1982 FIAT SPIDER 2000 - INCREDIBLE CALIFORNIA RESTORED "SURVIVOR" - BEST IN USA?
Price: US $8,400.00 Item location: Pleasanton, California, United States
- Make: Fiat
- Model: Other
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: 2 DOOR
- Year: 1982
- Mileage: 93,813
- VIN: ZFAAS00B5B8187411
- Color: Dark Blue
- Engine size: 1800 CC
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Dark Blue Leather
- Options: CD Player, Convertible, Leather Seats
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1982 Fiat Other
1982 Fiat Blue Spider 2000
Desirable Late Model 1982 Fiat Spider 2000
Delivered New In Northern California with Documentation Since Day One!
Exceptional Restored "Survivor” with Considerable Subtle
Improvements & Upgraded!
Very Low Mileage with Cost No Object Maintenance
THIS 1982 FIAT SPIDER 2000 CONVERTIBLE
Frankly, we have a history with Fiat Spiders that goes back more years than we care to admit. Our owner purchased an early Fiat Spider as his first car after college graduation. The car, only a few years old at the time, was already showing significant rocker panel rust and rust behind the lower quarter panels as a result of the harsh Chicago climate.
Unlike Fiats that "grew-up” in parts of the country that used salt on the road and had severe winters, this particular Fiat is a true California survivor that was delivered to its original long-time owner fewer than 50 miles from our location. The car was owned by Ms. Eisenberg from late 1981 until it was sold to the second owner approximately 30 years later. The Fiat is completely documented including its original delivery documents, repair/maintenance receipts dating back to 1981 and an extensive (and impressive) list of upgrades and maintenance over the years. We are also impressed that the car has remained 100% stock with the exception of some lovely upgraded aluminum wheels that offer improved handling and an attractive appearance.
Specifically, Ms. Eisenberg took delivery of the Fiat from European Auto Imports (Santa Clara, CA). The Fiat Spider has had three previous owners in California as documented on the recent Car Fax report. During the previous 5 years the Spider has only accumulated fewer than 5,000~ miles and has been used as an occasional, fair weather, weekend car. The Car Fax report also documents the car as being totally free from accident damage, salvage, theft, odometer rollback structural damage or other negative history. In fact, as a result of its "clean history”, Car Fax gives this particular Fiat a rating of "Worth more than average based on report results.” Our inspection and that of an independent indicates the Fiat has all of its original, undamaged body panels.
Additionally, within the previous 50 miles, the car has passed California's strict new dynamometer smog test with no problem with test results that were considerably better than the maximum allowable measurement.
In addition to the original equipment listed above, this particular Fiat has had the benefit of numerous cosmetic upgrades yet it remains in 100% stock mechanical condition.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 1982 FIAT SPIDER 2000
- Three long term, fully documented owners in California
- Clean transferable California title
- Desirable factory original color scheme with subtle, rich interior appointments / upgrades
- Delivered new less than 50 miles from our location and remained in Northern California its entire life
- Desirable 5-Speed transmission
- Original California "Blue License Plates” (The same as were issued in 1981 and further documenting the Fiat as an original California Spider)
- No negative Carfax reports of salvage, theft, odometer tampering or rollback
- Includes original owner's manual & other repair / parts manuals
- Very straight rust free body
Replacement and upgrades of cosmetic items as follows:
- Very high quality complete re-paint if original color (complete including door jams, underside of hood/trunk)
- Complete high quality leather interior including seats, dash, console and door panels (Finished in high quality custom leather with stitching on beautifully crafted interior including center console that is usually inexpensive plastic prone to cracking) - VERY well done and unusual on a Fiat Spider
- Custom made matching leather convertible top "Tonneau cover” with stitching to match seats and door panels
- Custom AM/FM CD system (quality JVC) with upgraded speakers
- Beautiful "wood” dash board /aftermarket wooden shift knob
- Factory stock 3-spoke leather steering wheel
- Beautiful upgraded 5-spoke 15” alloy wheels with new tires
- Very well maintained & serviced professionally
- Documentation dating back to purchase date in 1983 including all maintenance, repairs and original delivery documents
EXTRAS INCLUDED WITH THE FIAT
- Car Cover
- Maintenance history dating back to the car's delivery in 1983 to nearby Fiat/Alfa dealership
- Original Bill of Sale & Extended Warranty
- Original owner's manual / warranty booklet & maintenance documentation dating back to 1983
BODY / TRIM / TOP SUMMARY
The body is finished in an absolutely striking shade of Fiat dark navy blue with a coordinating medium blue leather interior (added at considerable expense) and a striking dark blue, matching cloth convertible top. The combination of colors and the quality of the interior, top, dash, door panels and Tonneau cover result in elegance rarely seen in a Fiat Spider. The upgrades to the entire interior are beautifully done.
