1968 VW Karmann Ghia - Incredible Restoration - featured in Hot VW Magazine
- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Karmann Ghia
- Type: Coupe
- Year: 1968
- Mileage: 32,480
- VIN: 146454090
- Color: Red
- Engine size: 2007
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
This 1968 Karmann Ghia is for someone who wants to own one of the best examples in the country. Karmann Ghia coupes have been my passion and we have owned three in recent years. When you are in your mid 70â€™s you begin to accept the notion that you best find good homes for most of your cars.
A very special effort went into the restoration of this Karmann Ghia, but only to the credit of a previous owner. The completed car was properly recognized being the featured vehicle in a multiple page color display in â€œHot VWsâ€ magazine. A thick ring binder (see photos) documents all the restoration costs.Improvements were all about performance, with just a hint of the â€œoutlawâ€ look. Just as some Porsche 356's have evolved into â€œoutlawsâ€, the most successful ones in my opinion are those that do not look very dramatic or glaringly different from stock.
Here is a brief bullet list of the features that make this Ghia one of the best out there.
- Exhaust: S&S merged header which has been HPC coated
- Gene Berg high performance shifter
- Crank: Scat 78mm Pro Street
- Pistons and Cylinders: Cima 90.5mm
- Cam: Engle 110
- Valve Train: VW e.1:1rockers, solid shafts, stock push rods
- Valves: 40mm x 36mm stainless steel
- Heads: German VW duel port, polished and ported
- Displacement : 2007 cc
- Compression Ratio: 9.5 to 1
- Ignition: Bosch 009
- Induction: Dual Weber 44IDF
- Intake Manifold: Aluminum, match-ported and polished
- Flywheel: 200mm lightened, 8 dowel pins
- Special Mods: Gene Berg pulley, full-flow oil system, remote filter, windage tray, Melling oil pump
- Transmission Builder: Transform, Long Beach, CA
- Gear Rations 3.8 first, 2.06 second, 1.26 third, .089 fourth
- Shortened Axles
- Dog house oil cooler
There are some lovely everyday Karmann Ghia drivers out there, and they are being enjoyed by passionate owners who are happy driving those vehicles. This Ghia is for someone who wants to own an exceptional example and is willing to go over budget to make it theirs.
This car has no weaknessesâ€¦ and driving it is exciting. Looking at it after you park it makes you smile.