1991 HONDA CRX SI Black Clean Title 187k Orig Miles Orig Engine Stock HURRY!
Price: - Item location: San Francisco, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Honda
- Model: CRX
- Type: Hatchback
- Year: 1991
- Mileage: 186634
- VIN: JHMED9368MS004515
- Color: Black
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clean Want to buy? Contact seller!
1991 Honda CRXOk, I am getting old and so it is probably time to hand off this beloved CRX Si to the next owner who will hopefully not only maintain her but possibly restore her to full (or as much as possible) stock glory. I have totally enjoyed the last 19 years of my ownership, and frankly, if this auction doesn't result in my baby going to a new home, well, I will just keep her since we all know about the value of these babies and how they are getting harder to find in mostly unmolested shape (at least where it really counts). Case in point, look at my competition on here. All are either modified cars or cars with higher miles or more importantly NOT OF THIS YEAR AND TRIM LEVEL!!! Perhaps arguable (or not), but for the true everyday enthusiast fanboy/fangirl the 1991 Si edition in BLACK and with the standard 5 sp tranny is the quintessential FUN car that is what makes the CRX so great and why Hagerty named this car as a TOP TEN CAR TO BUY IN 2020. Sure, not as rare as say in Tahitian Green color or a JDM edition, but I am not asking for a lot either (IMO). Come on, even that extremely nice $15K JDM Si is an AUTOMATIC!!! What makes these cars awesome to drive and toss around is the shifting fun as you rev up the baby! Let's not kid ourselves!!! And, don't you want a car that you will be more than comfortable driving it daily where you are not going to be really upset if a ding or a scratch happens or god forbid worries about theft, right? Who really wants a garage queen? This car is meant to be driven and those previous owners or folks who have driven this car know all about it. Shoot, I want to take her out later (disclaimer: odometer will be slightly higher than what is posted)....
Ok, now that I got your attention (or not) let's get the BAD out of the way:
- Paint is shot and there are some minor rust throughout (mostly from being parked outside here years ago as I am relatively close to the San Francisco beach). Body has some dings, mostly small. Rear driver bumper corner was rubbed by another car so hopefully you can buff it out or just address when repainting. Rear fender edge where hatch lid meets was reworked due to surface rust. Some work needed by the driver door handle edge (saw old bondo).
- Sunroof works but sticks (won't close in completely every time) so to be more than fair I will just say it is not working. My mechanic recently said it worked but it could be a bump stop issue but there are certainly some rust issues in the lid as well. I tried to find a replacement lid at a decent price but couldn't and I figure the next owner can do that properly when underway with the restoration project.
- Typical wear in the driver seat as shown in pic.
- Car has air conditioning but I was told it may not be an OEM system. It works and while not ice cold it probably just needs recharging.
- Some of the interior trim pieces are bad, broken/cracked or of different color. See pic of rear interior passenger side panel especially and door panel edges.
- After long drives, a hint of burnt oil can be present but no oil leaks (at least, not seeing a drop in my garage). It could have been from the rusted out exhaust system that has been since replaced. Yes, I park this inside now due to theft concerns. Someone stole my rim center caps years ago and recently I bought 4 on here but they need repainting/refinishing and you will get those too.
- Tires are still decent/good but slow leak in one of the fronts. Car was never a daily driver, only weekender. I only put, what, 76K miles over 19 years for what was technically a primary car?
- Hood release cable may need some attention soon as opening the hood via lever inside was spotty but mechanic addressed for now.
- Car had a Python alarm installed years ago but it doesn't work anymore. Power locking for doors still works from inside.
Ok, let's go to the GOOD:
- Again, it is after all a Black 1991 Honda CRX Si, the last year of the iconic car which should be the most refined version of any year. No doubt this car will be worth much, much more later. Why sell then? Again, I'm older and I have other way bigger fish to fry.
- Clear title
- No accidents
- Original engine with only 187k miles and original tranny.
- Favorable carfax report in hand available for your review. (Oh, I believe I am the 4th owner if I am interpreting the carfax report right by counting the title changes.) Car spent some time in Colorado early in its life.
- Runs very strong and still gets great mileage.
- Smogs easily enough and will be done again for sale. No smog certification, I hand you your money back pronto.
- Non oem items (over the years after purchase): Alarm (not working but power locks still work), Nakamichi deck (works but old); HID lights; most recently HKS stainless steel exhaust
- Last things changed : brakes/rotors; distributor and main relay
FINAL DISCLAIMER: WHAT I HAVE DISCLOSED ABOVE IS EVERYTHING I KNOW ABOUT THE CAR SINCE PURCHASING IT ON JUNE 23, 2001. ANYTHING PRIOR TO THAT, I WAS AND AM UNAWARE OF SO PLEASE BID ACCORDINGLY!!! CAR IS BEING SOLD ON AN AS-IS BASIS. NO RETURNS.
I have never sold a car on here before, so not sure what the standard procedures are but let's try to cover it all:
- Locals wanting to look at car? No dice, not without at least $2.5k in cash with you before I even open the garage for you. No cash, no nada. Dealing with mostly punks on Craigslist over the years is why I am not listing this on Craigslist.
- You want to pay for a local mechanic or someone to check her out? He/she has to have an official business with license to show for it. You will still have to show proof that you have well over say $5k currently in your bank account. Your mechanic or reviewer must be a true business with a decent/clean history. Oh, proof of valid insurance is needed for all comers, of course.
- I will work with whatever shipper or shipping company you hire. I am working from home 100% for now anyway.
- At close of auction, if reserve is met, I will require an immediate $1k deposit transfer into my Wells Fargo bank account using Zelle. The rest in cash or cashier's check. I will give you a few business days maximum to wrap things up as I am moving to a new home soon too.
- A Bill of Sale will be provided in however format you wish.
THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK!!! SHE DESERVES A GREAT, NEW HOME!!!