Original 1973 Triumph Stag - manual w/ overdrive transmission.
Price: - Item location: Millburn, New Jersey, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Triumph
- Model: Other
- Type: Convertible
- Year: 1973
- Mileage: 69,241
- VIN: LE 23837 U0
- Color: Sienna Brown
- Engine size: Original Triumph 3.0L V8
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Power options: Power Windows
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual w/ Overdrive
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tan
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1973 Triumph OtherI'm selling my 1973 Triumph Stag. It has the desirable manual with overdrive drivetrain. All mechanical functions are in working order, and it has both hard and soft tops in good shape. A collector could restore with exterior painting and interior touch ups or it can be used as is.
A truly rare car (only around 2,600 came to the States, likely less than a few hundred survive) and it really turns heads, especially when people hear that lovely V8 sound. Drop the top and soak up the attention!
If you know about these cars you know all the vulnerable areas, but the factory must have had a good day when this one rolled off the line as it has survived very well for a 45 year old car. I am the third owner of this car and I've had it since 2012.
It seems that it was originally purchased by an American GI while stationed in the UK and shipped back to the US upon his return. There are original service records from when it was first purchased, and I have service records going back for about 10 years.
Things that will make you smile about this car:
- that original Triumph V8 sound!- the motor is in very good shape, no leaking fluids and no evidence of past overheating problems
- original gearbox and overdrive, which works in 3rd and 4th as it's supposed to
- the car runs cool, even on long highway trips
- original hard top included, in good condition and still sits squarely on the car
- it's Federal Spec but has UK quarter lights - a nice little oddity
- almost entirely rust free (just a surface bubble or two)- wears the original Sienna Brown paint- all the warning cluster lights work except the choke light (switch not fitted to the cable)- new choke cable
- has electronic ignition
- serviced by Triumph Rescue in Bally, PA, in November 2017 when they installed:
- new German timing chains (the good ones sold by LDPart) - new StagWeber header tank
- new ball joints
- new brake hoses
- new aftermarket seat belts fitted - new fluids and oil filter
Because it hasn't been a trailer queen, the car has a few minor issues:
- the paint is original but has areas of cracking, hazing, and an overall patina- there are a few small surface scratches here and there, and some small dents on the driver's side door and front fenders- interior is a little worn; the carpets are missing and the parcel shelf is dangling
- there is a narrow surface stain down the side just behind the driver's door due to water dripping from a pipe in the roof of the garage- the exhaust sounds a bit louder than stock, may be a small hole somewhere or might just be the pipes (which are not original)
- one rubber overrider is missing from rear bumper (replacement part included in sale)
- there is some pitting on the chrome of the front bumper
- there's a second lock on the driver's door which I've never used and the prior owner couldn't explain- reversing lights stopped coming on about a year ago- rear license plate light not working
- the rear-end whines above 50mph. This is a classic Stag issue, and pretty typical of older British cars, but will need to be looked at.- the clock doesn't work
This is a 45 year old car being sold as-is, where is. Clean title in hand, ready to sign over to you. The car is mechanically sound and can be driven away if you're feeling adventurous. I can also work with your shipping company.
Walk-around video here:https://youtu.be/MAyLl_23nCUDriving video here:https://youtu.be/vm6BBz5kUYUCold-start and a show-me of all the dents & dings:https://youtu.be/CmwGU1fd2h8
Thanks for looking! Feel free to ask any questions and I'll respond within a day. I also have more pictures available for the asking.
If you've been thinking about adding a Stag to your collection, this one is a great specimen. A solid, unmolested, original car that will be an immediate hit at your local meetup, and that you can turn into a real show winner with a little LTC. I'll be sorry to see her go, I've had 6 wonderful years of fun and with college looming for the kiddos I have to make some grown-up choices.