1965 MORRIS MINI - RESTORED & INTERESTING HISTORY - RED / RED - CA. HISTORY!
Price: US $1,630.00 Item location: Pleasanton, California, United States
- Condition: Used
- Make: Mini
- Model: Classic Mini
- Type: Sedan
- Trim: 2 Door Saloon
- Year: 1965
- Mileage: 59,999
- VIN: MRA254S325092
- Color: Red
- Engine size: 850cc
- Number of cylinders: 4
- Fuel: Gasoline
- Transmission: 4-Speed
- Drive type: FWD
- Interior color: Red
- Vehicle Title: Clear Want to buy? Contact seller!
1965 Mini Classic Mini
1965 Morris Mini
1965 Morris Mini-Minor; White over Red Exterior Paint Scheme
An Older Restoration of a Very Solid Car; Unmolested from Original
Factory Correct Engine & 4 Speed "Magic Wand" Manual Transmission;
Desirable & Unique Right-Hand Drive
NOTE: Our listings are rather lengthy. They not only describe this particular car but also some history of the make/model, onsiderations in buying a classic car and facts about our firm. However, e continually hear from out-of-state / out-of- country buyers (many of our clients) that they prefer the level of detail that we provide. However, f you are not prepared to read the full listing, lease scan the DETAILS below along with viewing the PHOTOGRAPHS at the bottom. If you'd prefer, lease call us at 925-846-1451 and we'll gladly discuss the Mini and answer any questions over the telephone, ncluding our "Buy it Now" policy. Yes, he Mini can be purchased prior to the end of the eBay auction.
PLEASE NOTE: EACH TIME WE LIST A VEHICLE ON ebay WE RECEIVE COMMENTS THAT THERE ARE NO PHOTOS OF THE INTERIOR, NGINE, NDERCARRIAGE, TC. OF THE CAR. THERE ARE CLOSE TO 100 PHOTOS OF ALL AREAS OF THIS MINI, UT WHEN YOU REACH WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE LAST PHOTO, OU WILL NEED TO SCROLL DOWN ON eBay TO VIEW THE REMAINING PHOTOS. IF YOU ARE STILL UNABLE TO SEE THEM, LEASE CALL US AT 925-846-1451 AND WE WILL PROVIDE A DIRECT LINK. NOTE: IT IS A VIOLATION OF eBay POLICY FOR US TO LIST THE URL ON THE eBay LISTING. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU WOULD LIKE ADDITIONAL PHOTOS OF ANY PART OF THE MINI. ALL OF OUR PHOTOS ARE TAKEN IN NATURAL LIGHT AND WE DO NOT "PHOTO-SHOP" OR TOUCH-UP THE PHOTOS IN ANY WAY.
This car is offered at a realistic price and, nlike bidding on cars in an auction environment, ou will have the benefit of extensive information and history on the car prior to making a buying decision. Equally as important is the fact that Classic Cars Ltd. has been in business for 21+ years and enjoys an excellent national / international relationship with over 880 positive eBay feedback responses.
Please keep in mind that we will gladly...
1. Answer any questions over the telephone and take the time to guide prospective customers through the buying process (925-846-1451).
2. Assist with locating a quality, uitable transporter at very competitive prices.
3. Provide proof that we are licensed, onded (for the financial transaction), ully insured, nd operate from an established showroom environment.
4. Provide feedback from previous buyers, nd specific references for vehicle purchases in your area (we also ask that you view our detailed eBay feedback by clicking on the number to the right of the eBay user name)
5. Offer additional information including specific photographs or clarification of any part of our description of the vehicle
Thank you again, lease let me know if I can be of assistance.
Paul R. Wankle, res.
Classic Cars Ltd.
DETAILS-THIS PARTICULAR 1965 MORRIS MINI-MINOR
This particular 1965 Morris Mini-Minor is a car that we have been familiar with since 2002. In fact, e imported the car from New Zealand. At the time we were working closely with a trusted automobile collector in New Zealand who located this particular Mini. The Mini's history is interesting, o say the least.
In order to raise funds for a charitable organization, he New Zealand Mini club was approached to locate and restore a Mini that would be raffled off as a car for the purpose of raising funds for the non-profit. The Mini club asked their members to assemble a group of specialists to locate and restore the car for sale. A very solid original car was found in dry New Zealand and the process of restoring the car began.
The team of restorers consisted of craftsmen including a paint/body expert, echanic, pholsterer and others who utilized their expertise to contribute to the project. When the car was completed, ickets were sold and the women who won the raffle did not have a need for the Mini. Our contact heard about the car, urchased it and it was shipped to the Port of Oakland for delivery to our showroom in 2002.
