1980 Mercedes Benz 300GD Gelandewagen G-Wagen Turbo Diesel
- Condition: Used
- Make: Mercedes-Benz
- Model: G-Class
- SubModel: 300gd
- Type: SUV
- Trim: 300GD
- Engine size:OM617
- Number of cylinders:5
- Drive type: 4WD
- Interior color: Black
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Options: 4-Wheel Drive, CD Player
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1980 Mercedes-Benz G-Class 300GD
I purchased this G-Wagen in Feb 2017 with the intention of repairing the rust and using it as an adventure / overland vehicle. It's clear that I won't have a lot of time to accomplish that in the near future, so I'm offering it up for sale.
Since I've purchased the vehicle, I've driven it approx 2000 miles. I've had the forward drive shaft rebuilt with new U joints, Installed a new Bosch battery, changed the oil, and done some general cleaning and maintenance to keep it mechanically sound. It drives great, starts easily, and doesn't smoke, stutter, or hesitate. The steering is tight (although it's no 911), and tracks straight down the road. The engine is fantastic. The transmission shifts smoothly into and out of every gear. The transfer case suffers from a misadjustment or bent fork, causing it to pop out of 4 low when a lot of torque is applied. It can easily be held in 4 low by hand. 2wd and 4 high function as they should. The speedometer is semi-functional in that it reads 10-20% low when checked with GPS. The odometer is inop. The gas gauge functions intermittently. All other gauges and indicators work as they should. The stereo sounds great. Doors all open and close easily and are well adjusted. In short, this truck is a very mechanically solid, rare, and capable vehicle that'll make the next owner very happy.
- The rust, while quite significant, seems to be confined mostly to the body, with the exception of one spot on the left rear shock mount. I'll let the photos speak for themselves, but it presents much better in person. In my opinion, the rust is quite repairable, although it'll probably never be a show car and won't fit in with the G-Wagens at Starbucks.....
- The OM617 was installed by Metric Motors in California at a considerable costs (see maintenance records)
- I haveOVER $28,000in maintenance receipts since the vehicle was imported from Germany in 2005!!
- The Webasto Heater functions properly
- The interior is clean and original, and has survived very well. Overall interior is 6-7/10
- A large binder full of original documents, import papers, and maintenance records is included.
- includes 2 keys, a large amount or spare parts, the original tire carrier, and a clean and clear New Mexico title.
PLEASE - before you bid, have a look at the additional info and photos here:
Buyers are also encouraged to come have a look in person before bidding. Remember, once you bid, you're obligated to purchase the vehicle at your bid price. Price and terms will NOT be negotiated after the auction is over.