1974 Volkswagen The THING Type 181
- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Other
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: Base
- Year: 1974
- Mileage: 24,500
- VIN: 1842468317
- Color: Yellow
- Engine size: 1915 cc
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1974 Volkswagen Other
1974 VW Thing Type 181
This 1974 Thing was originally purchased in Tucson, Arizona and has spent its life there until being moved to sunny southern California in 2014 to undergo a complete pan off restoration before returning to Arizona. The car is in excellent condition with less than 25,000 original, documented miles on the odometer. Included are all service records, original owner’s manual and sales literature. The restoration included the following:
1. Media blasted pan and coating with Zero Rust paint before being finished in PPG single stage black.
2. New front disc brakes, master cylinder and steel braided brake lines. Rear brakes rebuilt with new wheel cylinders.
3. New wheel bearings, tie rods, steering stabilizer and steering box installed.
4. All rubber hoses, gaskets and cables (except heater) were replaced.
5. New gas tank, sending unit and fuel system hoses installed.
6. New tires. Mag style wheels and KYB shocks installed.
7. Front and rear bumpers powder coated in gloss black.
8. Fiberglass removable roof painted gloss black outside, flat black inside. Vinyl black soft topincluded. Soft top attaches to black “show bars”.
9. Mech free AM/FM radio and digital media player installed with new front speaker and period correct antenna.
10. NOS rearview mirror installed.
11. “Duck Board” floor boards front, back and on cargo shelf.
12. Extensive engine improvements including: rebuilt to 1915 cc with no machining required, external oil cooler, larger heads, Scat cam, dual 32 carburetors w/ reusable filters, Facet electric fuel pump, CB Performance electronic ignition, coil and distributer, EMPI dual thru the bumper exhaust.
Please contact me for further information/additional photographs.