1966 Sunbeam Alpine with 107K Original Miles (Tiger's little brother)
- Condition: Used
- Make: Other Makes
- Model: Sunbeam Alpine
- Type: Convertible
- Trim: Convertible
- Year: 1966
- Mileage: 107,935
- VIN: B395005269
- Color: Blue
- Engine size: 1725 cc
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Manual 4 speed
- Drive type: RWD
- Interior color: Black
- Options: Convertible
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1966 Other Makes Sunbeam Alpine
This is a really nice Sunbeam Alpine with an incredibly low 107,935 original miles. This classic runs and handles great and is much more affordable than many other English sports cars, such as Triumph TRs or an MGAs or MGBs or Austin Healys. These are definitely an up and coming collectibles, with the soaring prices on Sunbeam Tigers (260 V8 versions) and so-called "Algers," (V8-converted Alpines). Search around on eBay or Craigslist to see what I mean.
This model--the Series V-- which ran from 1966 to 1968, is considered the most "refined" model of the Alpines and Tigers. This model came with the largest, most lively engine produced in the small Alpines, the 1725 cc (1.7L) with dual Zenith carburetors. This car comes with the completely original drivetrain. The engine number and VIN match. (see photos).
Quick History: This Alpine was purchased new in 1966 by a man in Vancouver, Washington. He owned and drove it daily until his death in 1986. It was then stored indoors by the family until early 2015. Now practically a family heirloom, it was then removed from storage, painted and partially restored, and purchased by a gentleman in Newport Beach, California who zipped around his neighborhood in it for a couple of months and then got busy and parked it. I then bought it from him in June of last year. The clear title (pink slip) is in my own name. I have enjoyed doing some needed maintenance on it and have put maybe 20 miles on it myself.
Bottom line is that the car is in effect a one-owner car. I estimate it has been driven under 50 miles in the past 30 years!
· Repainted in early 2015. Original color was artic white. The body was reportedly solid, not rusty. It did have two small dents that were repaired.
· Fuel tank was cleaned and carbs serviced.
· New battery
· New points and plugs
· New rear brakes and driver's rear brake cylinder
· All fluids have been changed: engine oil, transmission oil, rear end oil, brake system flushed and bled.
· Newer convertible top
· Front disk brakes inspected
· Completely original drive train
· 1725-cc four cylinder five main bearing engine runs strong. Dual zenith carbs (runs great!). No smoke or blow-by.
· Brakes: rear shoes just replaced. Brake fluid flushed and system bled
· Transmission shifts through all four gears and reverse. Clutch grabs well with no slipping. The 3rd gear synchro is worn. This is a pretty typical issue and not too difficult or expensive to repair. The car comes with an extra transmission for parts. I just replaced the transmission gear oil.
· Rear end runs quietly and oil just replaced. Makes no howling or clunking noises. The car comes with an extra rear end for parts.
· Newer convertible top. No tears in the top but I did notice two small repairs (approximately 3"). Rear window clear.
· Respray of paint is good but not perfect. Non-original color, but people really seem to like it from the comments I get.
· This is NOT a rusty car! Those of you looking from the snow belt or the East Coast do not have to worry about getting a rusted out car. When it was repainted, it had two small dents. Floors are solid. I have seen NO rot.
· All dash gauges are original except tachometer (aftermarket). Extra gauges included.
· Interior would benefit from interior kit. These are available from a few online suppliers at reasonable prices. Check out Sunbeam Specialties. http://www.rootes.com/catalog3color.pdf. Comes with a tonneau cover.
· 1960s-era nostalgic USA alloy slotted mag wheels. The car comes with the four original steel wheels.
These are super fun little cars and growing in popularity! With the rise in value of the Sunbeam Tigers and other English sports cars, we can expect these original and complete Alpines to steadily rise in value and be in demand.
Bid to win, or make a respectable offer! And I am not looking to trade for other vehicles.
Hagerty's Values on this car show as follows:
Condition 1, April 2016: $27,700.00
Condition 2, April 2016: $17,100.00
Condition 3, April 2016: $10,900.00
Condition 4, April 2016: $7300.00
The reserve is very reasonable and on the low side! Email me with your questions.
Thank you for looking. Happy bidding!
PLEASE READ BEFORE BIDDING
When you have won the auction, please promptly send a $250 a non-refundable deposit through PayPal. The deposit is to be sent within 24 hours of the auction's ending. The balance is to be sent to seller via FedEx or other overnight carrier to be received within 7 days following the auction's end, unless prior mutually agreed to arrangements have been made. Balance of purchase price will be made via cashier’s check or cash. PayPal will be used only for the non-refundable $250 deposit. Once seller has received the balance in full (i.e., cash or the check clears), the title will be sent to Buyer's address via overnight mail. The Buyer will then free to have the vehicle picked up. The seller will be happy to assist in loading the vehicle with Buyer's choice of vehicle transport service.
Bidders, if you are waiting for loan approval to purchase this car, please hold off until you have the cash at in hand. If you are local or wish to pick up the car yourself, I am happy to meet with you. Vehicle is located in Ventura, California (93001 ZIP code), about an hour or so north of Los Angeles. The car is also listed locally.
Disclaimer: This vehicle is sold "as is" and "where is" with no warranty or guarantee of any kind expressed or implied. The Seller has attempted to present complete and accurate information regarding the vehicle in question; the Seller, however, shall not be held responsible for the correct description, authenticity, accuracy, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any perceived or actual incorrectness, imperfection, or defect.
Descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and should not to be construed as a warranty of any type. It is the responsibility of the Buyer / Bidder to have thoroughly inspected the vehicle personally or by Buyer's / Bidder's agent, and to have satisfied himself or herself as to value and to bid based upon that judgment solely. The Seller shall make every reasonable effort to disclose any known defects associated with this vehicle at the Buyer's / Bidder's request prior to the close of auction. The Seller assumes no responsibility regardless of any oral or written statements about the vehicle. Winning the auction means that the Buyer /Bidder has entered into a contract with the Seller to pay for the vehicle, and does not entitle the winner of the auction to perform of have performed a post-auction inspection and subsequently attempt to renegotiate the price. If a prospective Buyer / Bidder wishes to inspect the vehicle, he or she must do so before auction ends. Please email before the end of the auction to arrange for inspection. No inspections will be permitted after the auction has closed. Mileage reported in this posting is the mileage on the odometer and deemed to be accurate but cannot be guaranteed.
Keywords (similar makes and models): MGA, TR 3, TR 4, TR 250, TR 6, Midget, MGB, AC, Sprite, Roots Group