The paint is absolutely beautiful, very high gloss and free from any signs of fading, peeling or other signs indicating poor preparation. When the car was repainted it received a "complete” repaint to a high standard. Consistent with a car that has receive a quality, professional repaint; the car's exterior has the appearance of a much later model Fiat. The Fiat's body is extremely straight and free from the significant scratches and door dings generally seen on a car of this vintage. Any minor imperfections from the limited use that this car has received require a close inspection be noticed. The paint is far superior to the large majority of cars that we see of this vintage and the Fiat attracts considerable attention and comments relative to its overall cosmetic conditions.
There is no accident damage on the car and, in fact, it is free from any noticeable dents, scratches or flaws. The Car Fax report indicates the car is free from previous accident damage, flood, theft, odometer rollback and other "suspicious” history. The extensive file does not contain any indication of body repairs.
The Fiat has a color coordinated dark blue convertible top that has the appearance of being like new with a clear window and very high quality Hartz style fabric convertible top. When the Fiat Spider was new it would have had a "vinyl” convertible top and most top replacements utilize the same inexpensive material. However, the additional investment to add a canvas/cloth top adds considerably to the appearance of the Fiat and separates this car from most other Fiat Spiders. Also worth noting is that this convertible top can be raised and lowered with one hand, in just seconds, unlike some of the early British cars that require assembly of the tops.
Also included with the Fiat is a rear convertible top "boot” cover that covers the convertible top when it is in the down position. This boot was custom made when the interior was hand crafted by a custom upholstery shop and matches the beautiful interior, dash and door panels. We find that more often than not, the covers are missing, but not so with this car.
In addition to the mechanical and cosmetic strength of this particular Fiat, perhaps as significant are the independent inspection results. The Spider is totally free from rust through and damage to the frame and undercarriage, showing no signs of rust in the typical rust prone areas of the Fiat, as a result of its time in California. An inspection of the rocker panels, rear lower fenders, under hood area, spare tire well, and undercarriage reveals a dry, clean and rust free car. This is extremely important on the older Fiats as many of the cars in rust prone areas of the country suffer from considerable rust in both the chassis and bodies.
The doors, hood, and trunk line up very well, with even gaps, and close easily and securely. The underside of the hood and trunk are very clean and free from oil, dirt and great having received "freshening” during the repaint of the car.
The door locks operate properly as does the lock on the glove box door. The trunk lock has a working lock as does the glove compartment door.
The exterior trim on the Fiat is in very good condition and the trim is bright and free from any signs of rust or pitting. All the plastic trim and other exterior moldings are free from damage and in excellent condition. The side windows are free from cracks and damage, and operate perfectly. The windows roll up and down and seal well. The front windshield is free from any crack, stars, or damage and the chrome surrounding it is also very good.
This is simply one of the nicest interiors we have seen on a Fiat Spider. While the interior was upgraded using leather and adding a number of subtle non-stock touches, the beauty is that the Fiat remains stock in appearance to all but the most observant Fiat aficionado. There are no unattractive additions like gauges or unattractive additional items. The removable faceplate, quality JVC AM/FM CD MP3 player replaces the inferior stock cassette player. Front speakers are discreetly mounted in the front kick panels and the radio is able to be heard at highway speeds.
