NO RESERVE 1968 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible # MATCHING 400 CID; 344 Vin +Protecto
- Make: Oldsmobile
- Model: 442
- Type: Convertible
- Year: 1968
- Mileage: 42500
- VIN: 344678M263543
- Color: White
- Engine size: 400 CID
- Number of cylinders: 8
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: Automatic
- Interior color: Red
- Vehicle Title: Clean Want to buy? Contact seller!
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1968 Oldsmobile 442 Convertible from myprivatecollection:
- Vin344678M263543 - decodes as 3 = GM Division, 44 = model 442, 67 = body type Convertible, M = Lansing Built, 263543 = productionsequence
- Numbers matching 400 CID engine (same Vin # sequence stamped under #1 spark plug visible with camera phone pic)
- TH (Turbo Hydra-Matic) 400 Automatic Transmission
- Body Data Plate on Cowl shows 02B which is the build date of "February, second week of the month, 1968", which is interesting because I have an original Title in the original owner's name (not a copy) that shows the Title Issue Date of "03/00/68" - just two weeks after the build date (02B). The Data Plate also states correct code 68-33667 (1968 442 convertible), and Trim codes: C1 (Provincial White paint) and TR 945 (Garnet Red interior with bucket seats)
- Starts right up, runs, drives, and stops great. See Receipt for $1,397 of "tune-up/freshen-up" work performed back in April 2019, including Wheel Cylinders, Brake Hoses/Master Cylinder/Brake Booster, etc. New battery also added in May 2019, along with new exhaust system in June 2020.
- Walk-Around VIDEO (Note: this video was done when the car had the incorrect cherry bomb exhaust; which has now been replaced with a brand new exhaust system - including stainless steel trumpet tips)
If Video above does not play, or you are using your Mobile, click here: https://youtu.be/FFA8rEKGHnE
Original Documents (see photos):
- Original Protecto-Plate (Protection Plan) Warranty Card with original ownerâ€™s name, Victor H Mendler, dated February 20, 1968, with Vin # punched and stamped, and the dealer's name, Port Smith Oldsmobile, St Petersburg FL.
- Original Title in 1st Owner's name, Victor H Mendler, showing original purchase date of 03/00/1968, and a date of reissue on 12/11/79 (probably when he paid it off and got the title from the bank or dealer), Note on the back, it's signed by his Power of Attorney, Beth L English, and notarized and dated December 19th, 1979 - which appears to be a sales transfer to Adcock Buick (listed on document); this corresponds to several other documents listed below.
- Original Power of Attorney notarized and signed by original owner, Victor H Mendler, appointing Beth L Englishthe PoA rights and ownership of this car (Vin #) on December 19, 1979
- Original "Reassignment by Licensed Dealer" document notarized and dated, December 19, 1979, from Adcock Buick in St Petersburg, FL.
- Original"Reassignment by Licensed Dealer" document notarized and dated, December 21, 1979, from Mr. Big Auto
- Original Owner's Manual 4-4-2 (printing date October 1967)
- Original Convertible Booklet (Folding Top Operation)
- Original booklet: Quick Facts on Break-in and Operation of your new Oldsmobile
- Original manila colored envelop with the car's Vin # typed on it, along with the larger font stamped "341" which corresponds to the same exact large font "341" stamped in two places within the Warranty Booklet. Note: Also stamped on the cover of the original envelop is the Vin# and " 945-C1" (note "941" is the Trim code, Garnet Red, and "C1" is the paint code, Provincial White - also listed on the data original Body By Fisher Data plate riveted to the cowl/firewall. The manila folder has a few other Numbers/Letters stamped on it, but I am not sure what these refer to: SC 2 and 03000 are typed under the Vin #. And QR8307449 OG-9534 are typed under the Trim/Paint code. Note: I found this manila folder under the front seat when I got the car home and inside was the Protecto-Plate Warranty Book along with the other dealer booklets (all well preserved).
