1986 VW Vanagon Westfalia Weekender Wolfsburg Camper Pop-Top 2.1l WBX auto-trans
Price: - Item location: Greer, South Carolina, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Bus/Vanagon
- SubModel: Weekender Wolfsburg Edition
- Type: Van Camper
- Year: 1986
- Mileage: 206,000
- VIN: WV2XB0259GH014882
- Engine size: 2.1liter water boxer
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Gold
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1986 Volkswagen Bus/VanagonDescription:
Year: 1986 / Engine: 2.1 Liter - Water cooled boxer engine (WBX) / Transmission: Automatic / Mileage: ca. 206.000 miles
You are viewing a nice driving, nice looking bus, which is an example of a 3-year-only model, the 1985-87 Wolfsburg Weekender.
This is the first year of the improved model with increased engine size, better brakes, electrical system and more. Relatively rare non-metallic paint, and in overall good condition.
Engine Code: MV011217*
Reserve: Yes, set at $7500,-
Since at least 1994, this vehicle has lived on the east coast of the United States. From 1994 to 2004, it lived in Pennsylvania. I purchased the vehicle in 2004 in Philadelphia and drove it to South Carolina, where it has lived ever since. In 2005 I took it on a road trip across the US to San Francisco. Hey, you want to ride in style, right? As I decided to sell my 97 Avalon 3 years ago, my Westy has become my daily driver.
The van has been regularly maintained and is a solid and reliable car.
The exterior is in overall good condition. Paint and body is nice for daily use and camping but not at a show winning level. There are a few imperfections and smaller dents and dings. The interior is in very good condition with no obvious stains or tears to the carpeting or seats. Gas mileage is in between 16-17 mpg, from what I understand, this is pretty good for a 2.1liter WBX with automatic transmission.
Below some of the repairs / maintenance performed over the years:
- Seats recovered
- Dashboard Crack-Repaired and Repainted
- Interior paneling removed, cleaned and repainted
- Pop-Top Tent Replaced in 2015
- Skylight and Skylight-Seal Replaced
- Pop-Top Roof Repainted Windshield replaced in 2006
- Carpet Cleaned and Partially Replaced
- Door Panels Replaced
- Rebuilt Automatic Transmission 42K miles ago
- Oil Pressure Sensors Replaced
- Replaced Power Steering Rack
- New water pump
- Shocks replaced 32K miles ag
- New Control Arm Bushings and Upper Joints
- Tires replaced 10K miles ago
- Replaced Fuel Pump Fuel Tank Resealed
- Main Heater Blower Motor replaced
- Replaced Thermostat and Housing
- New Coolant Hoses - partially
- Stainless Steel Cylinder Exhaust Headers
- Auxiliary Heater core under rear bench replaced
- Replaced Hatch Struts Installed
- Mosquito Net for Hatch
- Fog Lights
- Bike Rack Hitch / Receptor
- Slight Oil Leak between Transmission and Engine
- Non-Operational: Cruise Control, Air Conditioning, Rear Windshield Wiper, Clock
- Slight howling noise going uphill or under load at lower speeds (30-40pmh) It has been present for years. Some forums suggest, a slight noise is normal for transmissions with external oil cooler (auxiliary heater). I did not want to start changing parts out, just by guessing and it never bothered me, so I left it alone.
- Exact Mileage Unknown As I bought the car in 2004 the seller's title stated 124,317 miles and odometer showed 24,000. Currently odometer is showing 81,224, so I estimate the real mileage to be around 206,000 miles.
- Airflow Meter due for Replacement I had the cap off the sensor ca. 1 year ago and the wipers did leave tracks on the black resistor pad. Not surprising for a 30 year old car, so it is due for replacement. Rebuild ones are $250 at gowesty.com
- No fridge / No 2nd battery - hookup space for 2nd battery available under driver's seat
$500 deposit via personal check within 3 days of end of auction
Balance due via cashier's check sent via FedEx or cash in person within 5 working days or 7 week days after end of auction.
Pick up / shipping:
Vehicle must be picked up via carrier or in person no later than 29.June2017
The fine print: I am a private seller and selling this vehicle "as is" without warranty. You are encouraged to come, test drive and inspect the vehicle prior to bidding. The vehicle is located in South-Carolina (ZIP Code: 29650). If you are unable to come see it, you can hire an independent inspection service to check it out for you. This is s 30 year old VW. There might be signs of wear and tear that do not show up in the pictures. As much as I try to represent my Westy's condition as accurately as possible with a detailed description and pictures, my interpretation and opinion of the vehicle may vary from yours.