1979 PORSCHE 928 RARE 5 SPEED SUNROOF DELETE MANUAL SEATS GUARDS RED NO RESERVE
Price: - Item location: Astoria, New York, United States
- Make: Porsche
- Model: 928
- Type: Coupe
- Year: 1979
- Mileage: 83120
- VIN: 9289201876
- Color: Red
- Engine size: 4.5L
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Power options: Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tan
- Options: Leather Seats
- Vehicle Title: Clean Want to buy? Contact seller!
1979 Porsche 928This auction is for my 1979 Porsche 928. It is Guards Red exterior and Cork interior, which is a rare interior color. It has the factory 4.5L engine and rare 5 speed dogleg transmission. Miles are 83,120 and look to be original.
This car is a rare early US model without any options: no sunroof, manual seats. Early cars also had the easier to repair K-Jetronic injection system. I bought it to restore it, but I have run out of garage room and need to continue to sell down my car collection.
The car had about $5,500 worth of work over this summer to start the restoration from a Porsche specialist shop:
- Full tune up (ignition cap/rotor, all filters) and fluids change, with Redline oil in transaxle
- Timing adjustment to factory specs (valve timing, ignition distributor re-indexed)
- EGR/air pump delete
- Install 928 Motorsports front strut brace and skid plates
- Install 928 Motorsports short shifter and replace front ball cup, new shift knob and boot
- Rebuild rear shift coupler with 928 Motorsports parts
- Replace all intake manifold and throttle body rubber couplers
- Clean all fuse box connections and replace aux fan relay
- Replace brake pads and install Troutman stainless braided brake lines (DOT compliant)
With the above work, the car can be driven anywhere. It is fast, idles properly, pulls hard all the way to redline, does not overheat, and brakes very well. It has good tires with tons of life left (Continental ContiWinterContact tires). Also, the car looks to be almost entirely rust free throughout, only the rear of the battery box looks like it had some prior rust repair (which is a common and easy fix). Electric windows and lights all work.
This is a project car and it has some items that could be addressed. It was a product of the 1980s, when I got it I found both a K40 radar detector and Clifford alarm improperly wired which I yanked out. It also has a plaque right above the shifter which says "Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hold on". I left this on for the next owner given how hilarious it is. A previous owner also installed a straight-through exhaust (no cat) and Borla cat back exhaust, the car sounds amazing. A previous owner really loved this car.
Issues with the car that I know of:
- AC compressor is missing
- Interior is ugly and seats need to be recovered (it was parked outside and the sun took its toll so new seat covers are available on ebay for $600, plus someone installed a horrible dash cover and left velcro on the dash)
- Prior re-paint is ugly and body needs some love (front fenders were trimmed for 19" wheels, and rear fenders took some hits from the inside from those wide wheels as well)
- Rear hatch seal needs replacing
- Oil pan could be replaced (it hit bottom at some point, it was repaired and does not leak but simply is not pretty to look at)
- Rear wheel studs should be replaced (originals were cut down for a 2" spacer that is still hard mounted on the car and should be removed)
- Wheels are D90 16x6 front 16x8 rear so the fronts are 911 wheels that are too narrow (I have matching 16x7 front wheels I purchased separately to refinish that come with the car)
- One rear wheel has some overspray from a spray can and needs refinishing (someone must have been painting something near the car)
- Gas gauge and odometer are intermittent
I am including the following parts with the car:
- Owners manuals set
- Full 928 workshop manuals
- Rearview mirror
- 928 Motorsports oil control baffle
- 928 Motorsports rear hatch receiver liner
- 10x new 66mm wheel studs (I already installed the other 10 on the front hubs)
- New NGK spark plugs
- Key blank
- 2x D90 16x7 front wheels (purchased from Ebay, 1 needs straightening)
THIS IS A NO RESERVE AUCTION. Car will be sold to the high bidder, I hope it goes to a good home given how much fun it is to drive and all the labor put into it already. With the exhaust and the EGR/air pump delete, and the recent tune up, you will be hard pressed to find a better driving and faster 928. I need it gone this month unfortunately given space constraints.
Please do not bid if you cannot buy. Deposit is due within 24 hours of auction end, and car must be picked up and fully paid for within 7 days of auction end. Car is in Astoria, NY 11105. Clear NY title in hand.
Send me a message with any questions, I have more pictures and a video of the car running on the lift. Car is sold as is, with no warranty expressed or implied.
IF ANYONE USES BUY IT NOW PRICE I WILL REFINISH THE FULL SET OF 16x7/16x8 WHEELS.