1971 VW Camper Bus Westfalia "Weekender Edition" in Neptune Blue and White
- Condition: Used
- Make: Volkswagen
- Model: Bus/Vanagon
- Year: 1971
- Mileage: 59,500
- Color: Neptune blue
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1971 Volkswagen Bus/Vanagon
1971 VW Camper Bus Westfalia "Weekender Edition"
Rare Original Tags by State of California Housing And Community Development
This is a VERY BEAUTIFUL VW Camper Bus manufactured by Westfalia Werke AG in Germany in 1971. Color combination is Neptune Blue and White. It is a very original VW Camper. Finest materials were used. See all the details in the photos. It also has a lot of hard to find and rare original features such as the original curtains (mustard yellow and brown), the camper stool, and Rare Original Tags by State of California Housing And Community Development as well as all Westfalia Tags. Title is clear. All DMV fees paid till February 2017.
I put a lot of time and too much money into this project that I was planning to keep for myself. Life happens, I need the money and I am willing to pass this project on. I am asking $27,900, but I would consider reasonable offers.
Please see all photos and videos for details.
Please CONTACT ME FOR ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS AND PICTURES. I HAVE OVER 60 HIGHQUALITYPHOTOS AVAILABLE.
In the following description I am trying to list most of the work that was done. I am trying to describe the vehicle as good and detailed as I can. This is a vintage vehicle "Sold AS IS". Please inspect the vehicle prior to purchase.
- Painted in Neptune blue (L50K) and white. The paint job was done well. It looks very original (not too glossy).
- Rims and bumpers painted in white.
- New original VW emblem was purchased and installed. It is the real original emblem with a black spot in the center. These are expensive ($200) and hard to find.
- New chrome mirrors installed.
- New chrome antenna installed.
- New chrome hub caps installed.
- New chrome parts of lights and blinkers installed.
- New windshield wiper arms installed.
- New windshield blades installed.
- New window seals and other waterstrips installed (about $1000 just for original materials)
- Original Westfalia Werke tag as well as special tag from State of California Housing And Community Development which might allows you to have a party in the bus.
The interior of the bus is very originally restored by a professional upholsterer using high quality materials (Please see detailed photos). Everything looks almost exactly as it used to be when this car was build. Maybe better…
- Carpet: A high quality grey carpet was used in front and center of this bus. The edges are nicely finished with a leather trim.
- Panels: All panels are very nicely done in leather. The panels in the center and the kick panels in the front match the leather of the camper upholstery (mustard brownish). The door panels in the front right and left match the white leather of the front seats.
- Headliner: The headliner was done originally. Two thirds in the rear and center are made of wood. One third in the front was was done in white leather matching the front seats and panels. It is not easy to install the headliner right…
- Closet cabinet wood refurbished, original handles, knobs and cabinet edging trim were purchased from Wolfsburg West. Both doors are functioning well. The interior of the closet units was done very nicely with the same carpet that was used for the floor.
- Closet cabinet above bed refurbished.
- Sink cabinet wood refurbished, original handles from Wolfsburg West used. 100% complete with original ice box. Vent tube and vent tube cap were restored. Small side tables on both sides are fully functional.
- Table refurbished. It goes up and down nicely and is 100% functional. It's kept original.
- Camper seat wood was refurbished. It has a lot of extra storage space underneath the seat. There is a second storage space in the back of the seat which can be reached from above. Perfect to store newspapers, magazine, or tablets…This compartment was nicely done with carpet.
- Small Camper stool nicely restored.
- Z Bed wood refurbished. It has the original Westfalia sticker on the bottom left corner. It has a storage compartment underneath the bench. The metal part of the compartment are covered with black carpet. Z Bed is fully functionally and folds down to a good sized bed. Uph
- Cushions of the seat, stool, two bench cushions, trunk cushions as well as spare tire cover were restored by a professional upholsterer using high quality materials.The color almost perfectly matches the original mustard yellowish upholstery color. Materials such as zippers, knobs, air release holes are probably better than the factory one when the bus was built in Germany in 1971. Front seat upholstery in really nice thick white leather.
- Center camper windows are fully functional and open and close nicely. Knobs were replaced with brand new original knobs from Wolfsburg West
- Small rear vent window was replaced with refurbished window and is fully functional now. (very hard to find)
- The original 71 Westfalia camper curtains in brown and mustard yellow are really hard to find. I found a person in Canada who was able to provide the original fabric and knobs. Front curtain is one peace and covers windshield and right and left front window. Rear window has a two peace sliding curtain system. Curtains on the left side of bus are 4 peaces. On the right side, there is one curtain behind the cabinet and one for the sliding door.
Engine runs nicely and transmission shifts smoothy.
Engine was completely cleaned and tuned up.
Transmission fluid and oil changed.
New push up tubes installed.
Fuel lines and other tubes replaced.
New Air filter installed.
New carburetor installed.
New battery installed.
New chrome parts installed.
New nice chrome muffler installed.
New brake hoses installed front and rear.
New break caliper installed front right and left.
New brake pads installed front right and left.
All brakes were serviced and adjusted.
Rear transaxles rebuilt.
New bearings installed.
- Electric was rewired.
- New relays and fuses installed.New gaskets, light bulbs for lights…
- New windshield wiper engine installed.
- The bus has an original radio installed, but not connected and there are no speakers. There are so many buses with aftermarket radios and speakers all over the cabinets that take away from the originality of the bus. It is really easy to install speakers into this bus. I thought it is the best to leave it up to the new owner how he or she would like to have the entertainment set up.
- New ignition switch installed.
- Left rear lights turns off sporadically.
- Horn needs to be installed.
- All locks were redone by a professional locksmith. One set of keys works for the ignition, the other set of keys works for the door right and left, the trunk door, and the sliding door.
Roof Rack (optional)
I have a really nice Westfalia roof rack that compliments this bus a lot. You can buy optional with this bus.
Kids Canopy (included)
I bought this bus with the original and hard to find kids canopy. (See sample picture). My upholsters is currently working on this part and I will upload a picture once I have it. He is using the same leather that he used for the cushions.
Facts about this car
- The 1971 Volkswagen Type 2 is the last year of the T2a series (68-71), which most enthusiast desire over the T2b series, which was built from 1972 to 1979. However, the 71 is the first year that featured powered front disc brakes, which makes an amazing difference in stopping the bus. These facts make the 1971 models especially valuable within the type 2 series.
- I have the bus safely stored in a underground parking garage.
It took uncountable hours to find all the parts and to manage all the work. It is close to where I wanted it to be. However, this is a vintage vehicle. Please be aware that all pre-owned vehicles, regardless of age, mileage or manufacturer are subject to cosmetic wear and mechanical failure.
I encourage the buyer to have a personalinspection completed prior to buying to help ensure the satisfaction. Third party inspections are to take place prior to a buying on this vehicle.
Vehicle is sold "AS IS" and with no warranties expressed or implied. NO RETURNS. I assume no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any statements about this vehicle.
Serious buyers only. Do not contact me if you are not seriously interested and funded to buy this car