81 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler - Restored & built like a tank
Price: US $20,000.00 Item location: Encinitas, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Jeep
- Model: CJ
- Trim: Scrambler
- Year: 1981
- Mileage: 42,754
- VIN: 1JCCM88EXBT073912
- Color: Black
- Engine size: Chevy 350 TPI
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: 4WD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: 4-Wheel Drive, Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1981 Jeep CJFor sale is a spectacular condition 1981 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler. This Jeep has been rebuilt to go anywhere - you can drive down the highway going 70 mph, turn off the road and drive up a mountain. While not in car show condition, it is in excellent shape (I keep it in my garage). In good weather, this Jeep is my daily driver and I've never had a problem with her. She is regularly serviced and by all accounts in exceptional operating condition. This Jeep is built to off-road and has tens of thousands of upgrades.
Click here for hi-res photo gallery with 65 images.
Here is a shortlist of upgrades/modifications:
- Chevy 350 Tuned Port Injected crate motor with 4-speed automatic transmission (less than 6000 miles on it)
- Atlas Twin Stick transfer case
- Dana 60 rear
- Dana 44 front
- Strange Axles
- National Leaf Springs
- 4-wheel disk brakes
- DOM full cage (in addition to stock roll bar)
- Griffin radiator with electric cooler
- AGR steering box
- American Racing wheels
- BFG 35" MT (fronts @60%+; rears @40%; spare @100%)
- Aqua waterproof seats
- Dual batteries
- Custom spare tire carrier
- Hi-lift jack
- Rhino lined interior
- Rock bars
- Some new gauges (not all, see pics)
- Bikini top
Assuming my reserve price is hit, the following are also included with the sale:
- Hard top
- Full doors
- Half doors
- Stock spare tire carrier
- Truck has been almost entirely restored. There is virtually no rust (see pictures).
- Paint is in great shape (although not perfect/showroom quality)
- Amazing daily driver during the week, off-road monster on the weekend
- No radio
- Driver side rear tail light is out (I believe a shorted wire)
- Speedometer bounces around at high freeway speeds
- Clock does not work
- Wipers don't work
The "bad" listed above appear to be minor mechanical that I started to troubleshoot, but wife would rather me sell now rather than who knows when after fixing them.
My family has decided we need more of a beach truck than an off-road Jeep. Rather than dismantle something built to go in the dirt, I'm selling her. I've looked at most of the Scramblers for sale in the US at the time of this posting and there are few you will find anywhere that are built like this and none come close to the price I'm will to let her go for. Reserve price is $20,000. I may sell her for less, but I'd expect to not include the additional parts (doors, hard top, etc.) and sell those separately.
Test drives are welcome, if you are local. Inspections are welcome and encouraged. I'm happy to work with your shipper. Please don't bid if you are not ready and able to make full purchase upon winning the auction.
<a href="Hi-res photo gallery with 65 images.</a>.