1980 Volkswagen Caddy Pickup clean, prior restoration, needs tlc. Diesel
Price: US $3,000.00 Item location: Tempe, Arizona, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Rabbit
- Year: 1980
- Mileage: 4,644
- VIN: AZ-296299
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1980 Volkswagen RabbitSadly I no longer have room to keep this beautiful survivor in the garage, so I am letting it go to a new home.
I bought this in 2012, it was restored back in the 90's with a great paint job and a custom 20 gallon aluminum diesel tank. The engine was replaced with a newer 1.6 with the better fuel pump.
Since purchasing I did the following items/upgrades:
- Front brake cylinders are from a 16valve sirocco (it stops very easily), additionally rotors are too.
- New suspension all the way around.
- BBS rims with new tires (tires bought last year and less than 50 miles on them).
- I replaced the stock exhaust with a header (visible in some of the videos), I still have the original exhaust manifold (very heavy).
- TONS of new parts, I have a new alternator (does not need it), tons of new gaskets, a new oil pan (currently the gasket leaks and since cheap, I bought a new one for the cleanliness factor).
- Seats are new leather ones, I used a Recaro adapter so it is professionally installed, not rigged up.
- Replaced the windows with the vented ones, rubber is GREAT!
- Newer rear turn signals (the old ones were faded).
Mechanically the VW drives well, keep in mind it is a 1980. It can do 65 on the freeway, I was surprised, I guess that is the newer 1.6.
It does need the following:
- AC - the system is there, but does not work, I did not get around to trouble shooting that.
- Header - the header I got rubs against the body at the collector, I think this could be adjusted, or a different header might be worth it. IT drivers fine, but you'll hear it when you downshift, and especially if you go in reverse. I still have the original exhaust if you wanted to convert back.
- Hood release cable just broke yesterday, I used a pair of pliers to trigger it.
- Dashboard is SEVERELY cracked, I bought the cap as shown.
- Gauge reads 4644.7 miles, but I imagine this is 104644.
The paint is older and I am not sure the type of clear coat, but some bird droppings did eat into it a little as shown. I would recommend a re-spray to look really good. The body is in awesome condition though, clearly one of the nicest I have seen.
The truck runs great, I will guarantee it will pass AZ emissions, the only time I ever had a problem was when someone thought it needed a catalytic converter, I showed them the sticker indicating it was NON-CATALYST year and they immediately passed me.
Here are some additional videos to show the cleanliness of the vehicle:
If you are local and want to come by and see it, please let me know, I gladly offer that!
Call me if you have any questions: 480-430-6463