Porsche 924 Turbo (931) Holbert Superwide
- Condition: Used
- Make: Porsche
- Model: 924
- SubModel: Turbo (931) Holbert Superwide
- Type: Coupe
- Trim: Turbo (931) Holbert Superwide
- Year: 1980
- Mileage: 51,807
- VIN: 93A0153376
- Color: Alpine White
- Engine size: 2.0L Turbo
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Rocket Fuel
- Transmission: Manual 5-speed
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1980 Porsche 924 Turbo (931) Holbert Superwide
This is a rare opportunity to own a very special and unique car. In nearly 30 years of Porsche ownership, I have NEVER seen another. It is 1980 series 1 924 Turbo (931) with a fiberglassHolbertRacing Superwide body kit and spectacular euro Martini striping. No rust. No leaks. No funny noises. It has a limited slip 5-speed G31 transmission with a black interior in great condition and manual sport seats. You can handily embarrass your 944 turbo, Cayman S and 911 friends as it is very fast. A wolf in wolf's clothing.
I recently talked to PCNA in Atlanta about this car. They reported that it was born on July 3, 1980 and it was presented for sale at Herman+Miller Porsche in Parsippany NJ.According to PCNA, the car was built with the following features and options:
- Engine #: 31023388
- Transmission #:0203376
- Alpine white
- Black partial leather interior
- Manual sport seats
- Limited slip transmission
- Rear wiper
- Electric antenna
- Sport group (M471)
- Goodyear tires
- US standard emissions
The car was purchased new from Herman+Miller Porsche Audi by a long-time NNJR PCA member on July 31, 1980. By his request, the bespoke Holbert superwide body kit was purchased from Holbert’s and installed in 1983 by John and Ray Paterek at Paterek Brothers in Chatham, New Jersey, USA. The car was used for Driver’s Education and Porsche Club events through the 80’s and 90’s and when ready to sell in 2000, the first owner brokered the car through Mike Bavaro at Bodymotion in Ocean Township, NJ, USA. The car was sold to the second owner late in 2000 and I bought the car in-person from the second owner in 2003. I have owned it since then.
The car has been garage-kept and under cover since my purchase in 2003 and I’ve added about 7k miles during that time. I’ve maintained it of course, have done many upgrades and continue to enjoy it immensely. She comes out for car shows, Porsche club events and your typical “cars & coffee” gatherings, always drawing a crowd. I have never tracked the car, preferring shows and spirited (completely legal of course) back road drives.
Mileage is true and correct, title is clean and all documentation I have compiled for the vehicle is included. If you want pictures of anything you don’t see here or if you have any additional questions, please let me know.
Features as the car sits today:
- Fully documented three-owner history from the day it was born
- Starts, runs, turns and stops as it should
- Numbers matching
- 51,xxx actual miles
- Holbert Racing Superwide fiberglass body kit installed by Paterek Bros.
- Approx 2775lbs with a full fuel tank
- Approx 200hp/200ft lb on 50/50 93+100 octane at 11-12 lbs boost. More on straight 100 octane race gas.
- Porsche Factory Euro Martini Stripes
- BBS 9x15 and 11x15 3-piece wheels. 225/50/15 and 285/40/15 tires
- Rare Carrera GT spec 6.10 K26 turbo
- Smooth-shifting limited slip G31 “dogleg first” 5-speed
- Billy Boat B&B stainless steel cat-back exhaust
- PWR air-water intercooler, pump and radiator
- Aftermarket oil cooler
- Audi 5000 large throat throttle body
- Calloway micro-fueler. This is the same Calloway that you all know and love. The micro-fueler computer adds fuel via a 5th injector in the intake manifold when the car comes on boost.
- Jet-hot coated, upgraded 596 exhaust manifold
- Black leather manual sport seats with period-correct blue tartan inserts
- In-cabin boost controller
- Green-faced gauges unique to the 1980 924 turbo
- Added gauge package including boost, oil temp and a/f ratio
- Vintage MOMO/Mario Andretti signature steering wheel
- Porsche crest door pulls
- Virtually uncracked, original dash
- Current owner since 2003, non-smoker, garaged, under cover, service records
- A significant spares package is available and can be negotiated at additional cost.
- Currently registered as a Pennsylvania antique car
- Hauls Ass, no foolin
Any changes I made were to add reliability or power. Original, serviceable parts that I removed during my ownership are included with the sale – K26 4.10 turbo, air/air intercooler, original numbers matching tranny, etc.
My philosophy has been to preserve the originality and patina of the car rather than make it perfect so I’d say the exterior is 7/10, especially regarding some light cracking in the right rear quarter panel where the fender flair is attached. It has been this way the whole time I've owned the car and hasn’t gotten worse. I fixed it once years ago, so I think it would be an easy repair if you wanted to do it again.
The rockers have been touched up at some point and the nose is rather low and has taken a beating over the years. Rather than replace it I have chosen to preserve and repair it as I feel this speaks best to the story of this car. So it is a bit chewed up but original to the conversion. It would be an easy item to remove, glass, paint and refit if you wanted.
The interior is pretty good as are the mechanicals. Upgrades (like the PWR intercooler for example) were made to improve reliability, performance or drivability. It also has a high-end Denon stereo that I’ve never listened to (I like the sounds the car makes more than the stereo) but the stereo works afaik.
During my ownership, the car has been maintained by me or by Fairwinds Automotive in Bear DE. PPI is available. Keep in mind that as with any old car, there will always be a few odds and ends that require attention.
- I noticed that the left rear wheel is “dusting” slightly so I think the rear calipers will need to be rebuilt or replaced soon.
- After three or four months of sitting, the car emits some very light oil smoke on startup. I think this is the result of the turbo seals leaking a little oil into the exhaust manifold and when you start the car it burns off. Typical turbo. There is no discernible impact to performance, it uses NO oil, the smoke stops after a few minutes and doesn’t come back, so other than keeping an eye on it, I haven’t worried about it much.
- Despite a new battery, the car has been a little cranky recently during the first start of the day but it always turns over normally with a jump or boost pack, so I’d attribute its reluctance to cruddy grounds or a cracked ignition switch, a common problem for these cars.
Terms of Sale:
- As with any older car, sale is AS-IS, WHERE IS.
- $1000 DEPOSIT must be paid within 24 hours of the buyer either purchasing the vehicle at “Buy it now” price OR when the “best offer” is accepted by the seller.
- NO OPEN TITLE – My signature on the title will be notarized and the title will be completed with the purchaser’s information, date of sale and mileage.
- AGREEMENT-OF-SALE – I will require the buyer to sign, notarize and send to me my agreement-of-sale document. This is not negotiable so please request a copy for your review before you make your purchase decision.
- Buyer may pick up in person at my local address. Or, I will ship to USA or countries shown above. Buyer to make all shipping arrangements from my local address.I will not transport the vehicle to port or depot.
- I will transact with principals ONLY! No agents please.
Please keep in mind that this listing is "Or Best Offer". If you're truly interested,I'm a reasonable guy and am more than happy to listen to your offer.
Iam a 29-year PCA member, Porsche owner and enthusiast.I’ve owned 7 Porsches over the years and 3 of them were 924’s. I’ve enjoyed this Holbert carmorethan any of the others. It is very quick, handles great, makes all the right noises and always draws a crowd. And you will NEVER see another. It is truly one of the great bespoke Porsches out there. I hope any and all subsequent owner(s) appreciate it as much as I have. I will be sad to see it go.
904 906 908 911 914 917 924 928 930 931 933 934 935 937 944 951 956 962 964 968 991 996997 718 LowenbrauGTS GTR "Carrera gt"