1991 Alfa Romeo Spider, new red paint, ready to enjoy! No reserve NR S4
- Condition: Used
- Make: Alfa Romeo
- Model: Spider
- Type: Convertible
- Year: 1991
- Mileage: 76,624
- VIN: ZARBB32G3M6004633
- Color: Red
- Power options: Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Interior color: Tan
- Safety options: Driver Airbag
- Vehicle Title: Salvage Want to buy? Contact seller!
1991 Alfa Romeo Spider
I bought this beautiful 1991 Alfa Romeo Spider in 2006, with 48,000 miles. I owned several other Alfas, so this car was used lightly for 28,000 miles in the past decade. It spent its first 15 years in North Carolina, then five years when I got it in northern Virginia, two yeas in Charleston, S.C., and the past three back in Virginia. It has been a summer-only car, never exposed to salted roads or bad weather, so it is a lovely rust-free example. I am a long-time Alfa Romeo Owners Club board member, and this car led tours and was in the concorso at AROC's 2010 National Convention.
I had always been drawn to the very rare red metallic paint that Alfa offered in 1991, and last year decided to convert the car from its standard red. The conversion to a raspberry metallic hue has been quite a hit. The car’s lines have a refined look that is enhanced by metallic paint, and it gets tons of compliments.
The original Pininfarina Spider design launched 50 years ago in 1966, and many of its classic lines endured into this “Series 4” Spider – a final revision that is itself marking its 25th anniversary. The redesign looks fresh today and this car is a definite head-turner. 1991-1994 final-series Spiders are rare compared to earlier versions, and an appreciating investment. This is an exciting time for Alfa as the brand has returned to America after a two-decade absence, building on the legend of cars like this Spider.
When I bought this Alfa back in 2006, some boards had fallen on the back of the car in its garage, causing cosmetic damage to the trunk area and tearing the soft top. Its frame and mechanicals were not in any way affected. There was no damage to the interior or front of the rust-free car. I fixed the dented trunk, put on a new tan cloth top, and this Alfa was good to go.
The sharp 16-inch wheels came with the car when I bought it. They are a rare look and also help set this car apart. They are shod in good Toyo Extensa HP tires (205/50R16) with less than 10,000 miles on them. Other than the wheels, top, paint, a nice leather shift boot, and a four-speaker CD stereo, this is an all-original car.
This Alfa is in fine mechanical condition. This spring we spent $2,000 on preventative maintenance: Replacing the U joints in the driveline, and putting on new rear shocks and replacing the springs.
· * The gear synchros prefer gentle shifting to avoid crunching, as on many Alfas from this era. They were like this when I got the car and have gotten no worse in nine years.
· * Speedometer and tachometer read low. (The odometer and other gauges work fine and the mileage is accurate.)
· * The Alfa logo on the trunk has lost its enamel. Minor crack in driver side taillight. They were like this when I got the car and not bothersome enough for me to have fixed them.
· * Alfa Spider dashes crack due to hot metal under thin foam. This car has been garaged so the cracks are the lighter variety but are there. The glovebox lid is warped but functional. Seats are vinyl and suede originals; the center inserts never hold up well. See photos for condition; I'd call it average for the miles.
· * The A/C system is complete and worked well a few years ago. It does not blow cold currently.
· II am located in Alexandria, Virginia, 10 miles from Washington, D.C. and its three major airports. You can fly in and drive your new Alfa home. If you send a shipper I’ll be glad to meet them and ensure the car gets loaded safely. And delivery may be possible too, depending where you are located -- I could even deliver the car to you in Nashville at the Alfa Romeo Owners Club National Convention June 14-19!
This car is being offered at no reserve... it's for real, so don't let it get away. I request a $500 deposit within 48 hours of the auction’s completion, and the rest within one week. Deposit may be by PayPal; remainder should be a personal check, bank check or money order. I can mail the title once payment clears if you wish to have it in advance or deliver it with the car.
Thank you for checking out this shiny, happy Alfa Romeo Spider!