Porsche 914 - V8
- Make: Porsche
- Model: 914
- Year: 1973
- Mileage: 0
- VIN: 4732922653
- Engine size: V8-5.0 litre Small Block Chevy
- Transmission: Manual
- Options: removable targa top
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1973 Porsche 914
I bought this 914 in 1993 with the intent of doing a basic restoration – but once I found out it was going to cost roughly $3k in OEM parts to rebuild the engine (and end up with a whopping 95 hp), I decided to investigate putting a V8 in it. I chose the Renegade Hybrid conversion kit and a 5.0 liter SBC. I began the restoration/conversion, but with 3 small kids – things got kind of stretched out. The conversion/restoration was largely complete in 2006 but then family life got even busier and I put the vehicle in storage until this year when I wrapped things up.
I developed the car so that it could be a fun weekend car, or with a bit more work - raced (autocross, oval, strip or road-course) or a show-car. Here is what I’ve done to it:
- Body: All rust was cut out (exterior body panels and notorious engine bay battery tray) and replaced with new steel, House of Kolor “Lime-Time-Pearl-Green” paint applied inside & out, 5-spoke Fuchs 911 wheels.
- Suspension: Front suspension replaced with 911 components (all new bushings, ball-joints etc.), 22mm front sway bar, 16mm rear sway bar, 22mm front torsion bars, 200# progressive rear springs, chassis and rear trailing arms stiffening kit, adjustable Koni shocks at all four corners.
- Brakes: front brakes (calipers/rotors) upgraded to 911, rear brake are 914 with a 5-lug conversion.
- Engine/Drivetrain: rebuilt Chevy 307 bored .030” over, Edelbrock intake and Performer seriescarburetor, MSD electronic ignition-coil-distributor, custom stainless steel exhaust, Porsche 901 transmission modified by California Motorsports to 4-speed transmission (built for V8 applications), 911 axles/CV joints, high-performance 9” clutch kit (Renegade).
- Renegade Kit Components: base conversion kit, plus Renegade upgrades: custom aluminum radiator, wiring harness, ceramic coated headers, hi-torque starter, air-conditioning kit, heater kit.
- Interior: Semi-custom interior, original seats reupholstered, stainless steel dash-face, and custom gage face plate and Auto Meter gages, new carpet, Momo shift knob, custom sport steering wheel.
The only things I haven’t finished hooking up are the AC and the windshield washer system. The car drives/brakes strong – but would benefit from additional sorting to get everything optimized (it has been stored for the past 10 yrs.). Additional detailing with regard to wiring would also create a fully finished look.
Now that the car is complete – the kids are grown and unfortunately, we could really use the proceeds from this car for college tuition.
It’s really a cool, one-of-a-kind V8 powered, mid-engined German go-kart – good luck bidding!