1967 RHD Amphicar 770
- Condition: Used
- Make: Other Makes
- Model: Amphicar
- SubModel: 770
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: Black
- Year: 1967
- Mileage: 1,450
- VIN: 200088
- Color: Green
- Engine size: 4 Cylinder Gas
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gas
- Transmission: Ambidextrous--land and sea
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Tangerine/White
- Options: Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1967 Other Makes Amphicar 770
This Amphicar 770 is one of only 89 right hand drive ever produced. It is estimated that less than 15 survive and only three are known to exist in the US. With Vin #088, this was the second to last RHD Amphicar ever produced. Some of the Amphi’s details corroborate the fact that it was a very very late vehicle:
i.Black undercoating in the interior of the hull
ii.Pedestal stops under the brake and clutch pedals
iii.Blackout dash AND blackout door tops on the left and right
iv.Black top and black side bumpers on a green car
v.Interlocking nav light, which only operates when the prop shafts are engaged
The Amphi at hand spent several decades in a museum and current ownership has been long-term. The Amphi has undergone a sympathetic restoration which included new paint, thorough cleaning and a comprehensive mechanical re-freshening. Fuel and brake systems have been completely redone and the car otherwise has been kept as original as possible. This is truly an exceptional Amphicar, one of the smallest production runs. We believe it was originally destined for Ireland. We should also note that this car has a European VIN plate which differs from the US vin plate in its shape and style as well as European rear reflectors and yellow driving lights.
The Amphicar, designed by Hanns Trippel in 1958, manufactured by IWK, one of the largest German conglomerates and 25% shareholder in Mercedes Benz. They also owned Mauser Machine & Tool Company and Mauser Guns, among other holdings. Trippel was successful in convincing IWK to build machinery to stamp out the sheet metal for the car, while almost all other components were sourced from readily available German and British auto manufacturers.
Most electrics were Lucas from England along with well proven Triumph 1147 engine used in early Spitfires and all Triumph Heralds. Lights, horn and gas tank were likewise sourced from other manufacturers, including BMW and Volkswagen.
The Transmission was a modified Porsche 356 transmission adapted by Hermes for the Amphicar application. All in all, approximately 3,000 Amphicars were built, with an estimated 600 surviving today. The Amphicar was delivered in four colors only; white, red, lagoon blue and green. Original detail is impeccable.
TheAmphicar Model 770was launched at the 1961New York Auto Show, and marketed in the United States from 1961-1967.
The Amphicar's engine was mounted at the rear of the craft, driving the rear wheels through a 4-speed manual transmission. For use in the water, the same engine drove a pair of reversible propellers at the rear, with a second gear lever engaging forward or reverse drive. Once in the water, the main gear lever would normally be left in neutral. By engaging first gear as well as drive to the propellers when approaching a boat ramp, the Amphicar could drive itself out of the water. The Amphicar engine had a power output of 43hp.Designated the "Model 770", the Amphicar could achieve speeds of 7knotsin the water and 70mph (110km/h) on land.
PresidentLyndon B. Johnsonwas known as an owner of an Amphicar. Johnson, a known practical joker, was said to enjoy frightening visitors at his Johnson City, Texas ranch by driving them downhill in his Amphicar, directly into his property's lake, all the while shouting that he had malfunctioning brakes.