The interior has benefited from considerable but very attractive improvements. The seats, dash, door panels and even the center console were upgraded using beautiful blue leather (black on the center console and dash) that reminds us of the material that is used on some very expensive exotic cars. It is important to note that the stock seats and dash were used but the interior was disassembled for the custom upholstery to retain the initial impression of originality but improve the interior significantly.
The factory door panels received the benefit of the same stitched look with the stock door and window hardware being retained. The door panels are in excellent condition and do not show signs of shrinkage or warping that we have seen in previous Fiat Spiders. The carpet is stock and the combination of the slightly lighter blue and black creates a fantastic contrast to the darker blue seating surfaces. The final touch is a set of custom floor mats in a darker blue.
The rear seats also received the benefit of the custom interior to match the front seats, door panels, and other interior components. New 3-point shoulder harnesses/belts were installed in the front to further freshen up the cockpit area.
The shift knob has been upgraded to match the dash and the stock steering wheel (3-spoke leather) remains in place and in excellent condition.
The dash is finished in rich material with stitching on the leading edges. There are no cracks on the dash or upper parts of the door panels as is often the case with the classic Fiat Spiders. Also, the lower dash pad (knee pad) is free from damage and cracks.
The lights, gauges, and entire electrical system are 100% functional.
The trunk contains the factory spare tire/wheel. The jack and tools are included with the car, as is the original owner's (operation) manual. The trunk and trunk well are totally free from any rust, signs of leakage, or damage. It is extremely tidy.
The Fiat runs and drives extremely well. As a fuel injected car, the car starts immediately when warm or cold. The care that this car has received becomes apparent with one glance under the hood.
The engine is very strong and does not smoke, leak, or exhibit any problems. Within approximately 28,000 miles the Fiat received a valve job along with considerable other work on the cooling system and other major components including the all-important timing belt. The Fiat idles smoothly at just below 1000 rpm, and does not hesitate, have any unusual noises or issues. It runs cool and has excellent power.
The transmission is excellent and all of the syncromesh gears function perfectly. There is no noise in the driveline and the clutch engages properly, and without slippage, chattering or fuss.
The front end of the Fiat has been totally rebuilt within the past 33,000 miles, so the car steers straight and has a tight, solid feel. The brakes have also been re-done and are well within acceptable limits. The emergency brake is functional and correctly adjusted.
The undercarriage shows very well and an underside inspection makes it apparent that the car has spent its entire life in California. The car is simply freed from any damage and rust: quite amazing for any 30 year old car, much less a Fiat Spider!
The engine and engine bay are clean, unmodified and free from excessive oil, dirt and grease. We have owned/driven a large number of Fiat cars over the years, and can say with confidence, that this is an excellent running/driving car that will provide years of future enjoyment.
We have mechanical history on this particular car dating back to its original delivery date. The car's owner was diligent in keeping receipts so it is clear that the car received excellent maintenance throughout the course of its life.
