02/1984 VW Rabbit GTi Custom Built Engine, Restoration project, Rust Free

Price: US $2,500.00 Item location: Kenosha, Wisconsin, United States
  • Condition: Used
  • Make: Volkswagen
  • Model: Rabbit
  • Type: 2 Dr Hatchback
  • Trim: GTi
  • Year: 1984
  • Mileage: 113,000
  • VIN: 1VWDC0176EV075166
  • Color: Black
  • Engine size: 1.8L
  • Number of cylinders: 4
  • Fuel: Gasoline
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Drive type: 5 sp
  • Interior color: Blue
  • Vehicle Title: Clear
  • Want to buy? Contact seller!
Description:

1984 Volkswagen Rabbit

After several years of sitting in my garage, I've decided to part with my beloved Rabbit. Born an original GTi, this car has both front and rear anti sway bars equipped from the factory. The original engine was rated at 90hp in 1984. I found this car to be fun, but under powered. So, in 2000, I pulled the motor and built it from the ground up. Let me tell you what I did:
The block went to the machine shop and was baked clean, honed, and new bearings were installed for the intermediate shaft. New freeze plug were installed, too.
Then the fun begins! I bought higher compression pistons, for a digifant engine, rated at 9.9:1 compression. Installed them, with new bearings. Now, on to my favorite part. The solid lifter cylinder head was tossed, being equipped with tiny valves. I went big! I rebuilt a hydro head off of a wvw converible, with new 40 and 33mm valves, guides, and seals. New air shrouded mechanical injectors, seals, and the ports that hold the injectors in place. But, that wasn't enough! I put an Autotech sport hydro camshaft in it, and to maximize airflow, I also port matched intake and exhaust. Still haven't finished. Then, I added a larger throttle body from a 1991 Jetta, which I also matched to the manifold, and added a Tri Y (4 to 2 to 1) header with a 2in mandrel bent exhaust system. I think that was it, for the engine. This engine went from a 5,500 rpm rev power limit to well over 7,000 rpm and still pulling. It will instigate tire chirps in 3rd gear. Made my buddies 9-3 a saab story!
Brakes were upgraded. I added 10.4" brakes from a 1989 GLi, front and rear discs. Replaced the master cylinder, flushed system, filled with DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. In the process of upgrading the brakes, I used the front struts, minus 1 coil, with the rabbit mounts up top. Still needs an alignment on all four corners. I put a decent set of recaros from a 1992 GTi up front.
As you can see, in the pictures, all the glass is pulled. Being a desert car, all the rubber was trashed. It's in the car, but needs replacing. The windshield was replaced in 1998. The guy who did it, did a half assed job, and the metal around the bottom of the glass had rusted. I sand blasted and filled with metal filler. A pillars are solid and rust free. Rear wheel arches are also solid and rust free. We had a bunch of small dents and scratches, along with the majority of the paint being sun damaged. I worked out a bunch of spots before I got sick. It still needs some work. I have many extra parts for this project.
I have a 2.0L 16v block. These make great builders because they have squirters for the bottom of the pistons to cool them. I have a clipper kit from a convertible, core support with round headlights, big bumpers, and misc stuff I can't remember. All up for grabs with car.