1991 Volvo 240 Wagon (the classic "Swedish Brick")
Price: - Item location: Cary, North Carolina, United States
- Make: Volvo
- Model: 240
- Type: Wagon
- Trim: DL
- Year: 1991
- Mileage: 194,872
- VIN: YV1AA8859M1899712
- Color: Blue
- Engine size: 2.3 L
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Power options: Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Blue
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Safety options: Anti-Lock Brakes, Driver Airbag
- Options: CD Player
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1991 Volvo 240 DLThis is a fun 1991 Volvo 240DL Wagon that has been driven, maintained and loved by our family for years. Unfortunately, it's time to find it a new home, as other projects now demand our time and attention. Valid title is included.
Full disclosure: The car has not run in a few years (it stopped sometime between 2013-15), and I suspect the timing belt is broken (which isNOT fatal in a Volvo 240 --The engine is not an interference engine, and broken timing belts can be replaced). It was running great as my wife's daily driver up until its final trip, when it quit suddenly a couple miles from where it sits today. Sadly, I have neither the time nor inclination to investigate, as this is not the only classic Volvo in our driveway these days. My original plan was to either fix it or (horror!) cannibalize the car's excellent interior and body panels (and perhaps its engine, if needed) to improve one of our other 240s... but I haven't had the heart (or need) to tear into this beauty! Meanwhile, it sits...
I'm guessing it won't take much effort for someone to get it back on the road, but please understand that this IS a 26-year-old car, and as such, it needs TLC (I've listed the major issues below). That said, I'm sure it can make someone else as happy as my family has been with it over the years. Volvo 240s are fairly easy to work on, and parts are plentiful; they make great projects or fixer-uppers, and -- gulp -- if you already have one of your own, this one could also make an excellent donor car.
- Unique dark blue interior with light blue exterior
- Air conditioning works great (when car runs)
- Trailer hitch installed
- Upholstery is in GREAT shape for a 26-year-old car
- Odometer still works at 195K (If you know 240s, you'll understand how rare a working odometer is!)
- No known electrical issues
- Seat warmers!
- External AUX plug for MP3 player/cell phone
What's not great:
- Does not run (suspect timing belt)
- Currently stuck in park (Simply jiggling the gearshift has remedied this in the past, but something is definitely amiss)
- Hood currently stuck (a recent development, resulting in the lack of engine pics here)
- Paint is showing its age, and some surface rust has begun to appear on front driver's fender where paint has disappeared. No serious rust issues, but it DOES need paint).
NOTE (Again): This car is currently NOT in running condition and will need to be towed to the buyer's location. Transportation/delivery is not included and must be arranged by the buyer within a reasonable time frame after winning this auction.