1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 with Overdrive
Price: US $6,900.00 Item location: Westlake Village, California, United States
- Make: Triumph
- Model: Spitfire
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: 1500
- Year: 1976
- Mileage: 71,000
- VIN: FM43319U
- Color: Blue
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tan
- Drive side: Left-hand drive
- Options: Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500This is my fun 1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500. The engine starts and runs beautifully at all speeds and pulls strong in all gears. It has the popular OVERDRIVE feature that essentially acts as a 5th gear and allows the car to run at freeway speeds without maxing out the engine. Brakes and clutch in great shape.
Here's a video of the engine starting and revving:
I'm not sure whether the mileage is original. I have put over $ 8,000 into the car in the last two years. It has a new wood dash with LED lights, rebuilt transmission and differential, new alternator andstarter, battery, master brake cylinder and too many other things to list. I have receipts for all work done.
Allgauges, turn signal indicators, exterior and interior lights, wipers, air flow controls, and seats adjustments work as they should. Except for the fuel gauge, which is unreliable. Car has popular Minatoralloy wheels and tire tread is in great shape,
Car comes with a tonneau cover and an indoor full car cover.The vinyl top is relatively new and flawless. It operates perfectly as well. Windows both operatefine.
Like all British cars, there are some issues, which is why it's priced as it is. Here they are:
1. Despite the transmission rebuild, there is a whirring noise under the gearshift knob that gets louder as your speed increases, when the clutch is engaged. Second gear is sometimes rough to shift into.
2. My mechanic says the rear axle connection to the differential needs work - you can sometimes hear a clunking when the car moves into a drive gear.
neither of the above are dangerous or make the car undriveable (or less fun)
3. The paint has a chip in the rear right fender (see picture) and a few scratches elsewhere, but overall it's a great French Blue color.
4. The top of the gearshift knob is loose and should be replaced.
This car has the stronger British version of the engine with more bhp and torque and will probably NOT PASS CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS. If you choose to register the car in California, you are responsible for getting it through the Smog certification.
Happy to answer any questions and help get the car onto a transport for shipment.