1966 Chevrolet Impala convertible - very rare options
- Condition: Used
- Make: Chevrolet
- Model: Impala
- Type: Convertible
- Year: 1966
- VIN: 164676S124541
- Color: Aztec Bronze
- Engine size: 195 HP Turbo-Fire 283 V8 engine
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Two Tone Fawn
- Options: Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1966 Chevrolet Impala
1966 Chevrolet Impala Convertible
For sale is this beautiful and unique 1966 Chevrolet Impala convertible. The story of this car starts with the son of the first owner:
“My father ordered this car under the GM Employee Purchase Program in the fall of 1965. He took delivery on November 5, 1965 at Hunter Chevrolet, in Anderson, Indiana. The Impala, clad in Aztec Bronze with a 2 tone fawn interior and beige convertible top had the following options:
· 195 HP Turbo-Fire 283 V8 engine
· Powerglide automatic 2 speed transmission
· Power convertible top with glass rear window
· AM pushbutton radio with rear seat speaker and rear antenna
· 4 season air conditioning
· Comfortilt steering wheel
· Power steering
· Power brakes
· Custom deluxe color matched front & rear seat belts with push button buckles and front retractors
· Litter container in Fawn color
In addition, as my father was a sales engineer at Guide Lamp Division of General Motors Corp in Anderson, Indiana, he ordered the car without any ‘Guide’ accessories. He then took the car into the Guide factory and had it loaded up, including:
· Inside Day/Night rearview mirror
· Driver’s side remote control mirror (a very rare option)
· Guide-Matic, which dims the headlamps automatically (not an original Chevrolet available option)… still works
· Twilight Sentinel, which turns the headlamps on & off automatically (not an original Chevrolet available option)… still works”
In 1990 ownership of the Impala passed from father to son, and the story continues.
The original AM radio was replaced with an original Chevrolet 1966 AM/FM unit. (original unit is included)
The original standard hubcaps were replaced with 1966 Chevrolet wire wheel covers (originals are included)
From 2000 to 2004 a complete frame off restoration was done. During the restoration, the following was done.
· Rust proofed and painted the frame, which is rust free
· All new suspension components, including springs, ball joints, tie rods, front/real suspension bushings, front center link, etc.
· Rebuilt the engine. Everything was kept stock and the numbers matching block was not decked
· Rebuilt the transmission
· Installed new engine wiring harness, new front wiring harness and new rear wiring harness
· Installed new rear quarter panels and new trunk floor
· Reconditioned original trim pieces. Some trim pieces replaced with reproduction parts where necessary
· New acrylic lacquer paint
· Complete new interior
· New convertible top
· All new rubber seals on doors, trunk, frame convertible top frame, etc.
· New stainless steel brake lines, stainless steel fuel lines and stainless steel automatic transmission lines
In 2013 the third owner of the Impala took possession. During his ownership, the following was done.
· Engine choke adjusted and now works correctly
· Transmission rebuilt with new torque convertor and all new seals
· All brake cylinders replaced and brakes adjusted.
· Front end lubed and front wheel bearings repacked.
· Entire chassis lubed
· New speedometer gear installed to correct low speedo reading
Car was purchased by the current owner, fall of 2015.
Odometer shows 94,697
Included as part of the sale are:
· All original books, including the Protect-O-Plate
· Factory Chevrolet service manual and factory Chevrolet overhaul manual
· Factory assembly manual, Fisher Body service manual
· All restoration receipts and photos of the process
· Service receipts going back to 1972
· Car cover
· And much more, too numerous to list
The presence of the Guide-Matic and Twilight Sentinel options on this Impala, installed by General Motors, but not available to the general public as options on Chevrolet cars may very well make this car unique, one of one. Not to mention its very interesting history.
NOTE: Bidders with zero feedback must contact me before bidding or I will cancel your bid.