THE "BEAUTIFUL" 1974 FJ40
A COMPLETE, BY-THE-BOOK restoration. This is not a slapped together restoration that's missing lots of things. EVERYTHING from the small wiper motor circuit cover, the fuel filter mount bracket, the rear tire latch, the clutch housing viewport covers, to the accelerator linkage is all period-correct. No detail overlooked. Included are the ORIGINAL hose wire-clamps, toyota-spec nuts and bolts (we saved them all), original metal front seat panels, and original front drum brake parts for the purist who would prefer to bring this to as stock as possible. ENGINE is the correct 1974 California spec model and is desmogged (this was a California spec Cruiser). It is an all ORIGINAL body with NO replacement panels or body parts. Roll bars are ORIGINAL. HARD-TOP and doors are not period correct but can be easily changed. Rear tail lights ARE correct for the year. They are not modifications.
SOR rebuilt F-engine. Dune Beige 416 single-stage paint (how it was done from factory). Original color. Frame and body VINs match. Transmission is ORIGINAL. A truly awesome truck with original floor mat, original seat belts, original horns, stock rims, original rear seats, original dealer option Warn 8274 winch, original dealer option warn hubs.
This was built to last and be used. Parts and labor invested well over $80,000. All receipts kept down to the nuts and bolts. Over 2000 hours of labor POST-teardown went into this. Looks like new inside and out. Nothing hidden or covered up. All traces of rust removed down to the body seams and inner frame.
The early year FJ40 models feature the best steel of all years making them less prone to rust and corrosion. With less than 59,000 miles on this FJ40, which lived its whole life in the dry climate of central Oregon, rust was almost non-existent. Its original engine was still in excellent shape. Cylinder compression stands at 155-160 psi for all cylinders. This restoration was led by Matt Pennock, a mechanic of 20 years. This is his second FJ40 restoration. Body work was done professionally, and paint was professionally done with a single-stage urethane after the original methods of the early days. Even the color was restored to it's original Dune Beige 416. A much-loved Cruiser color!
- SOR Rebuilt engine was honed, re-ringed, and has new rod bearings. Head was magnafluxed, resurfaced, new freeze-plugs, valve springs re-shimmed, valve seats reground, painted. All new gaskets and seals.
- Over 85 percent of nuts, bolts, and screws are new with tons of stainless steel hardware placed especially in vulnerable areas (inside fenders, hinges, door pins, etc.)
- Wiring harness completely overhauled with new vintage terminals and connectors just like originals. Switches cleaned/rebuilt, all cables greased, overhauled, or replaced.
- Tuned, road-tested, and dialed in. Oil flushed and re-filled with synthetic 10w30 after 150 miles. Coolant flushed and re-filled at 200 miles. Manifold/carb bolts re-torqued. Oil-pan bolts re-torqued. Purrs like a cat.
- 75-84 model hard-top and doors adds nicer interior feel and functionality.
- Powder-coated steering column, original roll bars, wheels, tire carrier bracket, center console and more.
- Frame coated with POR-15
- Stainless steel fuel lines, stainless steel braided fuel hoses with additional fabric braided sheathing. Custom AN fittings.
- Notorious spots and corners on hard-top prone to leakage re-welded or improved.
- Underside was epoxy sealed then coated with Raptor Liner.
- Front disc brake conversion utilizes an FJ60 master cylinder upgrade providing superior braking. Stops on a dime. Original front drum brakes/master cylinder included for the ultra-purists out there.
- Many rare and hard-to-find parts: a beautiful looking original floor mat, bottle jack and tools, rear license plate bracket, steering wheel, Warn 8274 winch, stock seat belts, knobs, and horns.
- OME shocks, Energy Suspension body mounts, new bushings, and U-bolts make for a nice smooth ride.
- Everything works! From the heater to the gears to the light.
- RetroSound Radio with BT/iPod/USB support, two carefully placed Kicker front speakers. Easily expandable audio system.
- Rear trailer hitch and hookup for your off-road trailers, campers, etc.
- Fully documented, fresh restore with only a couple hundred miles on it, just getting broken in!
For a complete data sheet on the restoration click here
Currently just 250 miles on fresh restore. Ruddy, and powerful. Drives like the King that it is. Ooohs and aahhs guaranteed. Great investment opportunity these are only going up in value.
Click below for a 1080p video of the rig:
1974 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
Video will open in a new window [isdntekvideo]
Click below for a cool timelapse video of the build:
1974 FJ40 Land Cruiser Restoration - Cool time lapse! (2017) - YouTube
Video will open in a new window [isdntekvideo]
View 83 Post-Restoration photos
View 300+ Build photos
View 150+ Tear-down photos
For video on SOR engine rebuild process click here
We can work with local shippers to assist buyer, or buyer can choose their own. All shipping costs are buyers responsibility. Buyers are welcome to fly in and inspect the vehicle, drive it home, or have it shipped. Vehicle is located just a 5 minutes drive from PDX Airport.
$1000 deposit is due within 48 hours of winning bid. Remaining payment due within 7 days and is preferred in the form of cashier's check or wire transfer.
Vehicle is for sale locally, we reserve the right to end listing early. For inquiries email email@example.com or call 503 724 9519 for questions.