1953 Willys M38A1 Army Jeep
Price: US $10,000.00 Item location: Nantucket, Massachusetts, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Willys
- Model: Custom
- Year: 1953
- Mileage: 27,931
- VIN: M38A158892
- Engine size: 4
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Options: 4-Wheel Drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1953 Willys CustomThis 1953 M38A1 is in great condition considering its age, starts easily, and runs well. If you are a collector, restorer, or just a patriot, this is a rare gem and should not be missed! Driven only a few miles each summer, this vehicle can get you from A to B while making quite a statement. We will miss the smiles and head turns that we got driving it around, and the excitement it generated whenever people saw it coming.
This vehicle was purchased in 2005 fully restored. It includes all of the cool features of the M38A1 such as the 24 volt electrical system, the blackout lights, foot starter switch, 3 speed transmission with low/high transfer, rear mounted gas can, and more.
The vehicle has held up very nicely with respect to rust damage as you can see from the picture. Even the compartment below the passenger seat (a common place for rust damage to first become severe) is still in good condition.Note thatmuch of the brown (and some white) you can see on the body is due to an overzealous family member spraying primer onto it. It still starts up quickly, idles nicely, and we drive it around the neighborhood with the kids once in a while.
Items known to be missing, broken, or flakey (not intended to be exhaustive):
- Brakes (they work, but a little soft at the moment... probably need fluid and line seal check)
- Horn (horn itself is there, I don't think the steering wheel switch was ever connected)
- Parking brake (recently stopped engaging)
- Windshield wipers (motors are present, but no blades, an no air tube)
- Choke (cable sheath has detached from dashboard, so you have to hold in place w/hand to deactivate choke)
- Includes 3 cans of correctly matched spray paint purchases at a Willys restoration website
- Vehicle is also for sale locally and may have already sold before the listing is closed.
- This vehicle is on Nantucket and will require a ferry to get it to the mainland. Car tickets are roughly $70.