1986 Mustang SVO
- Condition: Used
- Make: Ford
- Model: Mustang
- Year: 1986
- Mileage: 30,217
- VIN: 1FABP28T4GF192602
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1986 Ford Mustang
Selling my 86 SVO with just over 30,000 original miles. I've owned this car for 13 years and I'm the 3rd owner. Rare Silver Metallic (under 7% of 1986 production) with factory sunroof and cloth interior. Car is virtually all stock/original with no performance mods. I added stainless steel cooling lines and changed the intercooler mounting as Ford used on the T-Bird Turbo Coupe (original SVO brackets are included). Complete tune-up (including timing belt) with Motorcraft parts, ewer Motorcraft battery, ew fuel pump, ew mufflers and tail pipes, ew brakes all around. Original Koni's. Interior is excellent with original steering wheel, urst shifter and Hurst shifter boot all present and in excellent condition. Original stereo. Body is in excellent condition with no dents or rust (car was undercoated when new). The original upper spoiler was cracked and sagging so I replaced it with a fiberglass reproduction. I believe it is an excellent substitution as it weighs less and seems stronger so it's not likely to sag. When I replaced it I painted both the upper and lower spoilers in the correct SVO grey. I have all the original paperwork as well as the Koni adjustment tool and the Marchal fog light covers. Following are the shortcomings of this car:
1) Paint: typical mid 80's Ford paint which is original but chipping on the tops of both front fenders as well the front of the hood duct. Additional minor chipping on the hatch and scratches on the sail panels. Trim paint on the windows is also chipping but this can be easily painted without removing them from the car.
2) A/C - not charged. I never planned to use it so I left it untouched. Compressor is not seized and the entire system has the original R-12 connections.
3) Headliner - sagging at the back. I don't think the original material is available so I would remove the existing headliner, lean the mounting board and re-apply with good adhesive.
4) Passenger door lock - doesn't work with the power lock feature from either switch. The motor is working (can easily be heard) so I suspect that maybe one of the internal rods disconnected itself (?).
5) Parking brake - I've had some problem in getting the parking brake to grab. I've disassembled both rear calipers and can confirm the mechanism is operating as it should. I'm pretty sure I correctly adjusted the gap when I replaced the brakes but this could be the problem (not a big deal to check). May also be stretched cables. I can get the parking brake to hold when the car is on jack stands - just doesn't seem to hold when the weight of the car is on them.
6) Rear hatch struts - I replaced both rear hatch struts but the left side occasionally pops off the retainer. Might just need a new clip.
7) Stereo - works but there's static when the volume knob is rotated. Typically this indicates dust inside the unit. Never checked the cassette operation (don't have any cassettes).
8) Tires - currently has an off brand V rated set that are 20 mm oversized (245's instead of 225's). Given their age it would be best to replace them (just for safety).
9) Lenses - front lenses have some clouding but I think they would pass inspection. Rear lenses have a couple of very minor (unnoticeable) cracks.
Other than the above issues the car is an excellent original. Wheels need cleaning but are in good shape otherwise. Car is located in northwestern NJ.
Looking for $10,500.
Feel free to contact me for additional photos or information at Nine08-453-419one.