1955 PORSCHE 550 SPYDER BECK RE-CREATION - BEAUTIFUL, TIGHT & VISCERALY FAST
- Condition: Used
- Make: Porsche
- Model: 550 SPYDER
- SubModel: 550 SPYDER
- Type: SPORTS
- Trim: BLACK
- Year: 1991
- Mileage: 10,000
- VIN: CA000000000567518
- Color: PORSCHE ALPINE SILVER
- Engine size: HORIZONTALLY OPPOSED 4-CYL
- Number of cylinders: FOUR
- Fuel: GASOLINE
- Transmission: 4-SPEED
- Drive type: R.W.D.
- Interior color: BLACK
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1991 Porsche 550 SPYDER 550 SPYDER
THE PORSCHE 550 SPYDER, VERY BRIEF HISTORY:-
The Porsche 550 Spyder was inspired by the original Porsche 356. From 1951, orsche 356 prototypes were built and raced by Walter Glockler. His successes led to Porsche’s decision to build the first Porsche specifically developed for racing -the 550.
The engine was based on the VW Beetle flat-4. It had shaft-driven, win overhead camshafts, roller-bearing crankshaft and dual ignition. Displacement was 1498 cc to qualify forthe 1.5-liter class. The mid-located engine was fed by a pair of Solex carbs, t produced 110 bhp at 6200 rpm. With an aluminum, onocoque body maximized for compactness, erodynamics and lightness, he car weighed around 1300 lb. All the factory 550 Spyders were silver in color.
The first three were hand-built prototypes. 550-03 raced as a roadster at the Nurburgring Eifel Race in May 1953, inning its first race. 550-05 was introduced to the general public at the 1953 Paris Motor Show.
Over the following years, he Werks Porsche Team evolved and raced the 550 with outstanding success and it was recognized wherever it appeared. With the 550, orsche was the first manufacturer to organize, xternal, acing sponsorship.
The Porsche 550 Spyder became an active participant on European and US championship circuits between 1953 and as late as 1965. Starting in over 370 races, ith approximately 95 overall wins and an additional 75 class wins, he Spyder dominated and/or embarrassed more powerful cars from the prestigious racing stables. The cars were well represented at famous circuits around the world and soon became the racing car of choice for privateers, arning the reputation of ‘Giant Killer’.
Only 90 cars were built with 78 being sold to the public for motor sport purposes. For such a limited number of builds, he 550 Spyder was always in a winning position, sually finishing in the top three in its class. The beauty of the 550 was that it could be driven to the track, aced and then driven home which showed its incredible flexibility.
THE JAMES DEAN SAGA:-
For the younger among us, ames Dean was a movie idol of the fifties. He starred in the major, ovie successes East of Eden, ebel without a Cause and Giant with the film stars of the day including Elizabeth Taylor, ock Hudson, al Mineo, atalie Wood, ulie Harris, aymond Massey, ennis Hopper and others.
However, is passion was racing. After a succession of fast cars, otorbikes, treet and track races, n 1955, e traded his Porsche Super Speedster for a brand new Porsche Spyder 550. While his racing activities were contrary to the wishes of and his contract with Warner Bros, his did nothing to deter him.
After breaking up with girlfriend and film star Ursula Andress he was returning home when, hortly after being cited for speeding, e collided almost head-on with a Ford Custom Wagon. The Porsche was demolished and James Dean died at the scene.
At the age of 25 and the height of a movie career, his was, f course, ajor international news. The side effect of which was the increased, nduring fame of the Porsche 550 Spyder.
MY 1955 PORSCHE 550 SPYDER:-
My car is actually a 1991 reconstruction by the famous Chuck Beck. Chuck started making them in 1982 and his 550’s are widely acknowledged as being the most accurate and solidly constructedreconstructions while capturing the very essence of the original 550’s with incredible handling and typical Porsche/VW reliability.
Why replicas? They are all that us lesser mortals have to aspire to now. Of the original 550’s that still exist, ne is in Ralph Lauren’s famed collection of classic cars and another belongs to major Porsche fan, erry Seinfeld. The last known, riginal sale was atthe Goodings auction at Amelia Island in March, 012 for $3.685m – as featured in Keith Martin’s “What’s My Car Worth” on the Velocity channel.
Some of the replicas on the roads today have been made to look like James Dean’s “Little Bastard”, s he christened his car. Mine has stayed faithful to the original, orsche look.
The paintwork is almost immaculate with no rust (fiber glass) and no stress cracks but it does havesomeminor stone chips (I think there are 4!). As you can see from the photos, ven the underside is noteworthy. The mileometer reflects a tad over 10,000 miles. While I can’t substantiate this, have absolutely no reason to disbelieve it. 10,000 miles in 24 year equals an average ofaround 35 miles a month. Just enough to keep everything as it ought to be.
The engine is a horizontally-opposed, -cylinder of 1,951 ccs, utting out approx. 125 bhp, t’s in excellent condition. It'sfed by 2 twin-choke, own-draught Dellorto carburetors (the afficianados rate better that either Solex or Weber) with chrome air filters, s fitted with an oil cooler and oil temperature gauge and drives through a trouble-free, -speed, anual, earbox.
At 10,000 miles I figured a special servicing was desirable and I have recent, aintenance bills for just about everything to which one needs to pay attention even having had the carbureters sent out to be rebuilt. In total, have spent nearly $6,000 since my purchase.
