Superformance Shelby Cobra MKIII Roadster 1965 - Lots of upgrades
Price: US $64,995.00 Item location: Boca Raton, Florida, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Shelby
- Model: Superformance Cobra MKIII
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: Roadster
- Year: 1965
- Mileage: 1,036
- VIN: CA864888
- Color: Royal Blue/White Stripes
- Engine size: 351W (427cu.in)
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Power options: Air Conditioning
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1965 Shelby Superformance Cobra MKIIIHello buyers,
Please pay special attention to this post and read it entirely, as this is quite possibly one of the best, if not the best Superformance Cobra ever listed for sale on Ebay or anywhere online. I will assume that if you are looking at Superformance is because you know this is the only way to go if you want a Cobra that gets as close as possible to an original in every aspect. But even as good as they are from the factory, I have upgraded my car to make it the best it can be by adding better parts and features, while keeping it drivable and reliable for every day use if wanted. This car has never been raced or tracked, and has always been kept safe from the elements in my garage.
Now, here is the list of features that make this car unique:
- Chassisnumber is 251.. That means, very rare early production model.
- Custom build for Kenny Bernstein, who is the original owner, in 2002. Sold by House of Cobras in California. This car has the coveted SB-100 CA exemption.
- Engine is a Ford 351W, bored and stroked to 427 cu.in. The motor was completely overhauled in 2015 by MPR Racing in Boynton Beach, FL. I can provide the build sheet with all specs and parts used. This motor overhaul by itseld came in at a cost of $15,000. Currently, the motor produces an estimated 650hp at the flywheel, and it has just 1,036 miles on it. Brand new odometer/speedometer was installed when the engine was overhauled, so these are the actual miles. Speedometer cable and gear were also replaced.
- Wheels are 17" polished aluminum Halibrand style. 17" x 9" Front, 17" x 11" Rear. Very rare to find these wheels on Cobras out there. I've only seen a handful. Wheel spinners were replaced for new ones in 2012.
- Tires were also upgraded to Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, 275/40R17 Front, 315/35R17 Rear. This specific body can accommodate 335/15's in the rear, but I chose these tires because of quality of ride, noise level, adhesion and predictive response. The tires made a night and day difference in the way the car drives and feels. On top of that, they offer great treadwear index.
- As I live in Florida, and our summer is brutally hot and humid, air conditioning was added to the mix. It also has heating, in case you live somewhere that is very cold and want to keep your hands warm while driving.
- Alternator was upgraded to a Powermaster 1-wire 140 amp unit. Battery was upgraded to an Optima Red top 34R. Battery cut-off switch added.
- Brand new MSD 6AL ignition box, MSD distributor cap, rotor, magnetic pickup.
- Brand new starter motor and wiring harness.
- Brand new K&N air filter.
- Modified gas tank to prevent air from entering the fuel line when gas level is low, which is a common and known design problem on this cars. I also installed a brand new fuel pump custom mounted on the side of the gas tank, and increased the fuel lines to #10 lines for increased fuel volume. Fuel filter also replaced.
- Brand new McLeod Street Extreme clutch, rated at 700hp. It was installed just 20 miles ago, so I'm driving the car to break it in. It is recommended that the car is driven for 400-500 miles before driving at full throttle again and/or abusive clutch use until it properly sits. If I don't get to drive those miles before the car sells, please keep this in mind. I know, it will be hard to contain yourself, but it will be worth the effort.
- All braided hoses and fittings replaced with better quality components in 2015. Hoses are now black to improve looks as well. Cooling system complete flush and new hoses also came in at the same time.
- New timing cover, new racing spark plugs, new custom made engine gaskets.
- Custom crankcase evacuation system added to improve engine performance and reduce pressure and temperature.
- Chrome dress up parts and LED light strips added for improved looks and show appearance.
- Brand new, custom fabricated Racequip racing harnesses made by Trackside Tim's.
- Carburetor was taken apart, hot tank cleaned, and all parts changed. New floater and jets.
- Exhausts on this car are polished, and they are polished again every year. Heat shields were added.
- It comes with the soft top and side windows. No tonneau cover included.
- When engine was overhauled, all parts were hot cleaned and polished, including the fuel pump and intake manifold.
I have owned this car for the last 8 years, and took care of it and made it better in every possible I could. Now, 3 kids later and no time to enjoy it anymore, I decided to part from it. It pains me, but it truly deserves a new owner that appreciates the car for its history, and will continue to keep it as one of the best Cobras out there. You cannot simply buy the parts and make it what it is, as most things have been custom made. Everything included, it will cost you close to $100k to reproduce this vehicle.
I have been to numerous shows, won awards, seen, heard, and driven other Cobras. I can tell you with authority that I have only found one that I consider a head to head comparable car. And I have not heard any other that sounds like this, period.
By the way, I almost forgot... I will include a number of accessories and extras I have purchased since I own the car. This includes a spinner removal tool, lead hammer for spinners, security wire, an extra set of sunvisors (brand new), anti-seize lubricant for spinners, an whatever else I find that I'm forgetting at this time.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have, or even better, call Oakes McKee, owner of Oakes Auto in Boca Raton, FL. He has been the only guy that has ever worked on this car, and has worked on almost 200 of them in his career. Ask him anything you want about Victor's Cobra, and you'll be very pleased to hear everything he has to say. His number (561) 367-8534.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and wish you all the best of luck bidding on my very special beast.