Before we had the opportunity to advertise the car, friend of Classic Cars Ltd. came into our showroom and fell in love with the car. The rest is, s they say, istory. He has owned the car ever since along with several other collector cars and estimates that fewer than 2,500 miles have been added since his purchase Of course, he car has always been garaged and received maintenance as required.
When the car underwent restoration, he goal was to restore the Mini to stock configuration retaining the original British charm including right-hand drive, riginal color, roper drive-line, riginal interior and retention of the original NZ license plates. The car is charming and while it is no longer a freshly restored car it shows well and certainly has the potential to be used as a driver. The car also offers those who seek a higher level car with the opportunity to address cosmetic issues while enjoying the car. Mechanically, t is very good and has proven to be incredibly reliable for the current owner in addition to doing what a classic Mini does best: provide a high level of fun! The strengths and opportunity areas of the Mini are listed in the sections below.
The Mini has a clean California title under VIN MRA254S325092. It is registered in California with plates 4WBP859. The California rear plate is mounted in full view through the rear window since both front and back license plate areas are occupied by large British plates with the number CU 3536. The current odometer reading is 59,999 miles and is judged "TMU" (Total Miles Unknown) based on the age of the vehicle and the fact that the odometer is non-functional at this time. The speedometer works and appears to be correct although not tested for accuracy.
- Factory Correct BMC engine
- Proper, tock carburetion
- New blue ignition wires
- 4 speed manual transmission w/ floor shift (Original style "Magic Wand")
- Right-hand drive
- Yokohama 165/70R10 tires w/ 5/32" remaining tread; some preferential wear on outer edges
- Excellent 8-spoke MINI LIGHT alloy wheels (made in UK) w/ no curb rash (center caps included but not installed)
- Finished in classic red body (appears to be "Tartan Red") with white top
- Some signs of paint crazing visible upon a close, ritical inspection
- Very solid rust free body and underside (refer to photos), ith minor signs of bubbling on lower portion of passenger door; no door dings
- Excellent front and rear bumpers
- Excellent bright trim along rocker panels and wheel wells (a continuous piece)
- Good stainless trim around windows
- All glass is excellent
- Some denting of chrome grille surround
- Some waviness under front top portion of grille
- Undercarriage appears to be very original and freshened at the time of restoration; remains very clean
- Nicely red painted dash and window frames
- Nice red upholstery pads in doors and dash shelf area
- Considerable denting of narrow bright trim strips on door pockets and rear seat side pockets (available and a very inexpensive fix)
- Excellent black carpet
- White headliner is taut but shows yellowing at various areas from aging (probably original and not changed at the time of the restoration)
- Right-hand drive with original, ifficult to find stock steering wheel and horn center
- Rear windows pop out at rear as designed
- Both front side windows slide as designed and seal tightly
- 3-point seat belts for front seats (required by New Zealand law)
- Red seat coverings generally good but faded and some defects in driver's seat
- Stock Morris Mini-Minor gauges by Smiths
- Weatherstrip in serviceable condition
- Full size spare tire, ack and lug wrench stowed in trunk
The Mini was restored in the early 2000's from a solid original example sourced from a dry region in New Zealand. It was not significantly altered or modernized. The white top is quite flawless. The red paint, hich looks good from a distance and is free of door dings, as begun to craze crack in addition to some minor bubbling in the very lower portion of the passenger door; a common reality in classic Mini's. The continuous trim strip along the rockers and wheel wells is very nice on both sides. All four alloy wheels and both bumpers are excellent. The grille has some indication of the beginnings of light rust and the chrome surround has minor dents that do not necessarily detract from the overall appearance of the car (all replacement parts can be easily and affordably sourced through local USA suppliers). All glass is excellent.
The seat upholstery is solid, ree from rips and tears but reflects a certain patina from age. The interior has excellent black carpet. The red painted dash and door panels look nice plus the red upholstery pads in these areas are good. There is considerable denting of the narrow bright trim above the door pockets and rear seat side pockets. The headliner is tight but shows some yellow staining. Both door bottoms are solid. Gauges are clear and the speedometer and gas gauge are functional. While characteristically sparse, he interior on the Mini is in nice overall condition.
The engine compartment is tidy, irtually 100% stock and free from excessive oil, irt and is free from rust. While not detailed for sale, t reflects care in ownership and supports the car's mechanical strength.
The trunk is extremely solid and has not been painted since the car was restored when the entire car received a re-paint including the exterior, nterior panels, runk and engine compartment. There is NO rust in the trunk nor are there any signs of body damage or accidents. The underside of the car is what we often refer to as "California clean", ree from rust through and seemingly received detailing when the remainder of the car was refurbished.