Brakes are the traditional mix of discs in the front and drums at the rear. The front tires are recent Michelin XZX 165SR15 Radials while the rears are Michelin XH4 205/70/R15 95S Radials. The rear wheels have been typically set up with slight positive camber to minimize wear to the inners of the tires under acceleration.
With an incredible power-to-weight ratio, oth the acceleration and handling are legendary and, ith the low height, eating and windshield, he whole experience is “go-kart-like" not to mention the incredible sounds from the exhaust.
The engine compartment is beautifully detailed with chrome fittings and is exceptionally clean and well maintained.
Paintwork is Porsche Alpine Silver throughout with a black interior.
It has the correct detailing and vintage authenticity.
The period gauges and supplementary oil pressure and temperature gauges are operative. There is a copy Nardi, ood-rimmed steering wheel. All knobs are from billet aluminum.
The wheels are chromed as are the lug nut covers.
There is a center-hood, uick-release, hromed fuel filler.
All the lights and their gaskets are in great condition.
Security and rain protection are provided by a brand new, lack, anvas, onneau cover.
Crow, intage and little used,racing seatbelts are fitted, ive-point to the driver’s side and lap to the passenger’s.
Under the hood there is an un-used EMPI tool kit, ack, tc., nd tire inflator kit (a more'modern', ightweight Porsche touch).
There are twin, eather safety straps to the rear, lam shell.
Traditional rear view is complemented by a matching-color, intage, pyder Mach 1 fender mirror, ust as the original cars.
IF YOU WILL BE IN SOUTH FLORIDA AND YOU'D LIKE TO SEEMY CAR "UP-FRONT AND PERSONAL" PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL FOR AN APPOINTMENT. IF YOU'D LIKE MORE DETAILS OR ADDITIONAL PHOTOS, LEASE ALSO CONTACT ME.
Perthe photo, he car was registered in California and I have clear, lorida title in my personal name. Buyer will be responsible for knowing title, tc., egulations for his/her own State. If required, can assist with arranging transportation to you at your cost.
If you have any questions or want more of my many photos, lease do not hesitate to contact me either by phone at (954) 463-5300 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have done my best to describe and photograph my car honestly. However, strongly suggest that either a prospectivepurchaser orher/his agentcomes to inspect my car prior to purchase - by appointment only please.
The purchaser is buyingthe carentirelysubsequent tohis own or his agent's personal examination, nspection and opinion or decision to forego such. Deciding not to inspect or have the car inspectedis the purchaser's decision and is at purchaser's sole risk. No statements or such that mayoccur in this or any other material shall create a representation or warranty. Typical ofclassic cars;the sale will be on the basis of "AS IS"and "WHERE IS" with no warranties or guarantees of whatsoever nature being given or implied and under the strict and sole terms of a mutually agreed Sale and Purchase Agreement and a Bill of Sale.
Thank you so much for your interest.
IAN GAIL in FORT LAUDERDALE, LORIDA.
Please also see my extensive stock of classic, ritish (mainly) sports car parts, ccessoriesand vintage rally bits at:www.stores.ebay.com/tradervic101_incorporated
Thank you for your interest and good luck with your buyingor bidding.
Terms and conditions :- First an apology, don't like having to have terms and conditions but I have to be business-like, pologies to the thousands of honest eBayers out there!
1) Contact must be made within 3 daysafter thesale.
2) Payment must be received within 5 daysafter the sale.
3) If you bid / win an item by mistake please contact me to resolve.
4) If contact and payment is not made within the above time limits, he item will be relisted and I will use the non-paying bidder process to recover my fees.
5) I always obtain proof of posting and, here possible, racking. The latter will be posted with the sold item. In cases of non-delivery it will be up to you to claim.
6) If you want your item(s) sent recorded, xpedited, vernight, tc., elivery at additional cost to you, lease make this request by asking me for an invoice and stating this in the "comments" section.
7) If you purchase more than one item I will do my best to save you money on shipping. You will pay the specified shipping amounts in each case and I will subsequently refund you any savings.
8) If you are an international buyer, lease be patient as delivery can be delayed by customs procedures. All customs duties and any other such charges, tc., re clearly your responsibility. In view of the lack of respect some countries have for mailed items, will not be held responsible for loss, amage or breakage of an item/s while in international transit. That's what insurance is for.
9) I do my best to be a good communicator and I will email you when your item is despatched.
10) If you are satisfied with your purchase, lease post positive Feedback as soon as possible. My reputation is very important to me for obvious reasons.
11) If you are not satisfied with your item for any reason please contact me to resolve the problem.
12) All returns are at buyer's expense and any refund/s willnot exceedthe original purchase price of the item/s less all non-refundable ebay charges andexcluding all outbound shipping costs.
13) Items to be returned will only be acceptedby prior, ritten, utual agreement and if they are in exactly the same condition as when they left me.
14) Florida law requires that, n behalf of the State,I collect sales tax on the purchase price, nclusive of shipping costs, n all items sold to Florida residents.
15) If you buy or bid, t means you find above terms and conditions acceptable, o correspondence will be entered into regarding any of the above points.
16) The successful buyer is to pay me a non-refundable deposit of $1,000.00 via Paypal within 24-hours of the purchaseand to complete the purchase by paying the balance within five business days thereafter via cash, ashier's check (subject to clearance) or bank wire transfer.