lumbar run and the bladders do inflate. I did not watch for leak down. Door handle on drivers door is broken away from the door panel. Small triangular trim at forward corner of passenger window is in the glove box. Spare tire well has some rust, but appears to be surface rust from the inside. Spare tire, lug wrench and jack included but rusted.
- A/C & Heat: Automatic temp control system is installed. Someone has converted to R134a as indicated by QD connection adapters on the service ports, but the compressor did not engage with the engine running. Blower fan runs, but without functioning A/C I can't verify every function is working.
- Audio: JBL Premium Sound System with AM/FM/Cassette/Single disc CD and amplified subwoofer. I was able to test radio functions except cassette. Sound quality is good for older factory radio. I couldn't find a cassette to test the player so I can't guarantee it works. CD player powers up and accepts a disc but would not play it. I could hear it start to spin up and then it would eject. Radio antenna raises and lowers as it should from the dash switch.
- Dash: Standard SC dash with additional maintenance/info light center above the radio.
- Other: Keyless entry system with keypad on drivers door installed. I didn't dig around for the code so I'm not sure if it works. 2 sets of keys/alarm remotes included. Alarm remotes function but are in poor shape. Alarm horn is broken off so I stowed the wires behind the drivers foot kick panel. Original owners manual included. Ford Service Manual and Ford Wiring Diagram Manual included. Trunk has some parts left over from another SC I parted out. Spare supercharger assembly and intercooler look to have been damaged by dirt ingestion so they may be worth nothing. High flow MAF sensor and short throw shifter are included in these spare parts.
- Please feel free to ask questions. I will answer as best I can. I can also provide additional pictures.
- This vehicle is being sold as-is with no warranty implied or given. I have described it as best I can but never fully investigated all work that would need to be done. I bought it as a project to rebuild and it should be considered as such.