1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660 2dr V8
- Condition: Used
- Make: AMC
- Model: AMX
- SubModel: Rambler Classic
- Type: 2 door Sedan
- Trim: 660
- Year: 1964
- Mileage: 74,664
- VIN: Z196568
- Color: White
- Engine size: 327 V8
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Teal
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1964 AMC AMX 660
* I'm listing this car for a friend. I'm not the owner of the car, however, all questions regarding the car will be directed to him. His contact information will be provided to serious buyers wanting more information.
* Note: The ad title reads title as AMC AMX. This is obviously not correct. While creating the ad for the car, the ad formatting would not allow me to add the correct title, and left no real options, but to pick one of five model choices of which all were not correct. Please forgive ...
I bought this 1964 Rambler Classic 660 2-door sedan from a fellow American Motors Owners Association member back in 2002. Until then, the car had spent its entire life in San Antonio, TX. So it is truly rust free! Even though I invested a lot of time and money in the car, I’ve used it sparingly over the years. I doubt that I’ve put more than a couple hundred miles on it. I’d trailer it to shows that were any distance away, and drive it to local shows. The rest of the time it was stored in a climate controlled environment.
The car was originally ordered from the factory with the 287 V-8 engine, automatic transmission, power steering, power drum brakes, tilt steering wheel, individual reclining seats, remote-control outside mirror, AM radio, and white wall tires.
In 2003, I had the car professionally repainted, installed new radial tires (on the stock wheels), and had the seats recovered in the identical clear “puffed” plastic. When we removed the original plastic covers, we found the original cloth and vinyl upholstery in perfect condition. They still are today! The rest of the interior is original, including side panels, dash, carpet (which has some holes in it), and headliner (which is water stained over the passenger door opening).
The original 287 V-8 was getting tired, so in 2004, I took it out, and rebuilt an Ambassador 327 4-barrel short block for it. I painted it “287 Blue” and put 287 decals on the valve covers, so it still looks original under the hood. (327s were red.) I used the crank and heads off the 287 in the rebuild. The 287 block, intake, and 2-V carb go with the car at no extra cost, if desired.
I was told the transmission had been serviced prior to my ownership, so I left it alone. It engages and shifts fine, but it could use a minor band adjustment if you are really picky. A few years ago, a friend who owns a transmission shop had the same transmission as this car’s, so I bought it and had him rebuild it, just to have it sitting on a shelf. It isn’t included in this auction, but if the winning bidder wants it, we can work out some kind of deal.
I had a custom “high flow” single exhaust system made for the car to take advantage of the 327 engine. We used bigger than stock pipes, and a Walker Ultra Flow muffler (straight-through design) in the stock location (transverse between the rear axle and gas tank). Even though it flows better, it is still very quiet.
The car run, drives, and stops confidently. I just installed a brand new battery 7/22/17.
The ONLY reason I am offering it for sale here is because I need the room. I’ve acquired too many projects in the last few years, so some of the finished cars have to go.
The original stock steel wheels with poverty caps and brand new radial whitewall tires go with the car.
The Torque Thrust wheels and blackwall radial tires (shown in last two pictures) do not go with the car. If the winning bidder wants them, something can be worked out for them.
Bid with confidence. I've described it to the best of my ability, and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
*The car is sold "as is". There is no warrantyexpressed or implied.
* Serious bidders only. If you have questions, ask them before bidding.
* Car is located in Portland, Michigan USA. The buyer is responsible for pick-up and delivery. However, I will assist with that in any way I can.
* A $500.00 (non - refundable) deposit, will be due with 48 hours of auction ending.
* Deposit options include:
- Deposit payment to seller representative'sPay Pal account
- Direct cash down payment to seller in person.
- Arranged agreement between the buyer and seller
* Balance of Payment :Cash or a bank wire transfer for the balance will be due within 7 days after the auction is over arranged with the seller to his account or in person.