1975 Toyota Pickup Hilux 4x4 Short Bed RN20 20R 4 Cylinder 5 Speed Manual
Price: - Item location: Panguitch, Utah, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Toyota
- Model: Hilux
- Type: Standard Cab Pickup
- Year: 1975
- Mileage: 173547
- VIN: RN23010765
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: 4WD
- Vehicle Title: Clean Want to buy? Contact seller!
1975 Toyota Hilux
- Toyota did not make a 4x4 pickup until 1979 but previous to this there were a few companies that would buy the Toyota pickups new, do a 4x4 conversion and then sell them to the consumer. Every time I drive this I have people give me a thumbs up. I drive it often and the last time I drove it to a hiking trailhead a European Tourist wanted to take pictures of it. And a guy in a Landcruiser talked my ear off about Toyotas and wanted to know all about. It truly is a unique truck.
- Anyway, I'm not sure of the conversion company but this truck is a survivor and a rare example of people wanting 4x4 Toyota mini trucks in the mid-70s. Not a lot of these were made and few still survive. It has a nice patina paint from 45 years of age and a few dents and dings but is in great shape for a 1975 pickup. The truck spent it's entire life in Southern California until recently. The previous owner bought it from someone who had it in storage for 16 years and he brought it back to life. About six months ago that owner replaced the radiator, water pump and head gasket. Hoses and belts also replaced. The truck has a Weber 32/36 Carburetor with the manual choke and a header which gives it a nice growl. It has a 4x4 conversion using a Dana 30 front axle and a Dana 20 transfer case. It has a suspension lift on it, old school turbine rims, a roll bar and new 31" Toyo Open Country Tires. It also has new carpet. The seats and steering wheel are from a classic Toyota Celica. The drivers seat is worn out on the seat part and could use a reapollster job. The front clip has been painted with color matched spray paint and is okay. The previous owner spray painted the bed and it has since been touched up by the current owner. The fuel Gauge does not work but a new fuel gauge is included in the sale.
- All lights work, fan works, wipers work, horn works. However, the windshield washer could use some new hoses. And you have to manually turn the signals off after a turn. It could use a new coolant/washer fluid reservoir but it still functions. There are also 3 aftermarket gauges at the bottom of the center console that displays, Amps, Temp and Oil Pressure. All the glass is good and no cracks in the windshield. It could use a new windshield seal though. I'm trying to be as honest as possible but I'm sure there are a few small things I am forgetting. Despite this the truck still runs like a little Chi-Ha Tank.
- Overall condition of the truck is good for it's age but there are some small dents and dings over the truck body. It is not perfect but a recent polish and shine really brought the old school Suntan Yellow paint job out. There are a few small surface rust spots and the worst spot is on the drivers side front fender (see picture). But this is a mostly rust-free Southern California truck.
- The 1975 Hilux would be a great candidate for a restoration because everything is there and it hasn't been hacked up for some V8 Chevy Swap. Or drive it as is. Legendary 20R 4 cylinder 2.2 engine with a 5 speed manual transmission. 4x4 works fine and although you won't win any races in this truck it is mechanically sound. Actual mileage is unknown.I know I'm going to regret selling this Truck but I have way too many projects.