The car is also excellent mechanically and drives as designed retaining its factory specification drive-line components. The Mini starts effortlessly, dling consistently and has sufficient power up through the syncromesh gears in 2-4th gears. As designed, st gear is non-syncromesh but the transmission operates properly, oes not pop out of gear, ake unusual noise or exhibit any problems. The car shifts smoothly with the typical longer shift lever "throw" but engages in each gear without any problem. The other major components including the braking system and steering also operate as designed.
The Morris has received regular maintenance by its knowledgeable owner, nd it shows. A recent safety inspection resulted in a clean "Bill of Health" including braking system, ires, uspension and all electrical systems / components. The car is fitted with A008 Yokoyama tires and excellent Minilite" style wheels for improved handling. The car recently received the benefit of needed brake work. The car stops straight and sure with no pulling to either side. The emergency brake is fully functional holding the car even on an incline. Another benefit of the Morris is its turning radius that is very short and designed for use in tight spaces. Finally, here are no overheating issues despite the Morris Mini being used in warm California temperatures approaching 100 degrees.
The major mechanical components are surprisingly good and the car's owner reports that the Morris always starts even after sitting for literally months at a time. It fires immediately with the use of the functional choke and warms quickly. The car runs very well, oes not smoke or use oil in between regular changes.
The Mini's were originally geared basically for around town and this car is a pleasure to drive at "in town" speeds. However, t can be used on the highway and has been taken to car shows by the owner.
The engine sounds like a sewing machine with no unusual noises or exhibit any issues.
The car has passed the required California safety inspection for working wipers, urn signals, ights, rakes, tc.
SPECIFICATIONS OF THE 1965 MORRIS MINI-MINOR
- Wheelbase 80.2"
- Length: 120.2"
- Width: 55.0"
- Height: 53.0"
- Engine: 848 cc / 37 hp
- Carburetion: 1 barrel
- Transmission: 4 speed manual
HISTORY OF THE MORRIS MINI-MINOR
Alec Issigonis's tiny Mini sedan can lay claim to being one of the most significant automobile designs of the 20th Century. The simple design broke all the rules, ith its transverse-mounted, our-cylinder engine, ront-wheel drive, ransmission in the sump, wheel at each corner, nd suspension by simple rubber cones.
Costing only $1,340, he 1959 Mini also offered surprising interior space at only 10 feet long, nd its 848-cc engine could manage 40 mpg when driven carefully. In one step, ssigonis had replaced every three-wheeled microcar, s well as every motorcycle and sidecar, ith a real family sedan. It was a stroke of genius and led to his knighthood.
Minis were originally badged as Austin Seven and Morris Mini Minor, ut soon they were just known as Minis. Their charm was in basic functionality - pull-string door openers, bucket" door pockets, liding windows, shelf instead of a dashboard and a single big speedometer with integrated gas gauge in the center. The rear license plate swung down so the car could be driven with the trunk lid open to handle larger objects. About 945,000 Mk I models were built between 1959-67.
PURCHASING A COLLECTOR VEHICLE - THINGS TO CONSIDER
As always, e recommend that you carefully review the seller's background for any collector car being sold over the Internet. It is important to ask yourself a number of questions including, ut not limited to:
- How long have they been in business?
- How much experience do they have with collector cars?
- How many positive collector car vehicle sales have they completed (positive eBay feedback)?
- How detailed/complete is the description of the vehicle?
- Do the photos show details of the interior, xterior, op, hrome, tc. or are they simply "glamour shots" taken from a distance?
- Does the seller have a Surety Bond to protect the financial transaction?
- What about insurance, icensing by the state, nd a local business license?
- Does the seller (if a business) have any DMV (Motor Vehicle) complaints and/or other history of legal action, rievances?
- Does the seller enjoy a favorable local and national/international reputation?
- Can the seller assist with funding sources, ransport and out of state/country sales?
ABOUT CLASSIC CARS LTD.
- Classic Cars Ltd. has been in the same, mall, alifornia town for over 22 years. We operate a small "brick & mortar", ndoor showroom, nd specialize in the sale, onsignment, nd purchase of sports, igh performance and specialty vehicles of all types. We have a particular interest in sports cars and unique vehicles.
- The majority of our vehicles come from local, rivate owners and collectors, nd many were sold new in California. We appreciate that rust free cars, ith excellent documentation and history are especially attractive to our buyers both locally, nd around the country. As a result, e do not purchase our collectible cars from "distressed" sales, uch as wholesale auctions, alvage sales, r lien sales. We do not sell vehicles with salvage titles, r those that have a history of significant accident damage or repair.
- We have sold hundreds of unique, lassic and collectible vehicles and regularly deal with buyers that have not had the experience of purchasing a large (both physically and monetarily) item on eBay, r through an Internet source. Our eBay feedback is 100% positive on all vehicle sales from customers around the globe and is a reflection of our commitment to accurate, omplete, nd thorough vehicle descriptions.
