1940 Packard One-Twenty (120) Four-Door Club Sedan
- Condition: Used
- Make: Packard
- Model: 120 Four-Door Club Sdean
- Type: Four-Door Club Sedan
- Year: 1940
- Mileage: 103,550
- VIN: 1396-2326
- Engine size: 327 cubic-inch stratight 8
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Transmission: Packard 3-Speed w/ R-9 Overdrive
- Drive type: RWD
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1940 Packard 120 Four-Door Club Sdean
Up for sale is an original un-restored 1940 Packard One-Twenty Club Sedan with custom coachwork by Bohman & Schwartz. Unfortunately, the only proof is in the style: It has Darrin type fenders with running boards deleted. Though exact model production figures aren't available, the 1940 junior sedan is a rarity among pre World War II Packards and one of the most beautiful Packards ever made. The four-door junior club sedan was new to the Packard lineup in 1940 and was produced for only that year. Compared to the touring sedan, the club version featured blank upper rear quarters (no windows) and a rounded trailing edge to the upper portion of the rear door.
I purchased the car with the intention of restoring it but lack of time and funds has forced a change in plans.
The car has a running 1948 327 cubic inch engine and a 3-speed manual transmission with R-9 overdrive, Brakes, gas tank and some chrome have been re-done. The body has a few rust spots with some rust areas repaired when the car was disassembled and painted in yellow primer. There are a few dents but the body is very straight. The car is 95% complete.
Below is a description of various aspects of the car.
- BODY: Excellent condition with minimal dents & dings. Car was disassembled sufficiently to allow all of body to be spayed with primer to stop rust. Some rust under doors (must crawl under car to view), otherwise car is rust-free. One hole through trunk pan, but looks more like it was punched through as opposed to rusted through. Car was re-assembled using only enough bolts and hardware to show completeness and lines of car.
- BUMPERS and BUMPER GUARDS: Appear to have been re-chromed recently. Probably not show quality, but very good condition nontheless.
- INTERIOR: The weakest area of the car. Needs all new new seats, door panels, headliner and upholstery. Seats in car not guaranteed to be correct seats for year & model. Also included is rear seat center armrest that appears to fit correctly. Steering wheel needs to be rebuilt.
- INSTRUMENT PANEL & DASHBOARD: Largely complete with gauges in good condition. Clock included. Missing ammeter, gas guage, and ignition switch
- ENGINE: Original engine has been replaced with a 327 cu in from a 22nd series model. Previous owner started engine for me and ran it briefly.NOTE: There is a current listing on eBay for the original & correct engine for a 1940 Packard 120. The listing can be viewed at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231368366789?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
- TRIM & MOLDING: All there and in need of re-plating.
- GRILL & GRILL SURROUND: All there and in need of re-plating.
- WHEELS & TIRES: Four rims in good condition. Missing spare, hubcaps, and beauty rings. Tires need replacing. Missing jack, jack handle some lug nuts.
- DRIVE LINE: Original transmission replaced with R-9 overdrive unit. Operational status unknown. Original rear end in car, operational status not known.
- GAS TANK: Removed, rebuilt, and re-installed by previous owner.
- GLASS: Intact front and rear window glass with car (see photos). Rear doors have window glass still inside, missing front door window glass, although wind-wing glass this there (visible in photos)
- BRAKES: Previous owner rebuilt brake system.
- CLUTCH: Clutch is in car and appears to be working
- ELECTRICAL: Needs all new wiring (harness) throughout the vehicle
- LIGHTS: Headlights, tail lights, interior dome and parking lights are all present and in good restorable order
- RUBBER: All rubber molding and gasketing needs replacement.
- ITEMS ONCE INSTALLED IN CAR BUT NO LONGER PRESENT: Radio, radio antenna, heater.
No anti-theft number on cowl of 1940 Packards
The final picture is of an identical car fully restored to give you an idea of how the car will look when finished.
Questions? Please feel free to ask via eBay or direct them to my email: email@example.com
Purchaser must provide $500 deposit within 48 hours of purchase and balance must be paid within seven (7) days. Car is located 35 miles north of San Diego and must be picked up within 3 weeks (21 days) of purchase.