VW Westfalia 1977 Pop Top Camper Van
Price: US $15,000.00 Item location: Brandywine, Maryland, United States
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Bus/Vanagon
- SubModel: Type 2
- Type: Camper Westfalia
- Trim: Westfalia
- Year: 1977
- Mileage: 999,999
- VIN: 237202372
- Color: Yellow / primer/ rust
- Engine size: 1976 2.0 FI
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Power options: None
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Green Yellow Orange plaid
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1977 Volkswagen Bus/Vanagon Westfalia1977 Westfalia pop top camper van with 1976 FI GE engine, Title in hand. Needs and deserves ground up restoration!!
The body is quite serviceable for its' age but it will need a lot of mechanical attention. All systems will need a good going over or just assume replace everything you can and start fresh (brakes, shocks, steering linkages, clutch and engine wear parts..... The interior is acceptable not ratted out but 40 years old. Many cabinets and drawers. The sink has the manual pump system. Electrical pass through panel, The lower bed flips and tips to bench easily both ways. Front passenger seat rotates. The only interior component missing is the folding table but the bracket is there.
Includes 3 maintenance manuals
I purchased this from a friend last winter with intentions of fixing it up. After further evaluations I have determined that is beyond my resources and want to sell it rather than have it rust in place. It was his daily driver for many years then the starter failed and that was the last straw, he bought a Prius and parked the van.
After 10 years parked in his drive way, he sold it to me. I did a parts assessment and endeavored to get the engine to turn over. Ireplaced plugs, oil and belt andwas successful at getting it to turn over with a new starter and borrowed battery. So it does turn over.
Next step was the fuel system, I realized all the hoses have dry rotted or on their way and high pressure pump is dead. I suspended my efforts at this point. I did not want to risk spraying fuel all over. I did run line to the new filter but stopped at the pump.
So here is what I know, it is a 40 year old WV type 2 bus that has never been restored, not original engine. Clutch has been replaced in the past, found receipt in van.
1. The monstrous 2.0 engine is intact (except for some of the flex ducts) and free. It is fuel injected and that system appears complete. Engine compartment missing rubber seal that goes between engine and body (dry rotted).2. Tires will need to be replaced and there is a spare rim. Tires hold air but are dry rotted (can roll).3. The interior is original green gold and orange plaid bedding and carpet is intact, Drivers seats origina, door panels replace and need to be replaced. Curtain are there but faded.4. Exhaust system will need to be replaced.5. Heating system will need to be replaced - rusted out.6. Electrical system ?? some good some bad.7. Brakes, transmission and suspension I have not looked at, but are present and intact.8. All windows intact but rubber seals will need to be replaced9. All Lights and signals present but would need to be replaced as the lenses are faded or cracked.10. Body shows surface rust but not a lot of rot through, corners of doors worst.11. Paint faded, I did a little 'rust away" and rattle canned a few panels to fight some of the rust, just got tired of looking at the rust.12. Pop top functional but showing age.13. Side door was working until bearing went on top runner so it is closed but I would not open it without part in hand.14. Rear door functions and does engine door, there is an access panel from the top of the engine.15. Will need new tumbler as keys don't turn.16. Most rubber door seals are original showing their age.17. Include assorted spare parts nothing big filters fuses and replacement seal for pop top.18. Bumpers off for painting, all parts bumper and brackets are there, bolts removed.19. Parked in location easily accessible to roll back.20. Listed locally and can sell off Ebay.21. Steering column and ignition disassembled since key tumbler was seized.22. Shipping not include and is the responsibility of the buyer. 23. Sold as is where is not drive-able will not start, will roll and steer.24. Battery area rusted from acid leaching. that panel is gone.25. Will coordinate with buyers rep/inspector to provide access for inspection
Can provide inspection video upon request or skype/cell phone tour.Mileage to be updated.
Note current title has signature of prior owner since I did not get it transferred to me when I bought it. I will get title transferred ASAP, ~ 2 weeks to process, will post when competed, will facilitate transfer.