- We have been shipping vehicles for years and have established excellent contacts that are not only high quality but very price competitive. We do not use brokers, erminal shipping or other discount methods. Call us or email for a quote directly to your home or office. We are often able to obtain quality enclosed transportation (the kind of travel this car deserves) for the cost of open shipping.
- Please review our feedback on eBay (user name Never22Many) representing over 880 positive transactions to buyers all over the United States / World.
- We are fully insured, onded, nd licensed for collector car sales all over the United States/World.
- Classic Cars Ltd. carries a $50,000 Surety bond to cover financial transactions
- We frequently sell vehicles to out of State / out of country buyers, nd will be glad to provide references for buyers in your area.
MISCELLANEOUS GENERAL INFORMATION
- As with virtually all collector/specialty vehicles, e find that parts and resources are readily available for this (and most every vehicle), hanks in large part to the Internet.
- In addition to the purchase price of the vehicle, alifornia buyers will be subject
to sales tax, documentation fee, MV transfer fees and license/registration. Out-of-state buyers will be responsible for the purchase price of the vehicle and any local taxes/fees will be the purchaser's responsibility to pay in their respective state. IMPORTANT NOTE: If the vehicle is delivered or driven in California and driven on California roads, ales-tax, icense/registration and transfer fees will be assessed per California law.
- If you would prefer that we call you to answer any questions about the vehicle; shipping alternatives, tc. please e-mail us with your telephone number and will gladly get back in touch with you. Or, eel free to call us during normal business hours M-S, am - 5:00 pm.
- We encourage inspections of this Mini by serious, ualified individuals or professional inspectors. Please call at 925-846-1451 to arrange a convenient time.
- As with any collectible vehicle of this vintage we are unable to provide a warranty or guarantee of condition. However, e make every effort to accurately represent our vehicles, nd highlight both positive items as well as areas that require attention. We ask that prospective buyers consider our eBay history/feedback, tanding in the community, ength of time in business, nd other factors when purchasing a collectible vehicle from Classic Cars Ltd.
- Minor cosmetic issues/flaws may be present on every vehicle (regardless of cost) including small chips, icks, cratches, tc. that can be seen on even the best restoration, r even a relatively new, sed "pre-owned" vehicle. Also, wnership of a collectible / specialty vehicle is more enjoyable if the owner is familiar with the "realities" of these unique cars. Unlike more modern day vehicles, hese cars require regular, ngoing care/maintenance and some mechanical knowledge, atience, nd understanding can make the experience considerably more pleasant. That said, ollector / "specialty" car owners will tell you (emphatically) that they love their cars and wouldn't trade them for anything!!
- The information contained in this description is believed to be accurate but, n some instances, as been provided by the car's owner / owners or outside sources. As a result, e are unable to guarantee the accuracy of the information. We encourage verification of "numbers" and significant data prior to the purchase of any collector vehicle that you are considering.
Classic Cars Ltd.
Body Type / Style:Coupe Exterior Color:Red Interior Color:Red Engine:4 Cylinder Transmission: 4-Speed (Floor) Mileage:59,999 Drive:Front Wheel Doors:2
3-Point Seat Belts
Original Jack & Tools
Terms & Conditions
- Buyers outside of California will be responsible for a $195.00 fee for processing/administration. The charge will apply if the vehicle is purchased through ebay or before or after the auction, irectly through Classic Cars Ltd.
- The vehicle is listed for sale elsewhere. We reserve the right to end the auction at anytime. We will be glad to discuss details of a "pre-auction" purchase (925) 846 1451.
- Inspections of vehicles are encouraged but (by appointment only) must be completed within 24 hours of the end of the auction.
- Out of state buyers are responsible for the high bid and any shipping costs. California buyers are subject to the appropriate sales tax, MV transfer, nd fees associated with the purchase of any used vehicle sale in the state of California.
- To avoid shipping the title with the car to our out of state buyers, e mail the title via Priority Mail.
- While shipping and transportation costs (if appropriate) are the responsibility of the winning bidder, e can assist with locating a suitable transporter. We regularly ship cars all over the USA/World, nd can often times locate very competitive rates for transporting vehicles door to door, o a local terminal, nclosed, pen, tc. Please call us for specific information/rates to your location.
- We meet some great people and fellow enthusiasts, nd only rarely do we have problems with non-paying bidders. Please be certain that you are prepared to buy the car if you bid, r call us at 925-846-1451 before the end of the auction if we can answer any questions. If you have a "sunglass" rating or fewer than 10 feedback ratings on eBay, lease call us before you bid so that we can discuss the bidding process, tc. If we do not hear from you, e reserve the right to delete your bid.
Thank You & Happy Bidding
Classic Cars Ltd. On Dec-02-15 at 11:49:53 PST, eller added the following information:
Sellers: Delight buyers. Get your own map of past buyers.