1980 triumph tr7 v8 tr8
Price: - Item location: Tenants Harbor, Maine, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Triumph
- Model: Other
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: Base
- Year: 1980
- Mileage: 14141
- VIN: TP2DJ8AT202658
- Color: Red
- Engine size: 3.9 V8
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tan
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1980 Triumph Other BaseA running and driving project car. Pulled it out of the garage from winter storage and it fired right up after a battery charge.
- ENGINE: 3.9 (with a cam and 4bbl setup) Rover V8 - This has the TR8 oil pan, TR8 timing cover, an upgraded alternator with the proper bracket, TR8 subframe, engine brackets, motor mounts etc. Mallory distributor. Last year, I had the engine pulled and the oil pan gasket replaced. NO OIL LEAKS. Also, I had carb work done. It still needs to be adjusted. When warm, it can be a hard starter. There is no choke on the 4bbl setup.I have been in touch with the previous owner who had the engine built and he informed me that he felt he did not put more than 20k miles on the car. I have no way of proving that.
- Drive-line: 5 speed transmission with a center-force clutch (stainless clutch line installed last year) with all of the hard to find TR8 bits. Custom driveshaft with serviceable joints mated to a Ford 8 inch rear end with a LSD (NOTE: NO PARKING BRAKE) and rear disc brakes. This rear end was narrowed and made to fit into the car (not the other way around). The rear came from a Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe. Not sure how accurate the speedometer is with the different rear end and bigger wheels. I think it is around 5 mph off, but I am not 100% sure. The odometer does not go up to or over 100k miles.
- Fuel System: It has a factory FI tank and an electric fuel pump. Last year, I had the tank removed and professionally coated. The tank was also painted. At the time, I had a new sending unit put in, however, the fuel gauge is no longer displaying a fuel level.
- Suspension: Adjustable coil-overs up front and new shocks/struts all the way around. Strut tower brace.
- Brakes: As stated earlier, 4 wheel disc brakes. Upgraded big front brakes from Ted in Ohio, and the factory rear discs on the ford rear end. Last year the entire system was flushed and has new fluid. The bolt pattern for the car is stock.
- Cooling: Aluminum radiator sitting in a TR8 radiator cage with an electric fan. It works and comes on when it reaches the required temperature. Proper coolant tank.
- Exhaust: Dual exhaust with headers. Sounds fantastic.
- Electrical: Clock does not work, the tachometer is a genuine TR8 tach, but it does suffer from the common sticky tach issue (works, but takes a few seconds).Tempurature gauge sometimes reads, volt gauge works. Aftermarket radio does not work. This was an A/C car, no A/C components in the car. Blinkers work, hazards do not. One blinker indicator light on the dash is out (left side). No heat as well. Wipers work. Headlights no longer pop up. Reverse light switch needs to be adjusted. Coolant light on the dash stays on (plenty of coolant in the vehicle and if you depend on these lights coming on before you check your fluids when owning a triumph, good luck!). There is an electrical drain somewhere. Horn works. Brake lights work.
- Steering: Manual (as it should be with these cars).
- Wheels:Made in England
- Interior: Good Condition. No dash cracks. As stated, factory TR8 tach. Seats and door panels are nice. Tear in drives seat (the backrest covers this tear; with the seat fully forward and the backrest extended all the way back, it is noticed).
- Top: Needs to be replaced
- Body: As shown in the photos, the paint will buff up nicely. It needs work as shown in the photos. It has its small rust spots. Please see the photos. There is some rust around the windshield. The hood latch works, but you have to push the "pull latch" back in when you want to close the hood.
*. * MAINE DOES NOT ISSUE TITLES FOR VEHICLES OVER A CERTAIN AGE. I WILL WRITE A BILL OF SALE AND INCLUDE THE MASS TITLE THAT IS IN THE PREVIOUS OWNERS NAME WITH THE PREVIOUS OWNERS SIGNATURE (I HAVE NOT SIGNED IT).*. *
$500 non-refundable deposit due within the first 24 hours. I will NOT release the car until I have the money in full and everything clears. I prefer cash for the rest. You pick up and or take care of shipping. Of course, vehicle is sold as is where is.