1963 Studebaker Avanti, needs restoration
Price: - Item location: Glendale, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Studebaker
- Model: Avanti
- Year: 1963
- Mileage: 85,358
- VIN: 63R-1247
- Color: Silver
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Drive type: RWD
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1963 Studebaker AvantiCheck out this nice 1963 Studebaker Avanti that has been partially restored.
My father bought this Avanti about 1975 from a wrecking yard. It had no engine or transmission and was missing many other parts. There is a folder available with resources and receipts for the work that has been done over the years since the acquisition. No history is available for the period preceding the acquisition so it is unknown what happened to the car before it ended up in that wrecking yard. The VIN indicates that it was part of the original factory run in September, 1962 and it was the 246th car off the assembly line.
My father envisioned this beautiful car as an opportunity to create a one of a kind hot rod under the hood to combine with the sharp looks of the Avanti body. No engine or transmission? No problem! That gave him the opportunity to put in an engine and transmission that was a vast improvement over the original Studebaker equipment. So what did he get? He acquired a 1972 Corvette 350ci engine and a GM Turbo 375 transmission and had these installed. Keep in mind this is a newer engine than the car itself, with considerably fewer miles on it than are on the car itself. The GM transmission was chosen over the original Borg-Warner transmission for its ability to handle the torque from the Corvette engine.
That impressive silver paint job? He had the entire body block sanded and then painted with the silver coating originally formulated for Mercedes-McLaren, resulting in a beautiful look sure to catch many eyes on the street. No expense was spared and the receipt is available for your inspection. This paint job needs to be seen up close to believe how good it is.
For health reasons, he is unable to continue the restoration so now you the buyer have the opportunity to finish his vision and have your own unique one of a kind hot rod. This car needs much more work, but it is an attractive proposition for the dedicated restorer with access to the parts needed.
If you are looking for a restoration project with all original Avanti parts, you can stop here: this is likely not the car for you. But if you are interested in a one-off project like this beautiful and unique Avanti, then please read through the notes and give this your consideration. Thank you.
- The Avanti Workshop Manual is available and will be included in this sale.
- The service folder with all work receipts is available for inspection and will be included in this sale.
- Mileage: 85358 miles. Most miles occurred prior to the wrecking yard. Maybe 200 miles since.
- Engine: Chevy 4-bolt 350. Casting number 6268751 on the intake indicates a 350 engine that came out of a 1972 Corvette. The engine was installed with new pistons and new rings. The mileage on this engine is unknown, but it is very likely far fewer than 85k miles. Please keep that in mind in your evaluation.
- Transmission: GM Turbo 375. Automatic.
- Badging: the photos show the front end and the side without the Avanti badges. These badges are available and are stored in the trunk with other parts.
- Licensing: It has been registered as non-operative in California since its acquisition. The title is clear.
- Storage: It is now stored in the garage. It was in the driveway with an outdoor quality car cover that was replaced every few years. The current cover is in excellent condition and will be included with the car.
- There is an electrical short to right rear tail light so the battery has been disconnected. The battery is pretty new.
- Needs air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, and windshield wiper blades and heads.
- Tires were once new, but need inflation or replacement. One tire was replaced so the car could be made rollable.
- Wheels do not match. There is a set of Avanti wheel caps in excellent condition, stored separately from the car.
- Rear positraction-limited slip differential ratio = 3.08. Has new factory parts.
- Front suspension was completely changed to Chevy Camaro
- Valve covers should be replaced as current ones are rusted
- Dash has an aftermarket cassette/radio player installed, as the original radio was missing.
- New aftermarket leather seats, bucket in front.
- New aftermarket carpet (gray)
- New aftermarket black headliner
- Some assorted trim and replacement parts are available with the car.
- Entire car body was block sanded and the silver paint color used was originally formulated for Mercedes-McLaren.
Some of the photos were taken recently. Other photos were taken years ago.
You are welcome to inspect this car before you bid. Please message me to set an appointment. The car is located in Glendale, California.
This car is being sold "as is". No warranty is written or implied. Buyer assumes all responsibility and expense for pickup, towing and shipping. The car is rollable so it can be pushed down the driveway for loading onto a flatbed tow truck. For those who remember this auction last year, this was a showstopper issue that is now fixed.
A good faith deposit of $1000 via Paypal will be required at the close of the auction. Total payment must clear before vehicle and title are released. No exceptions.
Thank you for your interest and have a great eBay day!