1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Price: US $4,250.00 Item location: Redondo Beach, California, United States
  • Condition: Used
  • Make: Toyota
  • Model: MR2
  • Type: Coupe
  • Trim: Turbo
  • Year: 1991
  • Mileage: 171,771
  • VIN: JT2SW22N6M0022644
  • Color: Red
  • Engine size: 2.0 Liter
  • Number of cylinders: 4
  • Power options: Power Mirrors, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Windows
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Drive type: RWD
  • Interior color: Black/Blue
  • Safety options: Anti-Lock Brakes, Driver Airbag
  • Vehicle Title: Clear
  • Want to buy? Contact seller!
Description:

1991 Toyota MR2

This was originally an Iowa car (does not have cold weather package) but has spent most of its life in Northern California. I bought it in December 2012 and it's been my daily driver ever since. I recently purchased another 2-seater and it's time to let this beauty go.
I have records of all the service history, mods, and wear & tear items (see photos). I even have the original delivery checklist from the dealer in Cedar Rapids! The previous owners did cosmetic upgrades to the 1998 JDM spec including:
  • Rear Carbon Fiber Wing (which I painted over to match the body)
  • 1993 Tail Lights
  • Solid Front Moldings
  • Clear Corner Markers
  • Paint-matched Front Lip
  • Side Fender Markers (blinkers)
Major upgrades under my ownership:
  • Enkei RPF1 wheels | Front: 17x7.5 et38; Rear: 17x8.5 et40 (purchased new)
  • Yokohama S.Drive Tires | Front: 215/40R17; Rear: 235/40R17
  • Koni Yellow Shocks (purchased new)
  • Fujitsubo Legalis R Exhaust (purchased new and imported from Japan)
Other relevant info:
  • Title in hand
  • Excellent condition interior with no rips or any tears
  • No cracks in the dash
  • Outside of the K&N air filter, the engine is stock and idles nicely
  • The new floor mats no longer slip after I installed genuine Toyota floor mat clips in the carpet (it's the gift that keeps on giving)
  • All oil changes were done using Mobil 1 10W-30 with genuine Toyota oil filters (I did use a K&N filter for the first change)
  • New T-Top weather stripping added in 2011
  • "Hose from hell" has been replaced
  • It was repainted to Super Red in 2005 and the was just detailed
  • There used to be holes in the front bumper but they've been filled
  • I do not have the original wheels
  • I do not have the front license plate
  • Registration good until February 2017
What needs attention:
  • The antenna can't be extended due to a broken nylon cable (this is very typical)
  • The trunk cannot be open with the key but the release lever inside works fine
  • A/C - while the engine was out in October of 2014 getting resealed (see photos for details); the R12 gas escaped. The system was converted to R134a using Ester oil and new o-rings, along with a new receiver/dryer. It was fine all summer long but recently a leak developed and I lost the refrigerant. Troubleshooting led me to believe it was the evaporator and/or the high-pressure switch, so both of them were replaced with new units. The system was recharged but there's still a leak. At this point, it's either the condenser or the compressor. So the good news is, I've narrowed it down for you and once you fix it, you'll essentially have a brand new system that'll be good for a long, long time.

On Mar-30-16 at 07:00:59 PDT, seller added the following information:

One more thing: the HVAC control unit was removed a couple years ago and sent to an enthusiast in Reno who replaced the original green lights behind the buttons with blue LEDs. This was also done for the hazard switch so all the lights are nice and bright. It really gives it a modern look.

On Mar-30-16 at 18:08:39 PDT, seller added the following information:

Did I mention the windshield wiper fluid crisis? The previous owner told me the pump in the fluid reservoir was bad and that's why nothing was coming out of the nozzles. I took his word for it and ended up buying a new one, then realized that wasn't the issue. I took off some panels underneath the car and discovered the hose coming off the pump was pinched in between the bumper and passenger side fender. This must've happened when the car was being repainted and the shop just didn't check it. Since removing the bumper and/or fender didn't seem like a fun idea, I ended up cutting the hose in 2 locations and used a jumper to reconnect them.
But there was too much residue in the nozzles and the fluid was shooting all over the place, so I ordered new ones. Now everything's working beautifully.