1971 Volkswagen Bus/Vanagon deluxe
Bought this as a roller 3-4 years ago. Rebuilt or replaced everything except transmission. Started with engine (1776), German case, cranks, rods, etc...engle 100 cam and lifters, revtech heads polished with stainless valves one size larger on valving. AA forged pistons, SVDA distributor, Weber 40mm dual cars (empi clones). Added external oil sump. Cleaned and painted gas tank. Had to tear apart good German beetle heater boxes to fabricate for bus use. Installed oil and head temp gauge. Replaced calipers, rotors, drums, all rubber brake lines, shocks all around, new ball joints, tie rods and stabilizer. Went thru steering box and no issues. Rebuilt CVs with German parts. New torsion bushings. Had all locks re-keyed to match. Locking rear hatch and engine lid also. I installed Wolfburg west locking shift lock. Ignition and wiring had to be rewired correctly to remove the tractor ignition some PO put in place. New Kenwood head unit. All wiring was cleaned up and corrected from years of bad work, yes all lights and even horn work.rebuilt z bed bottom. Upgraded middle sliding glass with new style sliders from Just Kampers. Also replaced window seals in all fixed glass with German seals except rear passenger as that seal will be okay. Searched far and wide and found correct bumpers. New tires and wheels. Wanted it to look better before I figured out on full paint and body plan. So I sanded down with orbital sander 280-320 grit and shot with enamel single stage for quick cover up. Quick spray was intended to be short term as I sprayed it about 5 months ago. Did perform minor metal work before quick spray but most damage is in front. I pulled on front nose as much as possible but needs a entire front nose to be done correctly. Passenger dogleg will need some work if not replacement. Rear hatch has rust at bottom so I have clean replacement that goes with bus.Will need a front clip which is approximately 750 with shipping from green metal fab. I welded in front floor patches but had planned to replace front floor when I replaced front nose. I welded a chain for VW front emblem and tacked it onto front nose. Basically was getting ready to replace front nose and respray entire bus.Please ask, I replaced almost everything from gas tank thru emergency brake cables. Too much to list here. Was using as a weekend cruiser, or backup for daily driver, but not using near as much anymore. Engine and basic rebuild of bus has 6000 miles. Bus runs really nice with engine setup. I easily drive 75 on highway and had higher. Basically am not driving this or really interested anymore.Should be driven and enjoyed after all the work I did. Believe it came from California. Very little rust, especially underneath. I will get up pictures tomorrow of underside. Will try to upload video of engine running.