- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Thing
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: Convertible
- Year: 1974
- Mileage: 24,500
- VIN: 1842468317
- Color: Yellow
- Engine size: 1915cc
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1974 Volkswagen Thing
1974 VW The Thing Type 181
This 1974 Thing was originally purchased in Tucson, Arizona and has spent its life there until being moved to sunny southern California in 2014 to undergo a complete pan off restoration before being returned to Arizona. The car is in excellent condition with less than 25,000 original, documented miles on the odometer. Included are all service records, original owner’s manual and sales literature.
The restoration included the following:
1. Media blasted pan and coating with Zero Rust paint before being finished in PPG single stage black.
2. New front disc brakes, master cylinder and steel braided brake lines. Rear brakes rebuilt with new wheel cylinders.
3. New wheel bearings, tie rods, steering stabilizer and steering box installed.
4. All rubber hoses, gaskets and cables (except heater) were replaced.
5. New gas tank, sending unit and fuel system hoses installed.
6. New 15” tires, Mag style wheels and KYB shocks installed.
7. Front and rear bumpers powder coated in gloss black.
8. Fiberglass removable roof painted gloss black outside, flat black inside. Vinyl black soft top included also. Soft top attaches to black “show bars”.
9. Mech free AM/FM radio and digital media player installed with new front speakers and period correct antenna.
10.New NOS rear view mirror installed.
11.“Duck Board” floor boards front, back and on cargo shelf.
12.Extensive engine improvements including: rebuilt to 1915 cc with no machining required, external oil cooler, larger heads, scat cam, dual 32 carburetors w/ reusable filters, Facet electric fuel pump, CB Performance electronic ignition, coil and distributor, EMPI dual thru the bumper exhaust.
All original equipment items remove for upgrade have been retained and go with the vehicle, together with a few new parts.
Selling due to the inability of some family members to master the art of driving a vehicle with a manual transmission.
Please contact me should you have any questions, this Thing will not disappoint you!