- Car sold to William Lester on 04/07/85 (as documented on a GA registration card)
- Original Insurance and GA registration cards (numerous years) showing the car was owned by William Lester since 04/07/85 and on the road in ElbertonGeorgiathrough all of his34 years of ownership(until I purchased the car from his estate in 2019)
- Any questions or want more photos - please call or text me at 805-236-0210.
Paint:Factory correct color: Provincial White (looks to have been re-sprayed, but dateunknown) and shows original factory Provincial White paint on inside both original fenders and trunk area. Clean shiny paint with a few drip marks,over-sprayon a few underside areas and some small rubber gasket areas (that show small drips of white paint)becausethey should have been removed prior topaint, nicks/scratches. Note: Red fender stripes are done in aVinylapplication and can be easily removed if you prefer a different look.Note the 442 badges on the fenders have not been moved or re-drilled toaccommodatethe fender stripes, so the fenders are factory original (Ibelievebecausethe originalProvincialpaint still shows on the inner fender areas inside the engine bay area; you can see where the taped it during the respray of the exterior). Personal Inspectionrecommendedin order to see paint condition and any smallimperfectionsclose up. Email or Text me and I will send you close up Pics becauseEbay only lets a few pics, so I can't show everything.
Interior:Factory correct Garnet Red Interior; no cracks in dash, steering wheel, seats and door panels are in nice condition, driver's seat has small split which looks like it can be easily repaired(I can send you close-up pics if requested). Also included in the sale is the original radio in the event the buyer would like to reinstall it for the factory correct look (the radio will be bubble-wrapped and placed into a box in the truck upon shipping). Carpetingis OK, but is older and worn (it might even be theoriginal), so I amincludingBrand New 'loop' carpeting in matchingburgundycolor, along with themolded underlaymats, so buyer can install (see "What it Needs" below for more details).
Convertible Top:Brand New Convertible Top with glass window. Works as it should; powers up and down perfectly.
Trunk:super clean, showing no rust holes or rot, just a little bit ofdiscolorationin one small areaundertrunk mat (most likely from moisture under mat). Looks like the original Provincial White paint under trunk deck with what appears to be the original sticker still in place. Note: chrome trim piece above trunk lid has some small pitting (looks to be the original).
Underside:Original floors inbeautifulcondition;unpainted, solid, not rotted and nothidingany unknown rot (see photo).
Tires:Set of older Coker Firestone Wide Oval Redlines mounted on SSII Wheels (see photos).
Bumpers, Lights, Windows,Gauges & Grill:frontbumperis very clean, no rust, but shows a few small swirls that might buff out if needed. Rear Bumper is spotless and looks brand new. I believe that all the exterior and interior lights work as they should (unless I missed one I'm unaware of): checked high beams/low beams (noting it still has the factory correct original T5 light bulbs), blinkers, parking/running lights, trunk light, all interior lights. Windows all look to be original glass marked with "Safety AS-2 LOF Plate Solid Tempered". Front and rear windows have no cracks and roll up/down as they should.Windshieldhas no cracks and looks to be aftermarket (no name). Gaugesall seem to work as they should (speedometer, odometer, gasgauge, all in working order). Front grill is brand new along with 442 badge. Note: some small pitting on chrome trim above headlights (looks to be original trim).
What it needs/recommendations: Needs new carpeting Installed. I have alreadypurchasedthe factory correct carpet (burgundy) andmoldedfloor padding, but have not been able to install it. Good news: I will include the new carpeting and padding for free to the buyer so he or she can install it. And who knows, maybe the build sheet is under the old carpet...wouldn'tthat be nice! I noticed one of the exhaust bolts on the flange snapped off.It's held on now with an exhaustflangeclamp, but it should be extracted and replaced with the correct bolt.Also, if it were me, I would use the old-school looking bias-ply Redlines that are currently on the car for car shows only, and would upgrade to new Radial Redlines from Coker (or just BF Goodrich radials) for a much better and safer ride on the road.
