1976 Chevy Monza
Price: US $500.00 Item location: Mansfield, Pennsylvania, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Chevrolet
- Model: Other
- SubModel: 2+2
- Type: Hatchback
- Trim: 2+2
- Year: 1976
- Mileage: 84,000
- VIN: 1R07B62138485
- Color: Red
- Engine size: Pontiac 2300 4 Cylinder
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: rwd
- Interior color: Tan
- Options: Sunroof
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1976 Chevrolet Other 2+2I have a clear and clean PA title to this 1976 Chevrolet Monza. It is currently PA inspected through the end of the year. I bought this car in December 2012 on eBay for $2,300 without a title and with a lot of issues. The last two summers this car was my daily driver for about 40,000 miles of travel and it never let me down. I put quite a bit of work into it to make it dependable, ut it has been dependable. My parents had a 1979 Sunbird, asically the same car, o it kind of waxed nostalgic for me and that's the real reason I bought it. I'd like to keep it but I have too many irons in the fire, o it's time to let it go.
The Good, he Bad, nd the Ugly...
Right off the line this little car has a lot going for it. So, irst, he good:
- Very solid for this year... The floorboards and everything from in front of the rear wheel wells are solid. The trunk area is also very solid. I'm not talking about the type of "solid" that guys like us who restore old cars and trucks are used to hearing about on eBay and classified where you show up to look at it and there is a bunch of sheet metal you could poke your finger through, mean solid. The bottoms of the doors are rusted out and there is some rust around the rear inner wheel wells but everything else including the floorboards, ocker panels, nd trunk are in amazing shape!
- Extra parts including new steel driver's side door and original style rear spoiler (about $600 worth of extras)
- Four brand new Kumho Ecsta 4X tires and chrome rims 205/55 R15
- New Griffith 3-core aluminum radiator
- New Moog ball joints and tie rod ends (all of them)
- Recent 5-lug conversion and powder coated front cross member and control arms (also recently computer aligned)
- New KYB gas-adjust shocks up front
- New Moog V8 coil springs up front (that's why the front sits so high since it still has the aluminum 4 banger)
- There is some structural rust in the layered, einforced metal around the rear wheel wells; this is not a huge issue if you plan to tub it out which is exactly what I would do if I kept the car
- The rear pinion seal is leaking. When I did the 5-lug conversion I turned down a Chevy S10 pinion on the lathe (the inner pinion bearing on a Monza is smaller than an S10) and I got some runout which was just barely noticeable in the backlash on the ring gear. Bottom line is if you want to keep the GM 7.5 rear (I wouldn't) then it may not be a simple matter of changing the seal because the pinion could be the problem. The gears are otherwise quiet and everything else spec'd out normal and I ran it quite a while like this with no noise or problems other than a leaky seal, ut personally, would swap in a Ford 9 inch at this point.
- The doors are rotted out on the bottom (typical) but it comes with a new driver's door and the passenger's door is fixable
- It needs new rear shocks. The front are new but I did not replace the rear and now there is a problem with the left rear shock
- It's pretty obvious somebody spray bombed this car with rattle cans. That was done before I bought it. I think it was originally burgundy. Obviously, he rattle can crap will have to be removed before any real paint can be applied
- The euro-slider/top-slider style sunroof has to go! I put some camper cap foam gasket under the glass so it no longer leaks but what a fugly sunroof!
I like people and I will spend all day long working with someone who is serious about buying this car! That said, his isn't my first rodeo. Don't ask me to end the auction early. If you have zero or negative feedback, lease contact me before bidding so that I can get a feel for whether you are serious. Please have cash in hand before you bid! Cash is preferred but I will take a cashier's check as long as you let me know ahead of time and you don't mind providing the details (your name, ank name, heck number, tc) that I need to verify the check with the bank. Shipping is the buyer's responsibility. I will not end the auction early. My reserve is my minimum price