1974 Type 1/Model 181 Volkswagen Thing
- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Thing
- Year: 1974
- Mileage: 92,822
- VIN: 1842625597
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Drive side: Right-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1974 Volkswagen Thing
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number): 1842625597
Exterior Color: Pumpkin Orange
Interior Color: Black
Vehicle Title: Clear
Transmission: 4 Speed Manual
Number of Cylinders: 4
Fuel Type: Regular Gasoline
Body Type: Convertible
Drive Side: Left-hand drive
For Sale By: Private Seller
Disability Equipped: No
Warranty: Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty
1974 Type 1/Model 181 Volkswagen Thing
Just been sitting in the garage for the past four years I've owned it...only got it running this past year.
One of the best cars I've had the pleasure of experiencing - VERY eye-catching with its bright orange color! A great summer car!
The car does have sun visors and a wooden hinged door for the glove compartment; on the photos they weren't attached as I was doing a routine clean of the car. PLEASE NOTE the interior and underside of the Thing is a bit dirty in the photos, but I have since cleaned both.
VW Things were only manufactured in the U.S. from 1973-74 and have become increasingly rare to find!
• New shifter assembly and linkage - replaced December 2016
• Working front, rear, and braking headlights
• 4 seats complete with 4 working seatbelts
o Both front seats have adjustable seat backs
• Door locking mechanisms on each of the 4 doors work
• Comes with brand new 15'' tires and wheels installed, as well as a brand new spare tire with wheel
• Pull out ash tray on the dash
• The exterior of the Thing is in great condition, though there are a few minor scratches
• Front and rear bumpers are in excellent condition
• This car has never been driven in the snow, as a result there is no salt damage and there is no rust present on the vehicle
• No modern modifications have been made to the Thing
o 2 CDs: A 181 VW Thing Service Manual, as well as a VW Parts Manual & Parts Interchange Guide
o 4 windows, not attached to the vehicle
2 Seat brackets
o 1 Black soft top, not attached to the vehicle
o A brand new swing out tire carrier with instructions to be set
o A black tow bar (not pictured) and portable car jack
Â§ Tow bar attaches to the front axle of the car & makes it easy to move the Thing from one location to another
o 4 black carpet floor mats and a felt floor covering for the rear footwells
o An extra set of wiper blades
o Pint of orange paint for touch ups (only Â¼ of the can is left)
o Original radio, though it is not functioning and is not attached to the dash
Previous Work Done
Prior to my owning it this car was in New York- previous owner:
Repainted car orange (was originally yellow)...fully took apart the car & restored it...all panels were taken down to bare metal & coated with ppg epoxy sealer...body work was sealed with urethane primer and painted with a DuPont paint and clear...floors were replaced (all rusted out panels were cut out and replaced, and the panels that weren't damaged were saved and restored)...rear fenders are only items that are not stock...engine was taken out and rebuilt; bolt-on items like carburetor, exhaust, starter, coil, plugs, fuel pump, oil pump, oil cover, pulley belts, and more were replaced...all the lights were replaced...mirrors and sun visors were replaced...original transmission...all shocks were replaced...front ball joints were replaced...front sway bar bushings were replaced...all brake cables were replaced...bottom of the Thing was coated with a bed liner spray to prevent rust from occurring in the future
• Turn signals and hazard lights do not work
• Windshield wipers do not work
• Horn does not work
• There is no heater installed
• Parts and hardware that comprise the frame for the soft top are missing
• 2 holes in the footwells of the rear seats; each hole is about the size of a United States nickel
PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS BEFORE BUYING - PURCHASE IS FINAL. YOU CAN ASK FOR MORE PICTURES.
THE BUYER PAYS FOR SHIPPING AND PICK UP COSTS
Shipping is responsibility of the buyer as is where is.
NON REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT OF $1,000.00 required within 24 hours of winning auction, remaining amount must be paid within 1 week. Vehicle must be picked up within 2 weeks.
We will accept wire transfer.