Volkswagen Cabriolet: White Top over Blue Paint, 5-speed
- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Cabrio
- Type: Convertible
- Year: 1988
- Mileage: 166,151
- VIN: WVWCA0157JK023589
- Color: Blue
- Engine size: 1.8 l gas naturally aspirate 8V
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Power options: Air Conditioning
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: FWD
- Interior color: Gray
- Options: Cassette Player, Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1988 Volkswagen Cabrio
FOR SALE: 1988 VW CABRIOLET
We purchased this Cabriolet on eBay almost 2 years ago and have a lot of fun in it. However, it is sitting unused in Ogden, Utah and we’re in South Carolina getting ready to build a house, thus the decision to sell this fun little VW.
I bought this on an eBay auction for about $1,600 from an eBay’r in Denver, CO. They reported that it had been in storage for some time and decided to sell it. It about shook me to death while driving it to Ogden so I promptly replaced the front struts, all 4 tires and rims, and one rear wheel bearing. I do still have the original 13” steel rims if wanted as a part of this auction. Last summer, while trying to replace the cracked exhaust manifold, I broke a head stud and decided to at least do a valve job then decided to go through the entire engine while it was a good time to do so.
The rebuild included:
· Grind all valves/seats and replaced all exhaust valves & guides to standard specs.
· Resurfaced head with 0.010” deep cut.
· Installed Techtonics 268 Degree cam and timing belt.
· Installed VW Fox throttle body with 52mm secondary which included adapting the linkage and port matching the intake manifold for full flow.
· Installed used late model dual-outlet, large bore 8-valve exhaust manifold.
· Installed Techtonics matching down pipe and new catalyst.
· Installed new Techtonics 2-1/4” cat-back exhaust system (nice sound!)
· Block bored “0.020 over (to 81.5mm) due to pitting found during honing.
· Installed new Techtonics 9:1, 81.5mm pistons and rings. (Estimated C/R, 10:1 with 0.010” head resurfacing)
· Crankshaft was polished to standard bearing insert specifications.
· Installed all new rod and main bearings with6-piece OEMno. 3 (center) main bearing.
· Installed new oil pump, water pump and thermostat.
· Installed rebuilt ’88 GTi transmission with adapter for back-up light switch.
· Installed new 16V clutch pressure plate and disc to match GTI transmission.
· Replaced left (drivers side) outboard CV joint.
I may have missed some of the “nuts & bolts” of the rebuild but this generally summarizes the work.
While moving the engine into position to lower into the engine bay, the engine and lift shifted suddenly and brushed against the left front of the car and left a scratch that is not easily noticed, but repairable just the same. Other than some chipping of the clearcoat above the front windshield, the paint job is in very good condition.
We have put about 2000 miles on the car since the rebuild and have recently done its first oil change with Castrol Syntec full synthetic oil. We did have some overheating issues but I diagnosed this to a bad temperature switch on the radiator which was replaced last week. The only other known issue is possibly a bad oil pressure sending unit which pegs off scale for some reason. I know the oil pressure isn’t going that high otherwise it would blow out the oil filter which I’ve had happen to me on another VW.
The top and headliner is in excellent condition. The top cover is included and is in good condition. Nice cold AC works great. Radio antenna is broken/missing.
I have provided a description of the car as I know it now. However, if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask. Do not assume anything. Please know that the parts I’ve described are new where I’ve indicated so. I did the rebuild work myself as I have done on at least a 20 other VW engines, both air cooled and water cooled. I can not extend warranty beyond what I describe above. As such, this should be considered an “as-is, where is” auction. The successful bidder should assume all responsibility for shipment. Since I am in SC now, I will be depending on other family members in Utah to assist with loading and/or delivery.
Thanks for looking and bid often and bid high!