Inspections:you are welcome to visit anytime, so you can inspect and test drive before you bid. We can social distance and I'll be more than happy to let you take her out for a spin on your own as long as you leave me your DL. Located in my climate controlled garage, Cumming GA 30028.Any questions call please call 805-236-0210.I will be happy to answer any questions on this item, send you more specific pictures to ensure you have what you need before bidding.
Title:The car is currently registered in my name with the State of Georgia.This sale comes with a Georgia Bill of Sale only, no Title. Note: GA requires only a bill of sale to register this car (those older than 1986 no longer require titles), so the GA DMV will not issue a new title to me. I believe many states, like Florida for example, will issue you a New Title as long as I give you a notarized Bill of Sale for this transaction and a copy of my current/valid GAregistration- which I have.The previous owner passed away and Ipurchasedthe car from their estate - William and Betty Lester Estate - who issued a Bill of Sale and legaltestamentaryprobatedocumentationof the estate. I will give the buyer those documents as well.Before bidding, please call and check with your local DMV office as states vary.
Payment & Deposit Terms:Non-refundable deposit of $500 must be received within 48 hours of auction end or buyer must call me (805-236-0210)to make specialarrangements/down payment for deposits. Final payment must be received during the next 5 WORKING DAYS. Payment can be made by Cashier's Check, or Wire Transfer Funds, which must be cleared before car leaves my home. Car is available for pick upon confirmation of Funds received. Cash-In-hand also acceptable.
Bidding is a contract:If are the high bidder and the reserve has been met, you own the item. If you cancel a sale for any reason you are subject to a $500 fee. If you claim you made a mistake you are still subject to a $500 fee to cover my expenses and potential loss of another buyer caused by your actions. By clicking buy it now, bidding, or submitting offers you agree to this. Winning the bid does not mean you win thedecisionto come inspect it and then decide, it means you have bought the item and intend to purchase and fund the $500 non-refundableDown Payment within 48 hours. Unless specialarrangementsare made between buyer and seller. I reserve the right to cancel the auction at any time. This will not be done within the last 6 hours of the auction, nor will any bid retraction be accepted. All items are sold in an AS-IS, WHERE IS CONDITION, with NO WARRANTY implied or expressed. All sales are final. Once I (seller) release the car for shipping, it is the your (buyer's) responsibility to protect against any damages.
Warranties:This vehicle is being sold as is, where is with no warranty, expressed written or implied. The seller shall not be responsible for the correct description, authenticity, genuineness, or defects herein, and makes no warranty in connection therewith. No allowance or set aside will be made on account of any incorrectness, imperfection, defect or damage. Any descriptions or representations are for identification purposes only and are not to be construed as a warranty of any type. It is the responsibility of the buyer to have thoroughly inspected the vehicle, and to have satisfied himself or herself as to the condition and value and to bid based upon that judgement solely. The seller shall and will make every reasonable effort to disclose any known defects associated with this vehicle at the buyer's request prior to the close of sale. Seller assumes no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any oral statements about the vehicle.
On Jun-17-20 at 06:53:52 PDT, seller added the following information:
Note: a bidder called about a few typos:"envelop" should be "envelope", and I mistakenly listed "941" on the manila envelope as Trim code which should be "945". Corrections below. Thanks for your feedback.
- Original manila colored envelope with the car's Vin # typed on it, along with the larger font stamped "341" which corresponds to the same exact large font "341" stamped in two places within the Warranty Booklet. Note: Also stamped on the cover of the original envelope is the Vin# and " 945-C1" (note "945" is the Trim code, Garnet Red, and "C1" is the paint code, Provincial White - also listed on the data original Body By Fisher Data plate riveted to the cowl/firewall. The manila folder has a few other Numbers/Letters stamped on it, but I am not sure what these refer to: SC 2 and 03000 are typed under the Vin #. And QR8307449 OG-9534 are typed under the Trim/Paint code. Note: I found this manila folder under the front seat when I got the car home and inside was the Protecto-Plate Warranty Book along with the other dealer booklets (all well preserved).