1989 Mustang GT convertible, 5.0 V8, 127,000 miles
Price: US $2,500.00 Item location: Garner, North Carolina, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Ford
- Model: Mustang
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: GT
- Year: 1989
- Mileage: 127,419
- VIN: 1fabp45e6kf260974
- Color: White
- Engine size: 5.0 V8
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Grey
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1989 Ford MustangI am selling a 1989 Mustang GT Convertible, it is white with grey interior and a black top. The car runs and drives great.
I bought the car as a non-running project and while I have made good progress on the car, I just don't want to put anymore time or money into it. When I bought the car, there were several things keeping the engine from running properly; the distributor wasn't installed correctly, one of the cylinder heads had some bent valves, it had several vacuum leaks, etc... I returned the engine to as close to stock as I could by replacing the cylinder heads with stock heads, installing a stock cam, and a stock intake manifold.
After the larger mechanical repairs I repaired / replaced all the vacuum lines on the car, replaced several electrical connections, corrected some hack job wiring, etc... Once all that was done, the engine in the car runs great.
The car also made it into a magazine awhile back, see pictures for a shot of the small article.
The only modifications to the car are:
- 3.73 rear gears - the rear end is from a 4 cylinder 93 Mustang, 3.73 was the stock ratio for the donor car
- The speedometer driver gear has been changed to correct the speedometer for the rear gear change
- The car has a mass air flow sensor and the appropriate computer modification to have the MAF sensor function properly.
- Off road H-pipe
- Flowmaster mufflers
- Nearly new wheels and tires, they have less than 500 miles on them
- The power top goes up and down as it should, but the canvas / rear window need to be replaced.
- The seats could use new covers (see photos).
- The rear main seal leaks on the engine. This is very common on 5.0 engines.
- There is a slight tick from the engine when it's cold. I had a mechanic tell me a few days ago that he thought it was an exhaust leak. When I put the stock heads back on the car, I used new exhaust manifold gaskets, so it sounds odd to me that one would be leaking, but I suppose that could be the source of the noise. I think it's a lifter, rocker, etc... but haven't really dug into it to find out.
- The ground effects have been replaced with E-bay knock offs and don't fit as well as stock pieces would.
- One of the front fender extensions is cracked.
- There are no fog lights in the car.
- The previous owner removed the AC from the car. The compressor, lines, and condenser are missing. The evaporator core is still in the car.
- The previous owner also damaged the heater core tubes, so for now the cooling lines are looped together at the back of the intake. This allows for proper function of the cooling system, but makes it so there is no heater in the car.
- The entire car was plasti dipped black at some point in it's life. Nearly all the dip has been removed, but there is still some stubborn spots in the door jambs, the cracks between the panels, etc...
- The paint is likely the original from 1989 so it's best days are behind it. The car photographs well, but it's a 20 footer. It could stand a paint job if you wanted it to be really nice.
Car is located just outside Raleigh, NC. Will deliver within a reasonable distance for a fee. Payment is due within 3 days. Non-refundable deposit of $500 due within 24 hours of auction end. Serious bidders only, please don't hesitate to ask any questions.
As-is, no warranty.