The following represents a summary of some of the work that has been performed on this car:
Within 5,000 miles, the following work has been performed (please note, this is a summary as the work is too extensive to list each and every item. Please call us if we can answer any specific items:
- New Yokohama tires (less than 2,000 miles ago)
- Complete Vehicle inspection
- Replacement of water pump and anti freeze
- Rear differential service
- Transmission drain, refill and pan re-sealed
- NEW 3 point seat belts ($500.00)
- New electric fan
- New shift boot, heater control knob and chrome heater control panel knob
- Remove front control arms and reinforce (over $1,000.00)
- Flush brake fluid, check brake levels and adjust hand brake
- Complete oil service (within 200 miles)
- Fresh head gasket, timing belt and new anti-freeze (1,000 miles ago)
- Complete detail with Quartz UK surface protection applied
- New sending unit for temperature gauge
- Comprehensive vehicle inspection to address any and all issues
- Re-core radiator & thermostat, check an and overall operation
- New cylinder head temperature sensors
- Replace rear brake proportioning valve
- Major tune-up including:
- Oil & filter
- Spark plugs
- New plug wires
- New intake boot
- New distributor etic pick-up
- Valve adjustment (complete valve job ~28,000 miles ago)
- New valve cover gasket
- New air filter
- New fuel filter
- Replace timing belt, front engine seals and water pump
- New timing belt
- New alternator belt
- New water pump
- New cam seals
- New crankshaft seals
- New upper radiator hose
- New lower radiator hose
- New bypass hose
- New valve shims
- Fuel injection and engine clean
- Clean carbon from engine
- New fuel and air induction service kit
- Complete front suspension rebuilt
- New upper & lower control arms
- New center link
- New tie rod end
- New sway bar bushings
- New front shocks
- New front seat belts per factory specification (harnesses)
- Repair lock driver's side
- Smog inspection - pass
Documented work performed within previous 35,000 miles
- New font brakes, rotor & hoses (23, 000 miles ago)
- Complete valve job (28,000 miles ago)
- New oxygen sensor (28,000 miles ago)
- Multiple oil service and regular inspections by Bay Area specialists
- Replace front brakes and master cylinder
- Replace clutch
- New cooling fan
- Steering box adjustment
- Replaced air flow meter
- Complete tune-up / service (35,000 miles ago)
- Multiple smog certificates as required
While the additional receipts provide substantial documentation of the way this car was cared for, we have only provided the maintenance that has taken place with the previous 35, 000 miles. It is important to note that, during this time, all of the issues that typically arise with the Fiat Spider have been addressed. The receipts show frequent service and attention from an owner who clearly wanted the car to be 100% reliable.
ABOUT THE FIAT SPIDER
In April 1966 FIAT started production of the Fiat 124 with a push-rod 1187cc engine. Working at Fiat was the legendary engine specialist Aurelio Lampredi, who, while at Ferrari, had brought about the down-fall of the mighty Fiat Romeo 158/9s in 1952 with his un-supercharged 4.5 liter Ferraris. When Vittorio Jano joined Ferrari with the disbanded Lancia team in 1955, Lampredi moved to Fiat. After designing the 1300, 1500 and 2300 engines, he drew up the classical twin cam engine designs for the Ferrari Dino V6, and 124 Spider.
Prototypes of the 124 Spider were tested in April 1966 and the first car was shown at the Turin Show in November 1966. Initial cars were powered with 1438cc engines, later enlarged to 1608cc, 1756cc, and finally 1995cc in final form.
The Spider had a close affiliation with Pininfarina, as that styling house was responsible for design and also the building, painting and trimming of the actual bodies on the Fiat 124 cars. Fiat decided to target the USA as the main market, and had very good success with the Fiat as a comfortable, fun to drive, open air, sports car.
The 1980s brought considerable positive changes to the Fiat Spider and the cars offered a wonderful combination of performance, handling and comfort in an attractive, affordable package. The last of the Fiat Spiders made their way to U.S. shores in 1984 and the cars were largely the same during 1982-1984. These later model cars are in high demand, especially examples that have not been exposed to harsh winters that can have negative effects on the rust prone bodies of the Fiat 2000s.
The Fiats were very nicely equipped sports cars and included the following standard equipment on the 1982 models:
- 2.0 Litre (1995 cc) Twin Overhead Cam Engine
- 5-Speed, Fully Synchronized Transmission
- Fully Independent Suspension
- Front Anti Sway Bar
- Power Assisted 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
- Steel Belted Radial Tires
- "One Hand” Convertible Top Operation
- Front Bucket Seats
- Adjustable Head Rests
- Electronic Tachometer
- Water Temperature, Oil Pressure & Voltmeter Gauges
- Padded 3-Spoke Sport Steering Wheel
- 2 Speed Electronic Washer/Wipers
- Dual Power Side View Mirrors
- Vent Windows
- Day/Night Rear View Mirror
- Tinted Glass
Please call us if we can answer any questions regarding the Fiat, Classic Cars Ltd., shipping, etc.
Classic Cars Ltd.
Terms & Conditions
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd.
Sellers: Get your own map of past buyers. Fast. Simple.