1968 Porsche 911 L *911L*
- Make: Porsche
- Model: 911
- SubModel: L
- Type: Coupe
- Doors: 2
- Year: 1968
- Mileage: 74,235
- VIN: 11805337
- Color: Metallic Gold
- Engine size: 6 cylinder
- Number of cylinders: 6
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual
- Transmission speeds: 5
- Drivetrain: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: Leather Seats
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1968 Porsche 911 LYou are looking at my 1968 911L that I've had in my life for 21 years
This is a beloved family member that's been carefully kept. It's both a driver and a near-show quality rare specimen...the 1968 911L. The "L" was a 1-year only Porsche model and served as a replacement for the "S" which was non-compliant with U.S. emission regulations. The "L" was introduced as the topline model featuring "S" suspension and brakes without the "S" motor.
I've documented our journey over the past couple years on my instagram feed(click this link to check out my "pynhead" instagram feed featuring this #gold911L) including a Portland to LA 1200 mile coastal trip in June 2015 to get the car back to Los Angeles. The car ran perfectly over the 1200 miles and remains in near perfect mechanical condition.
My friends over at Petrolicious shot a wonderful film on the car and have a detailed description on their website.
CLICK THIS LINK FOR THE DETAILED LISTING AT PETROLICIOUS.COM
One of the reasons I wanted to bring this car back to LA before selling her was to have my friends over at Petrolicious shoot this film documenting the car and it's history. It's an icon that is woven into 4 decades of the LA music scene. While I don't suspect it'll make the car more "valuable" it is something that needed to be documented for myself and for the next owner.
Here's the video:
I'll list off some of the details for this car in quick fashion. If you are interested in this car please visit the micro-site dedicated to the documentation of this car at the Petrolicious site...there's really no need to replicate too much of it here but for highlights sake:
- Original window sticker
- Originally purchased by Paul Rothchild...the 5th member of "The Doors"
- Given to David Anderle in 1970 while they both worked at Elektra Records in Hollywood
- David Anderle gave it to me in 1995 when we were working together at A&M Records
- Car was restored in 2005 and has been driven sparingly since the restoration
- David was very meticulous and he saved every receipt dating back to 1968 including the original sales receipt and window sticker. These will be passed onto the new owner
- 74K documented miles
- Repainted car to a special-order Porsche color "Metallic Gold" however the car was originally a special order color called "Metallic Green"
- Rare Recaro seats dealer installed in 1970
- US mandated (ugly) side-markers removed during respray in 1977
- I've discovered absolutely no rust throughout....nearly perfect condition with the exception of a few paint chips from the recent 1000+ mile road trip
- The heater boxes removed and hi performance exhaust installed in 2005
- Burns absolutely NO oil and NO leaks and compression test checks out as normal. I had Dorian at DV-Mechanics.com here in Los Angeles (formerly of "Singer" Vehicle Design) perform a pre-sale inspection for anyone who might not have the opportnunity to have the car examined prior to purchase
- Everything works (clock/gauges/lights)
Original rare black 5.5" Fuchs wheels. All perfect condition and restored back to new condition
- All chrome in new condition
- We kept a few original elements during the restoration including this sticker as well as most of the dash and gauges (that are in great original condition)
- Original complete tool kit
- The only work to do on the car (if you choose) would be to replace the window felts as the windows are sticky on rolling up/down.
- Porsche Certificate of Authenticity proving original drivetrain and it's "L" originality (see link to Flickr album below for additional documentation)
- No AC (as delivered) and the AM/FM radio currently in the vehicle was an "upgrade" installation by David Anderle in 1975. We replaced the speakers in 2005 and the system works adequately (not that you will want to listen to music while driving this car)
- The car is currently registered in Oregon but, as you can see, we have the original California Black Plates for the next owner
- This car was featured in the July 2016 issue of "Speedster" magazine (French Porsche Enthusiast Mag) and here's an image from the feature
- You can read the entire article on my Flickr account album which is dedicated to documenting this car. There's lots of great shots of the car as well as David Anderle and Paul Rothschild with Jim Morrison, The Cure, Rita Coolidge, Kris Kristofferson and Brian Wilson (the original owners prior to myself)
My Flickr 1968 911L PHOTO ALBUM HERE
I believe i have a lower than expected reserve on the car given recent sales of "L" examples and the condition of this particular car. I'm really notassigningany additional "value" to the car's story for the record. I'm assuming the story is just something cool about this car that I'm hoping gets embraced and preserved by the next owner.
Good luck bidding and I'm happy to answer any questions and/or give you a showing/inspection as requested.
The car is garaged in Hollywood, CA.