1980 Triumph TR7 Buick V6 Customized Almost Everything New
- Condition: Used
- Make: Triumph
- Model: TR7
- SubModel: Wedge
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: Convertible
- Year: 1980
- Mileage: 1,000
- Color: Orange
- Engine size: Buick V6
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: CD Player, Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1980 Triumph TR7 Wedge
1980 Triumph TR7
Buick V6 Conversion
This Triumph TR7 is a show winner and a very fine example of the V6 conversion. It started as a stock RUST FREE TR7. No body work was done. Although I'd like to say restored, it would be more appropriate to say reconditioned and customized. I felt since the paint and body was so nice as original, I left it. While its not perfect, it has bragging rights as is and get much attention at car shows. It was buffed and waxed but any original scratches and dings were left. And you'll have to look hard to find them. This project has taken me over 7 years to get it where it is and like most cars built to this extreme spent way more then I'll get back. Here are the details (I'm sure I'll miss some):
Engine Compartment & Drivetrain:
- Repainted and detailed
- John's V6 conversion kit
- Rebuilt Buick 3.8L V6 231cuin motor (I believe mid 80's non-turbo Regal) with New headers, Holley 450 and automatic choke, alternator, lightweight starter, hoses, plugs, sensors, etc. Was rebuilt when purchased with no paperwork but mostly stock.
- Rebuild 200R4 automatic transmission
- Reconditioned purple torque converter 65-15g-10
- New custom balanced driveshaft and u-joints
- MSD 6AL Ignition control and MSD Blaster 2 coil
- MSD billet distributor and MSD 8mm Heli-core wire kit.
- Xtreme output lightweight starter
- Dual electric fans with automatic temperature sensor and manual over-ride switch.
- Reconditioned Radiator with extra core.
- New water pump and thermostat
- All new gaskets, no leaks
Suspension & Brakes:
- Front disc brake conversion with new calipers, rotors, pads, braided hoses, proportion valve. Rear brakes freshly done too.
- New Front struts, springs, poly bushings, front sway bar & poly kit, Anti-dive kit, bunch of misc. replacement/upgrade parts.
- Rear shocks, sway bar & poly kit, poly bushings.
- 4 new tire, Aluminum rims and new lugs.
- Gas tank flushed, new gas lines, sending unit and electric fuel pump.
- Headers, new real dual exhaust with X pipe and chrome hot rod side pipes.
- Battery relocated to trunk, main disconnect
- Added newer style fuse boxes. One in trunk and one under glove box
- Train air horns hidden under front fender with compressor mounted in trunk. If the standard weak British horn doesn't get respect, then blast them with a big bite.
- Detailed trunk with lots of goodies and hidden compartment. No space for spare tire!
- New carpet with sound insulation, new seats
- New custom interior panels done in black leather like vinyl with orange stitching
- Leather wrapped steering wheel with orange stitching
- Reconditioned factory TR8 speedo and tach. Tach was adjusted for conversion.
- All other stock gauges where replaced with custom blue LED gauges including Clock, Oil Temp, Voltage, Water Temp, Fuel, Oil Pressure, Vacuum and Air/Fuel. All gauges light up and work.
- Custom panel with auxillary gauges, 5 LED switches, 2 Push buttons, USB, Charger and stock Hazard switch.
- Double DIN entertainment system with radio, CD/DVD, GPS, Bluetooth, USB, Rear backup camera. Custom cut in speakers front, rear and subwoofer in trunk. Amp. Electric antenna
- Custom shifter fit into stock shifter console with leather boot.
- Racing harness seatbelts,
- LED floor and dash lighting
- Original paint, no rust!
- Rear spoiler painted to match exterior
- New sport mirrors
- 70's style stock graphics package
- Perfect front and back bumpers
- Front spoiler
- New German made cloth top with inside liner. Not a cheap repro style but top of the line. Leather boot to cover back when top is down. Top is manual.
- Working factory stock running lamps
- LED blue accent lighting hidden behind hood louvers and front grille. Switch from interior switch
- All lights and flip up headlights work as they should
- Undercoated wheel wheels
- Undercarriage degreased, power washed and painted
Ok so now the disclosures. Yes I will list everything I can think of that would bring this to the next level. Being picky here:
Things to do and comments:
- The exhaust looks great and sounds perfect but it sits low enough that you have to watch for big bumps and curb clearances. I worry too much about that so I'd go back to pipes out the rear.
- Although everything was replaced on the brakes and disc brakes added to the front I feel you need to press the brake peddle firmly for a fast stop. I think a new power master cylinder would wake the braking up.
- The motor is too stock for me. I'd like to beef up the internals and heads to give it a real punch. It does ok but not as fast as I would expect for power/weight ratio. A Gran National turbo motor would make this the ultimate surprise!
- Radio has a wiring issue (my mistake) I routed the speaker wires on the same side next to the amp and battery power wires. This creates radio noise. Also while the radio is nice and has many functions I feel its cheap (I got what I paid for). The tuner doesn't pick up as many stations as I'd like. I have the GPS micro chip but haven't installed the maps.
- Rear trunk needs a new strut to keep it open. I use a stick.
- No climate controls. The heating system was sacrificed for the bigger radio and custom panels. Would drive this in the winter anyways.